Tweaking the nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Reading this and many other threads about nicotine, can someone please tell me why I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 33 years, and then I quit in my first day of vaping without even trying and with NO NIC juice?

I know each one of us is different, but the way I understand it now, the nicotine story is one more of those stories we have been taught to believe.

I am addicted to the action of smoking (maybe the inhale-exhale part of it?), not to nicotine or any of the garbage, (added chemicals) that analogs might have.

---

Reading this and many other threads about nicotine, can someone please tell me why I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 33 years, and then I quit in my first day of vaping without even trying and with NO NIC juice?

I know each one of us is different, but the way I understand it now, the nicotine story is one more of those stories we have been taught to believe.

I am addicted to the action of smoking (maybe the inhale-exhale part of it?), not to nicotine or any of the garbage, (added chemicals) that analogs might have.

---

I have to agree with you Warp I was the same way and on my first day of vaping I never went back to analogs. I really feel that not all of us are addicted to the nicotine, more like you said, "the inhale-exhale part of it". I started off using nic but was getting sick and when I dropped the nic I felt fine. Every once an a while I'll use a little nic, especially when throwing back a few, but that's about it.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Whenever I get that kind of urge, (whatever it is), I vape 6 votls with my stronger tasting no nic flavor and after 7-8 puffs I'm back to where I was.

Yes kina, as I said, I know we are all different that way.
Another example is caffeine, to most, coffee will not allow them to sleep, to me it does nothing that I can notice, I will fall asleep the same way I normally do.
Of course, if I take 6 cups (I know because I have done it before), it will make me shaky, but I can still fall asleep "normally". :D

So maybe it is just the doze difference, I probably never got enough nic from analogs to alter my system?
I know if I smoke an analog now, besides the yucky taste, it will make me dizzy real fast, and I don't think it is the nic but some of the other crap in them.

---

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I find it interesting that some of the heaviest and most addicted smokers (the ones who go crazy the moment they run out of smokes) are in the group who have dopamine related disorders.

Read up on bipolars and/or schizophrenics and smoking, the correlation is very high. Both share a disorder that affects dopamine as a neurotransmitter in the brain.

So a reasonable hypothesis might be that in addition to the action of nicotine on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the brain, the dopamine system is also modified by smoking to a greater degree in some individuals than others. The very high smoking rates in the bipolar/schizophrenic groups perhaps demonstrate this more at the extreme.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I am an addict to the action 3 pack a day on my days off, vaping I mostly go w/o nic and no analogs

liscab, you and your "not wired for addiction" brain. :)

I think the point that I failed to state succinctly in my previous post was this:

"Some brains are wired for addiction, some aren't".

Now habits.. habits are a whole other thing.

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.

I think the point that I failed to state succinctly in my previous post was this:

I am not very sure if I got your idea (english is not my language) but I know that I could go without an adiction if I have to, I believe nic if easy to bypass but the action of the divice in the mouth is harder

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Ah, I was simply saying that you don't seem to be the type of person that is predisposed to addiction... probably your brain isn't "wired" for addiction.

I find I enjoy nicotine, but I don't particularly need it. The times I've quit smoking in the past, I was a bit on-edge for 2-3 days, but nothing unbearable. Like you, I simply enjoy the act of smoking.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX

Very interesting Dvap, but I am addicted to making mods, lol.

Seriously, you may have a very good point there.

--

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
I find it interesting that some of the heaviest and most addicted smokers (the ones who go crazy the moment they run out of smokes) are in the group who have dopamine related disorders.

Read up on bipolars and/or schizophrenics and smoking, the correlation is very high. Both share a disorder that affects dopamine as a neurotransmitter in the brain.

So a reasonable hypothesis might be that in addition to the action of nicotine on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the brain, the dopamine system is also modified by smoking to a greater degree in some individuals than others. The very high smoking rates in the bipolar/schizophrenic groups perhaps demonstrate this more at the extreme.

Hit the nail on the head there. I have all ready come to terms with the fact that I need nicotine to function. (I have schizophrenia) You should be around me when I go no nic.

Before the onset of the disorder I could go months without smoking. But after my symptoms became pronounced I could not.

I really wish the Fda would see the benefits of the E-cig. Think of the financial burden on health care, why compound the large cost of psychiatric care with the possible higher cost of cancer treatments due to smoking in the mentally ill?

Last edited:
I really wish the Fda would see the benefits of the E-cig. Think of the financial burden on health care, why compound the large cost of psychiatric care with the possible higher cost of cancer treatments due to smoking in the mentally ill?

From those indistries perspectives, the 'financial burden' is a fantastic money-spinner.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Hit the nail on the head there. I have all ready come to terms with the fact that I need nicotine to function. (I have schizophrenia) You should be around me when I go no nic.

Before the onset of the disorder I could go months without smoking. But after my symptoms became pronounced I could not.

I should say here that I'm not suggesting that everyone who is hooked hard on cigarettes has a dopamine disorder. Things functions on a continuum, and in addition to both poles (those who can smoke casually and put them down just as easily -vs- those who must have their cigarettes and can't tolerate being without them). Perhaps the truth is that the domamine reward system in some people is just quite resistant to being tweaked by nicotine, while in others, it is very susceptible to being tweaked by nicotine.

I should say here that I'm not suggesting that everyone who is hooked hard on cigarettes has a dopamine disorder. Things functions on a continuum, and in addition to both poles (those who can smoke casually and put them down just as easily -vs- those who must have their cigarettes and can't tolerate being without them). Perhaps the truth is that the domamine reward system in some people is just quite resistant to being tweaked by nicotine, while in others, it is very susceptible to being tweaked by nicotine.

Suseptibility to addiction to nicotine is not equivalent to the less ideal dopamine system; it could be quite the opposite. That being addicted to nic id not a good thing in no way implies that the sytem that can get addicted is the inferior one.

There are people who are relatively unmoved by anything much, have little sense of humor and are, well, dull and machine-like. Seat me with the 'smokers'. Not getting mad at this world sometimes is the crazy state of mind.

Last edited:

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.
I think that if I created a liquid ,let's say with tobacco absolute that is suppose to have not nicotine but it could smell like tobbaco, and add some flavor and some quemical to give you a hit and I tell you it is 36mg nic and you like it, you are gonna believe me and you are gonna go on without nic I would be cheating your brain and your adition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread