unknown ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

vape0351

Verified Member
Nov 24, 2015
Brooklyn
How would you go about finding the specs on the mandrel or drill bit or (in my case) screwdriver you use for wrapping your coils? It's a phillips head I had lying around that I had lying around and used because it looked approximately the right size and all it says on the side is ace #0 2167179 and search results just take me to hardware store sites that don't list diameter. Want to start using steam engine to get the right ohms from my wraps but not entirely keen on buying a whole new screwdriver just so I know how big it is.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Most screwdrivers don't list the diameter of the drive portion of the handle. Usually there is just #1 #2 etc. and that refers to the head size. Do you have a caliper? That would be the only thing you could accurately measure it with. Now I have heard of being a thrifty vaper, but dude, just buy a cheap 2.95 coil jig from MFS or almost any other listed supplier here and you can make accurate coils of many diameters.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
If I didn't have a measuring device? The screw driver you would have to buy will cost about $1 at almost any store with a hardware section or eye glass repair kit.
I'd agree with this. I got 6 precision screwdrivers from 1.5-3.0 from Walmart for less then 2 bucks.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
How would you go about finding the specs on the mandrel or drill bit or (in my case) screwdriver you use for wrapping your coils?
I would measure it, with a measuring tool. Generally speaking as a rule to figure out the size of stuff, you measure it. Honestly you don't necessarily need fancy tools either if you think about it correctly, the fancy tools just make it much faster and more accurate. Since I'm assuming you don't have a basic ruler or a set of drill bits to compare to your unknown screwdriver I will also assume you have no access to calipers or a micrometer but if you're really curious about what size this screwdriver is then what I would do is find something/borrow something of an already known diameter and build a few coils with it then see if your unknown size screwdriver fits the coils the same way they fit around the known size you wrapped them around initially. Keep doing that with a few different known diameter mandrels and I'm sure you'll figure out very closely what the diameter of said screwdriver is. My personal recommendation for size comparison would be a set of drill bits.

Edit: If you get a set of drill bits to compare sizes to your screwdriver they'll probably be in standard fractional measurements, convert the fraction to a decimal and then to convert to metric there are 25.4mm per inch. So for instance, 1/8" = 0.125" x 25.4 which would be 3.175mm. You can also simply ask google "0.125" in mm" and it will compute it for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread