Unintentional nicotine tapering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolly Dagger

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Idaho, USA
I was watching a video on YouTube yesterday about choosing juices and then this girl threw this story out there about how she unintentionally tapered her nicotine levels down. She felt dizzy, had headaches and a racing heart all of a sudden. She cut her daily nic juices down 6% (from 24 mg to 18) and immediately felt better. 6 months later she was down to 3% or sometimes 0%. Suddenly things have started making sense to me. I feel like the 18 mg nic juices I've been chain-vaping since quitting analogs 46 days ago are suddenly too strong, my chest is hurting a bit, I had heartburn/mild chest pain yesterday, a racing heart today and vaping just isn't very pleasant to me lately because the nicotine feels too strong. I crave the juice flavors but not as much the nicotine lately.

This totally took me by surprise.

when I quit smoking I chain-vaped endlessly, most of the time it never seemed like I was getting either enough or too much nicotine. I found 18mg to be perfect, but I could have done a little more. As I broke off that tie with cigarettes, vaping was the pacifier I needed. My family was worried I was vaping too much because I lost some weight (yeah, imagine that! I lost weight quitting smoking this time around instead of gaining 10 lbs like I always have before.) Many people expressed concern to me that I was going to just get more and more addicted, maybe eventually start smoking again or just keep stepping up in nicotine.

so here's the point: I never really had any fear or desire to cut down. My concern was not tapering off, just quitting analogs. I really enjoy vaping and plan to continue to do it as long as I enjoy it. But is my body telling me to cut down on nicotine? I can't chain-vape like I used to. I want to, I constantly try to vape because I crave the flavor but it feels like too much, like when you've had too many cigarettes and you just want one because you are used to having one at a certain time but it does not feel or taste good at all. Does this mean.....nicotine isn't actually as addictive as we once thought it was? Is it true most vapors cut down in nic over time?

I've gone from 22 mg/ml to 5 mg/ml over the last year and barely noticed. Nowadays even 12 mg knocks me on my .....

Mine was intentional, but the fact that I'm down to less than a quarter of my starting amount without any hassle indicates that something is going on there. Plus I can walk away from my vape or use it at half normal rate and not have any issues.

You can get vegetable glycerin at a lot of pharmacies, usually in the first aid aisle. Just look for USP on the label, telling you it's pharmaceutical grade.

Propylene glycol may also be available, but mostly you need to ask the pharmacist for that. Again, USP grade.

Which one to use depends on your preference. If your liquids are PG or VG, use the same thing and you won't notice (but flavor is reduced).

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I've also experienced the unintentional nicotine tapering. In my first 6-8 months of vaping, I went from 24mg down to about 8mg. Each time it was because the nicotine started affecting me too strongly—I felt sort of racey, anxious. So I dropped to the next level down. A few months later, same thing happened again and I dropped again. The liquid I buy doesn't come lower than 11mg, so what I do is buy a 0mg of the same flavor and mix it down (that's how I end up with "about 8mg"). The 8mg seems to be my true maintenance level. I've been steady at that for a few years now.

I think maybe what happens is our need for nicotine increases while we're withdrawing and detoxing from cigarettes. As we start to recover from that, our nic dependency can reduce. I know I'm still addicted, but how much of that addiction is actual chemical dependence on nicotine and how much is the ingrained habit of hand-to-mouth, inhale-exhale habit, who knows. I tend to think it's about 50-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread