Travel and Vaping TSA Asked To Search My Bag. Guess Why..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
I fly typically 4 days a week.. During a 4 day trip, I usually will go through TSA security about 4-6 times. I have been carrying my e-cig gear in my flight bag for about 6 months. Yesterday was the first time that I have ever had a TSA screener ask to search my bag because something did not look right.

I knew something was up because the screener had that look on her face. She called the Supervisor over and he looked at the screen.. He came to me and told me he would have to re-scan my bag. I said "no problem." He then asked me if I had an electronic razor in my bag. I said, "no." He seemed really confused at that.
After the second scan, he asked if I was sure there was not an electronic razor in the bag.. I told him just to open the bag and see for himself. He opened the bag and guess what he found?

My 901 usb passthrough. He said that on the screen in looks like a tube with a wire coming out of it and looks very suspicious. How that looks like a shaver I don't know. He said the amount of wires in my bag always makes them look closer, but this passthrough to the screener looked like something that should not be in a bag at the airport.

He asked what it was and I explained what it is and what it does.. He seemed okay with the explanation, and suggested to me not to carry it around anymore. Not that it was not okay, but because he feared I would keep getting stopped...

I did not tell him that I had that in my bag for 6 months, but since I do not really use it anymore, I took it out of my bag..

Keep this in mind if you are thinking about packing a usb passthrough and are going flying...

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Very simple explanation and easy work around.

Either pack your chargers, USB pass, etc, or fly General Aviation Private.

I not a big fan of the TSA. Due to my line of work (military and ordinance disposal) I was stopped more then one occasion. So, I decide to purchase my own airplane and fly myself to my customers.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Gosh, this is the first I've read of airport security really scrutinising e-cig stuff! Glad it would have gone though OK anyway, but going through security as often as you do it's doubtless best to leave the passthrough at home!

I took my penstyle passthrough on my last USA holiday, and it was in my hand luggage when going through at Gatwick, and it wasn't questioned. Then again, by baggie of liquids was also in my hand luggage as I forgot to take it out. Naughty Gatwick screeners! Anyway, I didn't use it (partly because I went analog crazy, bah) so will leave mine at home as well from now on.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I just went to Tulsa and back from Denver with my penstyle e-cig and charger and only took a carry on and went through TSA without any problems. I gues it depends on the screener.

It depends on how you carry it too. My passthrough is wrapped with the wire in a small plastic webbed sleeve. I have these sleeves around all of my wires, connectors, patch cords, etc.

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Very simple explanation and easy work around.

Either pack your chargers, USB pass, etc, or fly General Aviation Private.

I not a big fan of the TSA. Due to my line of work (military and ordinance disposal) I was stopped more then one occasion. So, I decide to purchase my own airplane and fly myself to my customers.

Yeah.... ummmmm.....wish I could just up and by my own airplane because TSA stopped me a couple of times.
My best,
-VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread