Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Since I use temp control it's nice to be able to see the watts used for each puff. I have things set up so when the well of my rda is empty and the wick is becoming less saturated I can see the watts declining and temp rising. It's also nice that the puff counter and timer can be reset.

I got used to having one field display the Last Temp, so it's nice to have that on the JTs.

Even at the best of times, TC can get wonky and it helps me to see the temp either staying far too low or shooting 80F high. Usually needs the atty re-seated, but I haven't tracked down a consistent cause.

I usually don't bother.
Just Shenzen things. :D

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I got used to having one field display the Last Temp, so it's nice to have that on the JTs.

Even at the best of times, TC can get wonky and it helps me to see the temp either staying far too low or shooting 80F high. Usually needs the atty re-seated, but I haven't tracked down a consistent cause.

I usually don't bother.
Just Shenzen things. :D
that helps me too im getting into temp control

• Informative
Reactions: 52anddone

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I gave up on this software.

For one thing, I like software packages that install all of themselves and use the Windows registry. I shouldn't go hunting for this package and that before it works as designed.

Secondly, there's absolutely no documentation except in-application tooltips that only make sense to geeks. I'm too old to be a geek. I'm a retired geek. I don't speak geek.

Third, I don't trust a software application that gets a daily "build." Either you have a working version of the application, or you do not. Works in progress are very nice and all, but the real, non-geek world calls that a beta version and waits for a version that won't break something.

Fourth, it refuses to recognize a known genuine eleaf Pico 75 using the USB cable that came in the box with the mod. I know it's genuine because the eleaf website recognizes the verification code and the Eleaf firmware utility recognizes the device and updates the firmware to 1.03, something it will not do with a clone.

I have three Pico 75's and a Pico Dual. This POS software recognizes one Pico 75. It says the rest are not connected.

Y'all wake me up when this thing starts.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I gave up on this software.

For one thing, I like software packages that install all of themselves and use the Windows registry. I shouldn't go hunting for this package and that before it works as designed.

Secondly, there's absolutely no documentation except in-application tooltips that only make sense to geeks. I'm too old to be a geek. I'm a retired geek. I don't speak geek.

Third, I don't trust a software application that gets a daily "build." Either you have a working version of the application, or you do not. Works in progress are very nice and all, but the real, non-geek world calls that a beta version and waits for a version that won't break something.

Fourth, it refuses to recognize a known genuine Eleaf Pico 75 using the USB cable that came in the box with the mod. I know it's genuine because the Eleaf website recognizes the verification code and the Eleaf firmware utility recognizes the device and updates the firmware to 1.03, something it will not do with a clone.

I have three Pico 75's and a Pico Dual. This POS software recognizes one Pico 75. It says the rest are not connected.

Y'all wake me up when this thing starts.
Sorry for your bad experience. My experience is so much more positive I can't imaging going back to the stock software. I'm not a cloud chaser. I vape at 16 max watts with .3 seconds of 130% pre heat and 380 F max temp. I have a configuration file and upload that too all my devices in service. I have 4 presets. One for an N mini that gets a few puffs a week, my normal Temp Control settings for vaping, then a profile at 8 watts in power mode for dry burning coils, and finally a profile set to 420 F with no preheat for the dry cotton test. Another thing I can do that's nice is set a hard limit on watts in all modes for safety. I never go above 24 watts so the limit is set at 30. All that and a few more things improve the quality of my vape help with trouble shooting and save me time.

The purpose of the nightly builds is so the hard core supporters can test and provide feedback. That system is a major reason why there can be so many features.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I had nothing else to do so I tried it out of curiosity. I'm not much of a cloud chaser either--I don't (yet) do temp control and I rarely stray above 40 watts in power mode except to push a Baby Beast or Melo coil just to see how the flavor changes at higher wattage. I probably don't need it... just thought I'd give it a go and it came up badly wanting.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
These new .bin files on there site...the updates just keep getting better and better!
I downloaded and updated the Pico I use all day every day. I even used the "experimental" version that might do a better job of detecting resistance at rest. I rarely change the settings and find no difference so far. I thought the update said there would be the abillity to adjust the rate of charge between .5-2.0. I don't see that in the tool box or on the device.

• Informative

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I downloaded and updated the Pico I use all day every day. I even used the "experimental" version that might do a better job of detecting resistance at rest. I rarely change the settings and find no difference so far. I thought the update said there would be the abillity to adjust the rate of charge between .5-2.0. I don't see that in the tool box or on the device.

May I ask... what versions of NFEToolbox and the .bin (firmware) are you playing with?
And where are you d/l-ing from?

Out of curiosity, I just spent an hour at the NFTeam Forum site and only found that any Installer newer than the very old v1.5 i'm using (from ~Jan/Feb?) requires at minimum a much newer .bin than I'm currently using (170201 - it's a date BTW, nice touch)... and those all say "opened software not suitable for the connected device".

Haven't tried on the old VTC, but I expect the same results.
eta: Actually... the VTC with its large vert screen, may be chipped such that it'll accept at least some of the newer sw... but that won't help with my Picos and i100s.
eta2: Just tried the VTC... no joy. :(

Hell... I can't even find the older software on that site anymore. :mad:

Last edited:
  • Informative

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Not all features are available to all devices.... it won't give your mod new features.... just new ways to use existing features.

It won't fix the mods hardware issues or limitations.... it can only minimize them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Informative

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
May I ask... what versions of NFEToolbox and the .bin (firmware) are you playing with?
And where are you d/l-ing from?

Out of curiosity, I just spent an hour at the NFTeam Forum site and only found that any Installer newer than the very old v1.5 i'm using (from ~Jan/Feb?) requires at minimum a much newer .bin than I'm currently using (170201 - it's a date BTW, nice touch)... and those all say "opened software not suitable for the connected device".

Haven't tried on the old VTC, but I expect the same results.
eta: Actually... the VTC with its large vert screen, may be chipped such that it'll accept at least some of the newer sw... but that won't help with my Picos and i100s.
eta2: Just tried the VTC... no joy. :(

Hell... I can't even find the older software on that site anymore. :mad:
Archive at top of page. I think..... IDK I downloaded each file as they cam out wether I used them or not. But i think I saw the older files there when I was browsing last week.

• Informative

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Archive at top of page. I think..... IDK I downloaded each file as they cam out wether I used them or not. But i think I saw the older files there when I was browsing last week.

I tracked down the GitHub URL from another browser I had been using...
Releases · TBXin/NFirmwareEditor · GitHub

It has all the previous NF Editor versions, but nothing new that I had missed at the AF Team site. So... I have topresume there was a chip set change signicant enough that all of our 2015/2016 JTs are just left behind now. :(

eta: Got distracted with GitHub, and only just now looked and found the Archive link on the Team Forum main page... there are a few .bin versions I hadn't seen so I might give 'em a test... I'm not very hopeful though. :(

Not all features are available to all devices.... it won't give your mod new features.... just new ways to use existing features.

It won't fix the mods hardware issues or limitations.... it can only minimize them.

If you'd said functions in place of features, I'd more readily agree with you.

Giving access to the function to say... adjust brightness, set display parameter preferences, or throttle USB charge current (where applicable*), or the entire pre-heat functionality, just to list a small few... where none existed before, is certainly an "added feature". ;)

Some of them in fact may not even be functions of the mod's chip set... those would certainly be new features, enabled solely by the change in firmware.

* If that's all you meant... I'd agree. I noticed that feature in the most recent .bin's change log, and I suspect it's only of use or activated in the multi-cell mods. Something in the discussion threads there about the charge balancing is making me think that... though ATM I don't recall what (there are many AF features I haven't explored yet).
If so... no joy for the Pico.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

I think I've got it now... though what change in procedure I did that made a difference, I have no idea... too many damned NFE and .bin versions cluttering up the folder tree.

But I have a very recent .bin running under a recent NFE, on one of the i100s... so I'll try to get organized later and put it on the other mods.

Fingers crossed. ;)

• Informative

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
its under advance\expert settings under usb

• Informative

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
its under advance\expert settings under usb

Feature is N/A to pico as it doesn't have a variable rate charging board...... feature only works if mod has hardware to support that feature.

Right... I actually saw the feature drop-down last night, briefly, in "generic" mode before I had u/l'd or d/l'd any saved configs. It can be viewed, for curiosity's sake, by creating a new config without a mod attached.

No joy for the Pico... or the original VTC.

---

Another thing... wasn't there a switch for USB Charging - Enable/Disable?
Can't find one now.

I could really use it on this dinky Win8 Tablet... it gets uppity at the draw while using Monitor. :D

And I don't care for losing the old Battery Profiles... despite the dev saying the Gen(eric) profile is more appropriate. I wanted to lower the cutoff a tad on the VTC, but that control isn't available with the Gen profile (and I haven't yet tested the three "USR" curves to see if one suits).
Yes, yes... I should find some from the Evolve side and use them or compare the curves.
"Lazy"... 'nuff said. :p

• Informative

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Feature is N/A to pico as it doesn't have a variable rate charging board...... feature only works if mod has hardware to support that feature.

Thanks, it's not an important feature to me. I down loaded the experimental versiion. Lately I'm leaving resistance unlocked and may be resustabce is more stable than in the past. May be.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Thanks, it's not an important feature to me. I down loaded the experimental versiion. Lately I'm leaving resistance unlocked and may be resustabce is more stable than in the past. May be.
Depends on you definition of stable... I find leaving the res unlocked just keeps the mods from hitting the temp limiter. Because the mod has only live resistance to regulate off...... basically running VW while in TC mode.. TC needs that cold resistance to calculate temperature.. not to mention how tbe Pico metering is kinda all over the place as it is.

I've been running SS wire only for about 6 months..... I find on the pico I get best TC performance in TCR mode with the TCR set at 70 to 80..... note I vape at 25watts or less so that may be a factor.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread