Unbelievable! Prof Christina Gratziou

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayvolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
West Palm Beach FL USA
No I fully understand that BT would do whatever they need to. But I also know that there are organizations out there that value neutrality. I also know that doing anything without empirical evidence is a risk. What everyone seems to miss is that we NEED scientific evidence to avoid a generation raised with the same false information that was given about smoking. If you (or anyone else in the world) thinks that china (or any enterprising capitalist minded individual) wouldn't protect THEIR pocketbooks, YOU are wrong. Ecigs are a profit beast, and companies like ruyan and smok would do EXACTLY the same as BT. BT is criminal, but so are half the chinese companies out there, or did we forget about lead in toys and toxins in all sorts of products?

All I am saying is that testing is needed. Funny thing is that historically, every time I mention it people attack the comments. Makes me wonder if in the beginning smokers did the same? Wait they did. We live in a world where drugs aren't properly tested, do you think if they release pharmaceuticals that cause a range of side effects that would curl your toenails (possible literally :p) they (they being pretty broad in this) wouldn't release a potentially harmful product on the market to make a buck? I am not saying ecigs are potentially harmful. , but we all really need to clearly think about it. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
No I fully understand that BT would do whatever they need to. But I also know that there are organizations out there that value neutrality. I also know that doing anything without empirical evidence is a risk. What everyone seems to miss is that we NEED scientific evidence to avoid a generation raised with the same false information that was given about smoking. If you (or anyone else in the world) thinks that china (or any enterprising capitalist minded individual) wouldn't protect THEIR pocketbooks, YOU are wrong. Ecigs are a profit beast, and companies like ruyan and smok would do EXACTLY the same as BT. BT is criminal, but so are half the chinese companies out there, or did we forget about lead in toys and toxins in all sorts of products?

All I am saying is that testing is needed. Funny thing is that historically, every time I mention it people attack the comments. Makes me wonder if in the beginning smokers did the same? Wait they did. We live in a world where drugs aren't properly tested, do you think if they release pharmaceuticals that cause a range of side effects that would curl your toenails (possible literally :p) they (they being pretty broad in this) wouldn't release a potentially harmful product on the market to make a buck? I am not saying ecigs are potentially harmful. , but we all really need to clearly think about it. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

Dude, calm down. I'm not attacking you, or even disagreeing with you for that matter.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Christina Gratziou cashes her checks from Big Pharma, not Big Tobacco.
Just like all other researchers and ANTZ that are against electronic cigarettes.

This is the study she did where she concluded that Chantix was a good way to quit smoking...
Tobacco Induced Diseases | Full text | Varenicline as a smoking cessation aid in a Greek population: a subanalysis of an observational study

The study was funded by Pfizer.

The more popular electronic cigarettes become, the more money Big Pharma loses.
The more money Big Pharma loses, the less money they have for researchers like Christina Gratziou.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
Sitting in the car line for abt 45 mins to pick up my kids from school - or stuck in traffic from work to home and vice versa - walking to try and be healthy while cars are zooming by - refineries and other mfg plants spewing could of God knows what in the air - the list goes on and on - wonder hot much "restriction" all this causes my lungs..............oh we all know all this causes untold damage to the lungs - yet we really dont have a choice but to accept and live - I know for sure (if nothing else) I dont wheeze, I dont have black nasty crappy snot when I blow my nose - just from less than 3 months of not smoking - I agree we need more research - but not BS research.......

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
And therein lies the problem. There is NO REAL RESEARCH concerning ecigs. Easy enough to say its good for you or doesn't cause damage in the long run, when there is no supporting scientific evidence. Seat of your pants observation isn't scientific BTW.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say that all those patients on nebulizers and asthma inhalers sort of tested it out for us. That and anecdotal evidence from others stating how much better they feel and breath after quitting smoking and vaping. I am sure the doctors who are telling their COPD patients to take up vaping are feeling this way also, after observing living patients getting better from vaping vs. smoking, goes a long way with me also.

I am a nicotine addict. Patches didn't work, nor did pills or gum etc. This works and while it may not be better than NOT vaping, it is better FOR ME than smoking cigarettes.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
Unless I'm mistaken, this appears to be the same results as a previous study...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...inds-e-cigarettes-affect-airways-quickly.html

Basically, an increase in airway resistance.
As the thread above discusses, that does NOT equal damage to the lungs.

I read that article this morning and my first thought was - anything inhaled other than air would have the same effect - or nearly so. the acknowledgement of effect has the same power as acknowledging that it gets dark when the sun goes down.

Obviously we want others to be supportive of vaping. Its to our advantage after all. but we have to be rational ourselves if we want others to view vaping rationally. In other words - dont be on the defensive. It makes people wonder why you have to defend and that sets up a negative connection in their minds.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Short interview because she's on her way to the bank to cash that check from RJ Reynolds.

Did you catch what she recommended instead of e-cigarettes? Clue: It was not a tobacco product.

She is on her way to the bank to cash her check from GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer, makers of approved smoking cessation products.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
Looks like I got to add the First Comment. Thumbs up would be appreciated - wonder how many anti-smoking/vaping pundents like Rachel Ray will come out and try to stomp on me? Please folks I need, we need, your help on that Video!

I know - saw her with all her BS abt e cigs - maybe she needs cut down on the butter - must be affecting her gray matter......lol

Apptiger

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
West Central Florida
Did you catch what she recommended instead of e-cigarettes? Clue: It was not a tobacco product.

She is on her way to the bank to cash her check from GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer, makers of approved smoking cessation products.

Yes, I believe she is underwritten by Pfizer and Pfizer paid for the research that produced the report cited at the conference.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
No, she is on her way to cash her check from Pfizer since she receives grant money from them to conduct studies like this. I shall repeat here my comment on this "study." Why would RJReynolds want to ruin the image of e cigarettes anyway since they are in development stage with their own e cig.
Chistina Gratiziou earlier completed a study of the effectiveness of Chantix as a quitting aid. That study was funded by Pfizer, the makers of Chantix. "G and PAP declare that they have no financial competing interests. KG declares a financial competing interest from the research committee of the University of Thessaly. GS, MM and RS declare financial competing interests as employees of and stock holders of Pfizer, the study sponsor. No authors declare a non-financial competing interest." Tobacco Induced Diseases | Full text | Varenicline as a smoking cessation aid in a Greek population: a subanalysis of an observational study
Chantix has been given a black box warning and is held responsible for thousands of suicide, suicide ideation, and other extremely frightening side effects; yet that study concludes that Chantix is a great way to quit smoking. Conversely, this same scientist with financial ties to Pfizer, concludes that electronic cigarettes are NOT a safe way to quit smoking. Since there have been no reported harmful side effects of using electronic cigarettes, despite millions of people using them, there should be a giant RED FLAG for this study. It is all about the money, and e cigarettes are a major danger to the profits of companies that directly compete for the quit smoking industry. Is it hypocritical for a scientist who supports Chantix despite its obvious dangers to then declare e cigarettes with no known side effects unsafe? OR, is it profitable for not only Pfizer but also for the scientists who rely on their funding to declare one product safe and the other unsafe?

paintero

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
AZ
Chantix is a great way to quit smoking if you can deal with the CRAZY dreams and desires to kill your spouse/co-workers! I took it and daaamn the stuff it did to me....

It to me should be obvious that vaping is NOT healthy for you, you are breathing in stuff that wasn't designed to be inhaled into your lungs. That being said it has to be considerably better for you than smoking is.

It is an educated risk I am willing to take to Vape over smoke, I enjoy not smelling like an ashtray and hopefully one day breathing better. I get annoyed when anyone trys to tell me they are impartial when they obviously are not. Please don't take me for your fool.

I can't see my signature but it should say I have saved about $250 vaping over smoking, 75% of that is taxes don't for a moment think that your government and mine has not noticed that. Repercussions will come someday and sooner rather than later I believe. Democrat or Republican they all want your life blood (money).

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I don't smoke anymore I Vape. I'm happy. I don't care what anyone says. I feel good. I'm all in.

Same here :D 1 1/2 years of vaping and I am not sick, I don't hack up half a lung mornings, I can walk long distances and climb stairs and still breathe easily. I also no longer have sinus infections one after another.

I smoked cigarettes for 55 years, the last 20 of them at 2 cartons a week. I know more time will have to go by for my lungs and body to rid themselves of as much of that damage I did to them smoking as they can. I'm so glad I got mad about cig taxes and made the move.

ahmedmahadik

Aug 13, 2012
india
This reminds me of the Documentary..."who killed the Electric car"....in that they show how USA government made policies that would suppress and to a level eradicate the sale of electric car under the pressures from OIL companies... see any similarities in the case of electronic cigarettes as well...no?

I had Nicorette and in the next few days i was diagnosed a skin disease called Lichen Planus in mouth and skin on legs...Lichen Planus which has no definite cure...and at least takes 18 months to cure with recomended medicine(nothing definite) and i still have the disease... I did nothing unusual than routine before i was diagnosed with Lichen Planus...except taking 2 to 3 chewing gums of Nicorette of 4mg...

I continued smoking and i also had the recommended tablets for Lichen Planus given by the Doc and also applied the cream and the burning sensation on my skin and inside of cheeks was there as i never connected the severity of burning sensation and rashes with smoking... A few days back i quit smoking and started vaping and you wouldnt believe...in within 5-6 days of not smoking and just vapping...the rashes were almost gone and the burning in the mouth was gone...everything started healing...even my mental health knowing that Lichen Planus is healing faster...

so say what you wanna say u half brained "Professor Christine whatever"...Vapping has helped me a lot...and i will not quit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread