UL Announces Certification for Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This is good news. Do they publish their testing criteria? If we could get those there would be lots to discuss.
UL Announces Certification for Electronic Cigarettes
The testing requirements for UL 8139 specifically evaluate the safety of the electrical, heating, battery and charging systems. The standard does not evaluate the consumable of the e-cigarette, including e-liquids, vapor substances, wicks and other particulate matter. UL 8139 doesn't evaluate the long-term or physiological effects of the consumables.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Well that raises a multitude of questions. You're right, it could be good news for us. If they are testing the heating part of the system I assume they have to get into the tank side. I have no idea if UL's standards are published.
My reading is they are looking at the safety and reliability of the battery, electronics and wiring. I wouldn't mind if my mods happened to be UL approved. But I'm more intersted in their evaluation criteria. If we could see that we'd learn about how these devices work and what helps them last and work reliably.

The standards must be available somehow otherwise how do manufacturers know how to make devices that will pass the tests?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I never thought much of UL certification since it did not seem to be a high standard. More of a sales gimmick.

Not specifically to do with UL, but when I was 17-18yo, I had to buy four new tires. I thought to get the same brand that my Dad had, but I went cheap, thinking my Dad was foolish. A year later I was buying more tires.

I rarely buy anything without research. Over the years it has become just a personal attitude. Pretty satisfying.

UL certification is not everything.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I never thought much of UL certification since it did not seem to be a high standard. More of a sales gimmick.

Not specifically to do with UL, but when I was 17-18yo, I had to buy four new tires. I thought to get the same brand that my Dad had, but I went cheap, thinking my Dad was foolish. A year later I was buying more tires.

I rarely buy anything without research. Over the years it has become just a personal attitude. Pretty satisfying.

UL certification is not everything.
I'm not trying to say UL is some gold standard. What interests me is to learn about what they look for and test protocols. That would be educational.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Standards document from UL is not free, several hundred dollars and it doesn't appear much is available yet. I'll be spending that kind of money on nic and supplies. May be Canada will have standards and publish them or may be some other standards setting organization,, government or private has put standards in the public domain. Then eventually we'll see what products advertise UL approval.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
FDA's Deeming Ban would still ban all UL endorsed vapor products.

I'm surprised UL waited to this until after FDA announced its August 8, 2018 vapor product sales ban in the US.
It would be interesting to know arms length safety standards for mods. The industry must be doing a descent job because it's rare for regulated mods to cause trouble and when they do was it may have been a defective battery or charger. I think the manufacturers with valuable brand names to protect know the safety issues and pay a lot of attention to that. I'm also sure they wish we would be satisfied with lower powered devices with build in batteries.

Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread