TV liquids are killing my atomizers :( - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

brekehan

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I bought some Blueberry Cheesecake /w vanilla custard and some German chocolate cake.

I've been using both for almost a year. Throughout that year I figured myself new and tried a variety of devices. I always went back to smoking analogs after being frustrated with atomizers, cartomizers, and clearomizers, all tasting burnt after less than a day of use.

After getting my hands on some other more clear looking juices, I think I am going to have to shift the blame to the juice.

Here are things I've tried:
Joyetech Ego Tank-A atmomizer cones and A type tanks
CE4 and CE6 clearomizers
Joyetech Refillable Ego Cartomizers
Venus Rebuildable Atomizer
and Dripping

Both juices are clearly thicker just by examining the bottle compared to my other juices. They are also very dark in color after sitting over time. They are 70/30, so they shouldn't be that thick.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe they've just expired? Perhaps there is some evaporation that occurs over time? Maybe there is some ingredient that leaves a residue? I can see black residue in the atmoziers that I've taken apart. They seem to build a crust over a day's time. Looks like burnt marshmellow. You can scrape it with your fingernail.

Perhaps they could be salvaged through some thinning with some unflavored PG/VG?

I love the taste of these juices and really want them to work, but they have to keep working more than a few hours without ruining my equipment.

Now clearly than A type Tanks are prone to not letting juice through unless it is thin, but I still have these problems even when dripping and skipping the tank. What alternative do I have, bu to blame the juice?

I don't have this problem with my other juices that are more clear in color.
I've also examined the atomizers after they start tasting burnt and there is clearly burned residue caked onto them.
I've also tried cleaning nightly, every other night, etc. with iso-prop alchohol, but more often than not the atomizer sucks so much worse than when I first got it that I just throw it away.

Any input?
Other people's experience?

Last edited:

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sadly, this is so. Darker liquids especially, no matter who you buy them from, will tend to be more taxing on electronics. We've worked in MANY ways to find clear flavorings that will work well with our recipes and many cases, we've been able to work this out, but there are going to be a few flavors that no matter what we try, some of the darker flavorings are the only thing available.

I use liquids like Island Punch, Atomic Cinnacide, Tin Box Mint, Mahalo Oahu, etc. that are primarily clear, I'm getting a good week+ out of a cartomizers. Darker liquids, 4 or 5 days at best, and we do let people know.

Short carto life is NOT the case with ALL of our liquids, merely some of them.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
If you want a thick juice that really clogs your electronics up fast... try the Cafe Mocha or.... Tobacco Menthol (lol).

But, seriously, I have been using TV juices for over two years and... yeah, they are known to be thick but that is why they are... tasty.

I used to use Boge cartos and.... my standard was using a 6 ML bottle with a carto and, when the bottle ran out, was time to throw out the carto. With the Cafe Mocha, good grief... usually got clogged up a lot faster than the bottle would run out and... I learned to jam a medium sized paper clip up through the carto and unclogg it. The taste was not as good in the cartos when the bottle was running low as it was when you first started... but otherwise jamming the paper clip up there seemed to do the trick. With other TV juices, like German Choolate Cake and Caramel Popcorn... had to use the paper clip on occasion but only rarely.

But, I finally got tired of the cardboardy taste in the boges and moved back to dripping... now with drip tips. This would seem to be almost cost prohibitive with TV juices, due to clogging up atties (which are a lot more expensive than cartos) but, I then learned to dry-burn and with that was able to clean the scabs off of many atties I had (I use 306 atties) and, am now back dripping with TV juices.

With the Cafe Mocha.... starts developing a scab after I have only used a half bottle (3 ML of a 6 ML bottle). Same for Ultimate Vanilla. The German Chocolate cake.... can last through an entire 6 ML bottle and that is generally the norm here and I expect that for others like the Caramel Popcorn and Blueberry Cheescake. Others, like the Black Licorice and Cherry Cough Drop... hardly clog electronics at all... might be able to go through 30 ML before you would want to replace.

But, for me, this is all doable now. When the attie gets clogged (scabbed might be the more appropriate term... I look at my 306es under 10x magnification and that is what is going on), I just replace it and throw it in a container with vodka or rubbing alcohol and when I get 4 or more atties in this container... it is time to rinse and dry. When dry, time to dry burn and THIS is what gets rid of the scabbing. Then, a final clean in a ultrasound cleaner using cleaning vinegar and finally distilled water.

Remains to be seen how many cleaning cycles my cisco 306 atties can take, but so far so good.

Anyways... for me the clogging of atties is the major roadblock I have run into with vaping (pretty much the same with the one other vendor I get juice from) ... and I always wondered how ANYONE could be vaping the thicker juices with this problem (maybe they are all using cartos I dunno) but, finally came up with MY solution to this and, thought I would share it here since you asked.

Last edited:

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Short carto life is NOT the case with ALL of our liquids, merely some of them.
I have found this to be true.

For me, a mix of Caramel Popcorn and Waffle will certainly clog my cart way faster than Island Punch does. I stopped using the CP+W mix in carts/tanks and only drip with it now.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
One of the problems that we found with some of the flavorings that we use (and likely a lot of liquid manufacturers use) contained a food additive called Guar Gum. While this is perfectly fine in food applications, not so with electronics and we found that while the coils would burn off most of the ingredients in the liquid, the guar gum in some of the flavors was actually cooking ONTO the coils, killing cartos FAST. So, we talked with the flavoring manufacturers and had them make those flavorings, and simply had them make it without.

This did help, but this takes us back to the dark liquids and we found the same problem as with the guar gum. Darker pigmented flavorings will do the same thing and the pigmentation will cook on the coils.

Perhaps in time and as this industry develops and the controversy surrounding ecigs and elqiud dies down, maybe some of these flavorists will feel safe enough to start developing flavors with ecig applications in mind and manufacture them clear and in a manner that will allow them to vaporize more easily.

Until that time, all of us are working with what is available.

sob80sup81

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Indonesia
I think i should share my experience with you.

I've had this issue for over 3 years since i started vaping. I spent lots of money on atomizers, clearomizers and lastly cartomizers i used for long period of time due to its cheap price.

As i've been a big fan of Cafe Moccha and Tobacco Menthol, i did experience short lives on those above and had no plan on switching to other liquid vendors as i've never had bad experience with TV and wouldn't risk myself trying on others on ingredients i do not quite sure of.

But now the issue's solved thanks to RBAs. I've switched from cartos to genesis RBA and have the freedom of cleaning and rebuilding my atomizers as often as i would on a considerably much cheaper price resulting in clean flavour and huge vapor production with no single issue to raise.

I've even tried my leftover TV liquids from over a year ago with same satisfactory result.

Try an RBA, a cheap one like AGA or expensive one like AC9, i believe it is the answer to your problem.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread