TX Lawmakers Vote To Ban E-cigarette Sales To Minors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
So where are they getting the boilerplate for this? The wording here is almost identical to what North Dakota passed for internet purchases, though we also have to have age verified delivery - so $6 per order there. The wording is so close that it must have come frome some common source, and I'd like to know who the source is.

The whole shipping issue could get interesting after the deeming regs are released.

To comply with delivery regs per this TX bill, USPS charges about $5.50 for adult signature/verification. However, it's not available for 1st Class packages, so everything will have to be shipped Priority, which might also add to cost if you were only getting a small order. Plus, I would assume vendors would raise the minimum amt on their free shipping option since I doubt they'd want to absorb this fee as well.

Plus, what about other shipping companies policies? UPS and FedEx don't ship tobacco products. If e-cigs are deemed as tobacco products, will they stop accepting them for shipment? http://www.ups.com/tobacco?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=tobacco

Also, USPS adult delivery requires ID verification from a recipient 21 years of age or older, so if you're 18-20? Legally able to buy something but not allowed to accept delivery of it? How does ND handle that?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The whole shipping issue could get interesting after the deeming regs are released.

To comply with delivery regs per this TX bill, USPS charges about $5.50 for adult signature/verification. However, it's not available for 1st Class packages, so everything will have to be shipped Priority, which might also add to cost if you were only getting a small order. Plus, I would assume vendors would raise the minimum amt on their free shipping option since I doubt they'd want to absorb this fee as well.

Plus, what about other shipping companies policies? UPS and FedEx don't ship tobacco products. If e-cigs are deemed as tobacco products, will they stop accepting them for shipment? http://www.ups.com/tobacco?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=tobacco

Also, USPS adult delivery requires ID verification from a recipient 21 years of age or older, so if you're 18-20? Legally able to buy something but not allowed to accept delivery of it? How does ND handle that?
Good questions.
I figure one thing we can count on is that with whatever regulations that get passed we will pay more to vape. That much is inevitable.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
OH MY WORD, this is the kind of thing we need to know. That is going to put a crunch on those who live in more rural areas, especially if they have limited funds. :grr:

Plus, what about other shipping companies policies? UPS and FedEx don't ship tobacco products. If e-cigs are deemed as tobacco products, will they stop accepting them for shipment?

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
They could have made this cut and dry. Do not sell to minors. Do not allow minors to purchase credit cards, or prepaid debit cards. Now instead, they are hurting the adults, especially those from more rural areas. This will put undue financial hardship on people too. But we have to know exactly what this will mean in the long run. Maybe this can be amended before the governor signs it. There is a very razor thin chance of it, but it is worth a try.

Reactions: EleanorR

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
They want to make things as complicated as possible. Besides, people are going to make money off this. The consumer will have less to spend, but I think that is part of the stinking point. Stay on the analogs, and keep paying your taxes, like a good little serf. I won't buy a pharma product for stopping smoking, or vaping. I will vape unflavored if I have to. I live near 3 other states. I can drive over if it gets to that point.

Oh, and the Big Tobacco companies can FORGET ABOUT IT too. Not another dime will they get from me.

Reactions: EleanorR

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Texas Legislature Online - 84(R) Bill Stages for SB 97
This shows green all the way to the governor's signature. I looked back at the article, and it says this...<<<The upper chamber only needs to approve tweaks made to it in House committee to send the proposal to Gov. Greg Abbott>>> I don't recall reading it needed tweaks approved to it earlier this evening. Strange.

Well if the red part is the tweaks, it will not be an issue.
Bill Text: TX SB97 | 2015-2016 | 84th Legislature | Engrossed | LegiScan

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I forgot to mention the part about the child proof bottles. That is fine for those who have children in the house, or who have children who come over. But for older people, and those with arthritis, those caps might be a problem. I have talked about it in another thread though. I like easy to open bottles, because I do have arthritis. (it is not minor either) I hope that vendors will choose bottles that can be converted. If not, I will have to buy more bottles, and switch them out myself. I like easy to squeeze bottles too. That was the least of my worries last night. I sent an email to my House Rep today, thanking him for voting no. Last night I emailed the governor here as well.

Vapero, I already ordered nicotine, for just in case. I already have it!! They aren't banning e juice, at least not yet. But some vendors may not want to be involved with this legislation. So you will possibly have to buy locally in the future. If my favorite vendor will not deal with the red tape, I would understand. I would also be very sad. I will have to wait to hear exactly what the bottom line will be on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread