Not open for further replies.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
You'll hit the "my lord, that tastes awful" and or dry hit point before you hit the "coil rating" that you seek. You won't hit it before you don't like vaping it. A well wetted/wicked coil with ample airflow can take a licking, it's what the cloud contests are all about. I'd advise you start wherever you've been getting an adequate vape and increase Watts or Temperature until you reach your "perfect" vape and stop. If you are using TC, you should find that point somewhere between 400 and 450 degrees F.
I popped a 28g SS430 coil when the mod was set to NI mode and it ramped to the preheat 200W while I was pulsing and looking for hotspots, so, yeah, theoretically, there is a "too much" point. I guarantee, though, I wouldn't like it one little bit if I tried to vape it like that.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
I make my own coils, so I haven't used a tank with a coil rating in some time, but "back in the day," it was a suggested max or range to keep you from getting a horrible vape. The wires in the coils (talking Kanger T3's and Protanks, here) were 32g from the factory, using that string silica wick, so if I pushed it, the wire would get hot and singe the inadequate juice flow, resulting in a bad vape. I learned to recoil those with 29g and cotton/rayon wicks, improving the vape two-fold.
That's beside the point, of course, but I'll reiterate to nudge up to a great vape, first indication of wicking/airflow reaching a limit (begins to taste funny), back down to your previous great vape and soldier on.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Perhaps the wattage rating of stock coils is based on battery safety?
Based on how hard the coil head can be pushed before a burnt hit, and the rating is usually inflated and the actual maximum wattage will depend on the vape style of the user. How high a coil head can be run is dependent on the coil, the wicking, the available airflow, tank design etc. Basing it solely on the coil is impossible. Too many other variables.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread