Type of cigs you USED to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
3-4 cartons of Virginia Slims, Menthol Light a week :-(
They are now about $67 per carton....wow. I had not looked at the prices (until the other day when I was waiting in line at Walgreens cashier counter and I noticed the price) since I stopped smoking and started vaping in April 09 and they have gone up about $25 p/carton since then. Unbelievable price hikes!

Desertfremen

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
MI
Ok, I'm gonna try to make this as short as I can:

I am a tobacco nut. I love tobacco: the way it smells and tastes, yes still now too. But even above tobacco: I am a menthol junky and after sampling so many brands and flavours I found:

Kool NF (RIP). The best cigg there ever WAS! :cry: IMO of course...

by now I'm a total Menthol junky. I didn't even smoke cloves much anymore (which I had always occassionaly smoked Djarum Blacks or Internationals), I wanted that menthol hit and Kool had the hardest most intense menthol hit I've ever tried, and I was smoking 3 pks a day. I was 20 at this time. Non-menthol cigs aren't even worth smoking to me by now at this point b/c even the strongest couldn't provide the TH I could get off a menthol.

I stayed on those till they stopped making them in 2004. (Screw You RJR!)
By then Kool XL Greens were introduced and moved to Blues when they came out b/c they were mentholly-er.

At the end I was smoking a carton a week at $70. I lasted my run thru the NFs, but now they screw with them again: FSC, UGH! Horrible, Blech!

As far as symptoms: I didn't have a cough, but ciggs (tho not cigars or pipe tobacco) always did cause some congestion/mucus in my sinus cavities, but nothing bad. The FSCs? OMGs I've never felt so crappy ever! They were Horrible in every way.

Now I'm hardly congested at all. I have been singing (which the FSCs had temp killed as well) and it's sooooooo much easier now! LOL My voice has been sounding FANTASTIC! And my sense of smell/taste is much more acute. Cigars taste far better than they ever did and my perfumes! I'm picking up notes I never smelled in them before!

I now vape mostly Cool! I must say, as a menthol junky: This cart in the 36 delivers more menthol hit than my Kool XL Blues (or NF) ever could! Wow, I can feel the tingle much longer after inhaling!:w00t: However, the Menthol carts get love from me too b/c they totally remind me of the good ole Kool greens.

I've been enjoying the candy flavours (Vanilla and Cranberry make me drool) too, but I still need that menthol hit.

ETA: I smoked cigarettes for 17 yrs. duh! how did I forget this doh!

Last edited:

Defiantgroundhog

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
Cameron
Loyal Marlboro Light smoker here.... couldn't bring myself to buy a cheaper brand. Smoked a pack and a half for 14 years and getting close to a two pack a day habit. Between my hubby and me that's almost $100 a week!

The juices I've found that satisfy my cravings the most are Hilton, 555, and Caramel Mocha.
I like the fruit flavors also but they don't really satisfy me yet... just fun to vape.

dreamwalker

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
I smoked Black clove cigarettes until they banned them in the States, then was ordering online from overseas. When I couldn't get them I went to Camel Menthol Lights.
they sell them again now but they are labeled as clove "cigars" but they are the same damn thing lol

and I use to smoke Marb Blend 27's

starchelle

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Georgia
they sell them again now but they are labeled as clove "cigars" but they are the same damn thing lol

and I use to smoke Marb Blend 27's
Believe it or not they don't taste the same to me. Too much tobacco, and they're not as sweet, which is a HUGE disappointment to me! They do in a pinch, though.

Djarum cloves were my vice for 20+years - 1/2 to 1 pack a day. I started smoking on my 17th birthday. I loved the unfiltered Safaris best and tried several others, settling on vanilla/golds until the ban. I'm still angry about that but a ban is what it took to make me quit since I don't care for the taste of other cigarettes.
Now I am very attached to my VK red battery and found a clove e liquid that I'm happy with. I don't wake myself up wheezing anymore and haven't used an inhaler since the day I quit in October. My low point was realizing that I was using an inhaler in the morning so that I could enjoy the 3 cigarettes I always smoked while driving to work.
I had put back packs of Djarum golds and reently decided to try 1 cigarette just to compare. Flavor and enjoyment were really lacking and I wondered why I had been so crazy over them. I was grossed out by the smell on my hands and clothing and had to shower. Still felt a little off for hours, like I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. I'm glad I did it. It wasn't a slip at all but an affirmation that I am much better off vaping than I was smoking.

MacArthurBug

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I smoked for 18 years off and on- but mostly on. I've quit for a year+ twice (both times for a pregnancy) I remember missing the socilisation. I have smoked just about everything I could try. I loved smoke shops. My every day go tos were almost always menthol 100s. Though I liked slims too. I never minded other stuff, just kept falling back on those menthols. I was a little saddned by the clove ban too- I didn't smoke 'em often but when I did I liked 'em. I had settled down to being a light semi-social smoker. half a pack a day on my own, but around oother smokers I could really smoke a LOT. I've always been a social smoker- it eased my nerves. Now I can vape around my smoker friends and not feel like I'm being left out- but not do as much damage to my poor lungs.

I'm only two weeks out from switching over, already my sence of smell is returning- and isn't that a mixed blessing?!?! I've ALWAYS had a very good sense of smell- heck part of the reason I could only stay quit for short periods of time was the smell of everythign. SURE good things smell good- but when you're sensitive, bad smells BAD.

I'm combating the "bad" by keeping my personal surrounds spanking clean and as lightly scented as possible. I like the menthol vapes- but the spiced rum has found a special place in my heart. so so so good.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
Many many different brands over the years!! Started with the non-filtered kind - Camels, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall, Chesterfield, etc. (I was in college and thought they were cool in a beatnik kind of way). (Occasionally some tobacco shop indulgences like Black Sobranie, Jakarta Cloves, Nat Sherman, Sher Bidis (yuck!), Players Navy Cut, etc.)

Anyway, eventually the non-filters made me hack up stuff in a BIG way so I had to switch to filters, much to my dismay. Started with Trues or Parliaments, eventually switching to Kent regulars. When those got too expensive, I switched to Basic Ultra Lights and that's the brand I've most recently smoked. Still like 'em, unfortunately!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread