Turbocad's finally selling mods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Ok, so I got this Odis Ultem cap for my ChiNarda. Great cap, & the fit is spot on, but been running a hotter build in it for a couple of days, and noticed today that it has turned clear[emoji848] I don't know if maybe it is not really ultem, or if that is normal for amber ultem to lighten up. The thicker top part is still yellow., but the AFC part is clear. Now, if it is some sort of died plastic, where did the die go? my lungs[emoji33] thought I would ask here since Turbo has been studying ultem.

the more ultem is polished or smoothed, the clearer it gets. hard to say exactly whats causing that, may be a combination of the juice and vapor and heat, although ultem is highly heat resistant and doesn't really polish from heat alone and it's also very resistant to most chemicals too, so not so sure why that's happening tbh :)

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
in the future I'm going to reach out and get everyones preference before I start the batch, but here that wasn't possible because all of the possible options weren't really even shown until the last minute. now after this batch hopefully everyone will know what squonk holes are available and what finishes are available and ideally I'll be able to build from a punch list of what everyone wants, rather than just guessing how many ambers and blacks and amber/black or black/ambers to build and just guessing at how many left and right configurations.

maybe I'm just giving too many choices here, but ideally my goal is to build each person a unique custom mod that's exactly what they want and configured exactly how they want it

ok here is the difference between vapor polished ultem and a regular satin/frosted finish. that polished one is a reject from the last batch of before the heat treating/annealing process, but you can still obviously see the big difference that vapor polishing makes. all ambers are sanded and polished to the point of that satin frosted finish one shown here, actually there sanded a little finer than this and will be a little more see through than this, but not by much. they are then dipped into the vapor polishing chamber. it takes just a few seconds to go from a translucent frosted look to the completely transparent clear as glass high gloss finish :) seeing it happen before your eyes is almost like magic, maybe Ill try to get a video of the process :)

I do have one request for a satin amber in this batch so far, actually a satin amber with satin black door and chip cover. if anyone wants a satin ultem instead of the crystal clear high gloss I can of course do that. oh crap, that's yet another option :p

IMG_1637_zpsxwqp63we.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsrqbq5fl6.jpg

both of these have the same battery inside. if you like the amber ultem but are not crazy about it being completely see through then the frosted may be a good option. it's not a bad look I guess

IMG_1640_zpsxhscvdmd.jpg

IMG_1641_zpszi8hqyma.jpg

here is frosted ultem with a battery and bottle inside

IMG_1652_zpska0bftql.jpg

IMG_1653_zpskqrm6lpd.jpg

IMG_1654_zpsoi2ygf9g.jpg

I think after this batch I'm going to put up a separate thread that just shows all of the different options, configurations and finishes available, kinda like a menu to make it easier for people to see all of the options available to be better able to decide what they want :)

John,

There's medication for this, I'll lend you sum of mine (I think it's called Xanax) :pervy::lol:

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
in the future I'm going to reach out and get everyones preference before I start the batch, but here that wasn't possible because all of the possible options weren't really even shown until the last minute. now after this batch hopefully everyone will know what squonk holes are available and what finishes are available and ideally I'll be able to build from a punch list of what everyone wants, rather than just guessing how many ambers and blacks and amber/black or black/ambers to build and just guessing at how many left and right configurations.

maybe I'm just giving too many choices here, but ideally my goal is to build each person a unique custom mod that's exactly what they want and configured exactly how they want it

ok here is the difference between vapor polished ultem and a regular satin/frosted finish. that polished one is a reject from the last batch of before the heat treating/annealing process, but you can still obviously see the big difference that vapor polishing makes. all ambers are sanded and polished to the point of that satin frosted finish one shown here, actually there sanded a little finer than this and will be a little more see through than this, but not by much. they are then dipped into the vapor polishing chamber. it takes just a few seconds to go from a translucent frosted look to the completely transparent clear as glass high gloss finish :) seeing it happen before your eyes is almost like magic, maybe Ill try to get a video of the process :)

I do have one request for a satin amber in this batch so far, actually a satin amber with satin black door and chip cover. if anyone wants a satin ultem instead of the crystal clear high gloss I can of course do that. oh crap, that's yet another option :p

IMG_1637_zpsxwqp63we.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsrqbq5fl6.jpg

both of these have the same battery inside. if you like the amber ultem but are not crazy about it being completely see through then the frosted may be a good option. it's not a bad look I guess

IMG_1640_zpsxhscvdmd.jpg

IMG_1641_zpszi8hqyma.jpg

here is frosted ultem with a battery and bottle inside

IMG_1652_zpska0bftql.jpg

IMG_1653_zpskqrm6lpd.jpg

IMG_1654_zpsoi2ygf9g.jpg

I think after this batch I'm going to put up a separate thread that just shows all of the different options, configurations and finishes available, kinda like a menu to make it easier for people to see all of the options available to be better able to decide what they want :)

Once you get that "menu" created, I will make up a Google form that people will fill out when they sign up. What you will see from the compilation of all forms is a spreadsheet with a column for each option, the ones they chose will be marked, and be in the order of date filled out. Pictures of options can be placed in the form to give people a visual. You might not prefer it over the method you currently have, but only one way to find out and that is to see it :)

The.Drifter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2013
Virginia
Very nice!
Those Nuppin caps are awesome, matchy matchy:thumb:!

Thanks Rudy :thumb: I dig matchy-matchy setups :D

Wow! I love how you used the 2-tone on the Nuppin. Elegant looking for sure :)

:) I was trying for something different :unsure: Not sure if I like it yet, looks like a tank on top of my squonker :eek:

Very, very nice! I would have to agree with the earlier assessment of "elegant"!

:blush:

That looks great Marcus!! :thumbs: I had a preview of the 2 tone cap ;) Really a great look with the BA mod!! :w00t: I do like the all amber cap with black tip also :D

Thanks Bill :) To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the all Amber cap on John's mod ;) I think I went too matchy-matchy with the 2 toned cap :facepalm:

That's beautiful congrats drifter.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Thank you beez :) John did all the hard work, I'm just blessed to have one of his creations in hand :)

Casey Sisk

Nov 13, 2016
Spartanburg SC
wow ok I guess my timing kinda sucks here for my first real batch release being just a few weeks before christmas :lol: several people on the list are not ready for mods at the moment because of this, which I guess is 100% understandable, NOT complaining at all, I'm just going to be moving down the list and then come back to those in the next batch :)

also since I'm kinda new to this whole mod making journey here I'm still learning, and one thing I'm learning here is that it might actually be a good idea to try to get some kind of other contact info for anyone that gets on a list here other than just relying on PM's, because it seems there are some people who don't frequent ECF on a daily or even weekly basis, so I still have several replies that I'm waiting for from people who haven't been online too recently. I don't really want to skip over anyone here, but then again I don't want to waste a whole lot of time waiting around for replies either and hold up those that are ready, especially this time of year where the reply may likely be that they're not ready at the moment, so I'm going to give it through the weekend to see what other replies I get here but it looks like I'm going to need to move through the list a bit, so if you are a little further down the list I may still be contacting you soon :)

wouldn't that be a real kick, I finally get my first real batch ready and no one wants them now :lol: I'm still guessing/hoping that their are still at least some people further down the list that may still be able to commit even this time of year, it's gonna start to get too cold out there for me to be homeless come january :p
Not sure if I'm allowed to but id be down to buy a all black satin finish dna75 squonk if you just couldn't find anyone to buy it lol. Which I'msure that won't happen since they are so beautiful, but I'd hate to see you stuck with a extra mod that you need to sell. Just throwing that out there for you Turbocad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread