Twisted coils on 28 guage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
So Im looking to attempt building a .6 dual coil on a Dark Horse rda using 1/16 drillbit and 28 guage kanthal. As best as i can understand if I want to estimate the number of wraps i should go with approximately the number required for a 1.2-1.3 ohm set up which according to steam engine is 10/9 wraps for each coil.

That said, while researching the technique I've come across some people saying that when they used 28 guage with too many wraps the coils didnt heat up very well.

My questions are;

Am i correct in my approximations?

Is 10/9 too many wraps for a 28 guage twisted kanthal?

Is .6 too high a target for the set up or would aiming for something around .4 or .5 be better?

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
So Im looking to attempt building a .6 dual coil on a Dark Horse rda using 1/16 drillbit and 28 guage kanthal. As best as i can understand if I want to estimate the number of wraps i should go with approximately the number required for a 1.2-1.3 ohm set up which according to steam engine is 10/9 wraps for each coil.

That said, while researching the technique I've come across some people saying that when they used 28 guage with too many wraps the coils didnt heat up very well.

My questions are;

Am i correct in my approximations?

Is 10/9 too many wraps for a 28 guage twisted kanthal?

Is .6 too high a target for the set up or would aiming for something around .4 or .5 be better?
Are you running a regulated mod or a mechanical? If you're using a high wattage regulated mod, why not just up the watts? You're right about the resistance, btw. Dual coils halve it.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    dOn a mech, you want closer to 1.1 ohms for a #28 single coil or .55 for parallel/twisted. I used 5/6 wraps last time on 1/16", although your battery is better than mine so maybe 6/7. When you twist it, you see it get shorter even though the individual wires don't, that's one reason Steam needs the twist pitch. That would take it down from 5/6 to 4/5, still at the same resistance. It can't estimate how much diameter increase occurs due to springyness of twisted. If you double the number of wraps, you would need twice the voltage and power, maybe 70W for a dual.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2015
    So are you saying that if i twist the kanthal and shoot for a .6 (about 10 wraps) then i need more power? I was under the impression that as long as the total ohms are within the battery's safe operating zone then you could vape away on a mech. According to my math, im comfortable with .4 and up for the vtc4 and i usually go .7 and up on the LG HE4 just cause i like the hit better in that range.

I like the input, the more i learn the better I can get at building coils.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    It won't draw more power, you will just need it, e.g. not a mech. A coil with twice as long of the same wire has twice the surface area and therefore needs twice as much power, yet would only draw half as much from a fixed voltage. The trick with a mech is to get the combination of the amount of power you need and the amount that flows to be the same. And not blow anything up while you're at it, of course. Steam Engine would make this easier if you could input your voltage instead of power into the coil calculator, instead of making you recalculate the power every time you change the resistance.

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh,PA
    I twist 28 and 26 all the time but i use a cherry bomber most of the time i use a single 18650 on .25 ohm single twisted coils and dont have any problems like this for instance
    I removed some cotton from underneath when i put on my cherry bomber much more flavor

Attachments

• 20150625_232844.jpg
      20150625_232844.jpg
      646.9 KB · Views: 28
    Reactions: Darth Omerta

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh,PA
    With a mech mod not so great for me bc theres a ton of coil to heat up u have 2 1 ohm coils that are twisted twisting makes for a lower resistance to begin with so i suggest single coil twisted but if u have like 60 or 70 watt box mod pretty much anything higher than the 30 should be able to throw enough wattage at it to get noce performance .... the bigger or longer the coil means more surface area which is good for regulated mods as for mech u build lower ohms to get the same type of power to run through the coil so to speak

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread