JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
By about 2 months.
Lol.

"House party rap" was around in parties since the late 60's, with DJs performing improvised raps over tracks.
Most were explicit and couldn't be played over the radio due to lyrical content.
SHG just made it out of the studio first with an acceptable song.
Few months later there were other rap songs in the top 100.
See Clarence "Blowfly" Reid for just one example.

:blink:
I cannot believe I just typed a "rap history" post on ECF.

Correct!
Not only that but Sugar Hill wasn't even the first to come out of the studio with a rap song. That would have been King Tim III (Personality Jock)" by The Fatback Band they got theirs out weeks before Sugar Hill they just were not as popular and widespread.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
In 1972, about ten years before RAP was born an obscure Italian performer wrote and preformed "Prisencolinensinainciusol" with gibberish English words so we could appreciate what our songs sound like to them. Resembles modern RAP and is well worth a listen. Sadly the version that introduced me to it 10 or 12 years ago is gone. Apparently the copyright police got it:( Still some OK versions of it on YouTube. Music starts about a minute and a half into both I just listed to.

AAALLRIGHT!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Correct!
Not only that but Sugar Hill wasn't even the first to come out of the studio with a rap song. That would have been King Tim III (Personality Jock)" by The Fatback Band they got theirs out weeks before Sugar Hill they just were not as popular and widespread.
Your avatar now says you are in New York...
Weren't you in Portugal?

Reactions: AstroTurf

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Your avatar now says you are in New York...
Weren't you in Portugal?
Me? No, I've been living in NYC for 30+ years. I've been to Portugal though beautiful over there and I was originally born not too far from there (Spain) but that was a very long time ago.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I don't know. I don't want to get dry knuckles...

...by punching a hole through the wall or the monitor.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Correct!
    All I really know is, I'd never heard anything like that before, and in the fall of 1979 while in boot camp pulling mess duty, one of the cooks played that song over and over and over again till I believe he wore the cassette out. It was pure torture to my young impressionable mind...

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2013
    New York City
    I still like it when my kid puts on the latest rap and it's not sucking.

Haha, that's why I trained my son early on, since he was a baby: classic rock, hard rock, and heavy metal! He hates rap, pop, and dance music, so I never had to suffer the torture. He has become my concert buddy and we've seen Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Rob Zombie, Def Leppard, KISS, Alice Cooper, Styx, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Heart, Foreigner, Shinedown, and (his favorite) Sixx:A.M... And the list goes on and on. :headbang:

I avoid Rip completely, because I just can't watch his overly-over-the-top personality. :blink:

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA
    All I really know is, I'd never heard anything like that before, and in the fall of 1979 while in boot camp pulling mess duty, one of the cooks played that song over and over and over again till I believe he wore the cassette out. It was pure torture to my young impressionable mind...
    At least it wasn't Lee Greenwood! :D

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    TBH I did the exact opposite with my kid. I kinda think kids need spaces for their own music, so I very carefully did not admit that I enjoyed his rap music at ALL until he was an adult, LOL. So it's not painful though usually in the car I'm like, "Poor driver, no music." But, if the kid wanted to go to a concert, I would so go with him! That part is excellent. Kiddo got to pick his tunes, and I got to enjoy new genres of music....

That said, if he EVER listened to THAT rap, I'd ground him. He's an adult, but if he ever played THAT in my presence, I would figure out a way to ground him, LOL. Fortunately, the kid has taste.... :)

Anna

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    TBH I did the exact opposite with my kid. I kinda think kids need spaces for their own music, so I very carefully did not admit that I enjoyed his rap music at ALL until he was an adult, LOL. So it's not painful though usually in the car I'm like, "Poor driver, no music." But, if the kid wanted to go to a concert, I would so go with him! That part is excellent. Kiddo got to pick his tunes, and I got to enjoy new genres of music....

That said, if he EVER listened to THAT rap, I'd ground him. He's an adult, but if he ever played THAT in my presence, I would figure out a way to ground him, LOL. Fortunately, the kid has taste.... :)

Anna

I do enjoy creative rap music. If the lyrics are well constructed and the music is powerful then I enjoy it quite a bit. My kids though...when they were little I wouldn't allow a TV in their bedrooms but I allowed a radio. Only tuned to an oldies channel because I was familiar with the lyrics and the themes. The local station had a program called "Breakfast With The Beatles" that they'd play on Sunday mornings. The show would go over the more obscure songs and discuss them. She thought that this was an unknown current band, so she came up to me one afternoon and told me that she had discovered this cool new band and wanted me to check to see if I could find any of their CD's. She raved and rambled about how great they were and finally told me that they were called "The Beatles." I told her that, yeah, I'd probably be able to finds a CD or two...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread