Unusual 18650 batteries, trying to get more info on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

olokos

Dec 13, 2015
Poland, Warsaw
So I build 3 ohm (!) coil on the zephyrus v2 rda base and wismec says that device is too hot, while batteries temparature is normal (wismec front does heat up a bit), is this something I can go on with or should I go lower with the resistance?
Pasteboard — Uploaded Image
That's how it looks right now. 0.25 or .3 kanthal D.

It doesn't say too hot all the time, but after heating up like 10 times before wicking.

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, I will build a 1.2ohm coil for the time being. I think you could see the markings on the battery on that picture, but if you do not then it's L5A0311-5, the other is labelled L5A0311-4, so the last number could mean which battery is it from a battery back or something like this.

I don't really have that much knowledge about batteries so it would be nice if you could explain some stuff to me.
What happens when the battery is highly drained if it's not designed for that? I think it just simply wouldn't output enough power thus it would obviously perform worse and provide less vapour, am I wrong here?
I don't really get what does "explosively vent" mean to be honest.

My nemesis doesn't have almost any venting at all to be honest the only place it is exposed to the outside is the little space between the body and the button, but in fact, even when used with 0.3 build it doesn't really heat up.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Maybe you should put that mech mod down and vape on a regulated device with a built in battery for your own safety until you learn everything about battery safety.

olokos

Dec 13, 2015
Poland, Warsaw
Well, I switched from Kayfun and Vamo/EGO V V3 Mega right to Wismec and Zephyrus in the matter of a week or two. All I need now is proper batteries. I'll borrow iJust2 battery from a friend of mine while waiting for HG2's to arrive. That should do the trick. TBH I'm not really into mechanic mods at all. Somebody actually gave it to me for free, some time ago and if not wismec then I have nothing else that would run under 1.2ohm right now, that is until tomorrow morning.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Please, you can go-back and Re-read my post on the 1st page of this thread. I have rewritten my advice. Thank you for your time. I do hope that you've got this sorted-out, and that you've reconsidered the use of these batteries, & have NEW, safe-chem batteries in the mail. Please PM me if you have any questions on safe-chem batteries & if you need anything... I can help you, if you need help, okay? Thank you for your time, my friend. Please, be safe..

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
wqc9VFY.jpg

I don't recognize the above batteries. I'm pretty up to date on the available IMR -- IMR/hybrid batteries currently available on the market, and these are not any of those. I imagine what you have here are ICR chemistry batteries, so they should NOT be used in any type of mod --- mechanical or regulated.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Can we get a pic of the terminal ends of those suicide batts? Im thinking they came from a laptop battery pack or something like that.

Honestly you have been told by multiple people how dangerous it is to use them. yet you keep saying your gonna have to use them untill you get some different ones... My dude, just stop. stop using them. Stop endangering yourself and everyone around you. Stop endangering my hobby of vaping...

I had a 18500 batt in my copper cartel mod. I kinda had a dumba$$ moment and built a way low build on it and it vented. the tube started heating up really quick and I tossed it out of my house window into the gravel driveway. I knew immediately what had happened... the battery went into thermal runaway and started to vent. When it vented the battery casing swelled up and basically acted like a plug or stopper not allowing the gases that were being released inside of the tube to escape out the vent holes in the bottom. the pressure built up inside it rather quickly and it went off like a pipe bomb. In my gravel driveway. 4 feet from my car. I had to replace both side windows of my car. the atty I had on it was a cheap clone of the Mad Hatter, nice heavy solid chunk of copper was found the next day in my shed where it put a decent dent in the tank of my Harley. This was about 50 yards from where it went boom. This all happened because I put a .2 build on a mech that had a battery that could NOT support the amp draw. Only difference was that I had the battery's specs. I knew it couldnt support the build I put on it. I was stupid.

What happens if they are REALLY crappy batteries and are only 10 amp or even 7.5 amp batteries and you put a 20 amp load on them... what happens if they are 15 amp batteries when manufactured, but have since degraded and now are down to 7 amps? Please for everyone including yourself, get rid of them and do NOT use them in anything vape related. Hell, give me your damn address and Ill send you a friggin sammy 25r....

ok, getting off my soapbox...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I had a 18500 batt in my copper cartel mod. I kinda had a dumba$$ moment and built a way low build on it and it vented. the tube started heating up really quick and I tossed it out of my house window into the gravel driveway. I knew immediately what had happened... the battery went into thermal runaway and started to vent. When it vented the battery casing swelled up and basically acted like a plug or stopper not allowing the gases that were being released inside of the tube to escape out the vent holes in the bottom. the pressure built up inside it rather quickly and it went off like a pipe bomb. ...

This is One thing that has Always made me Shake my Head when it comes to 95% of the Mech Mods I have seen.

Vent Holes at the Bottom or in the Switch.

Since a Battery is Designed to Vent at the Top, and since it is Very Unwise to put a Battery in a Mech Mod with the Positive End Down, Shouldn't the Vent Holes be at the Top of a Mech Mod?

Or Hey, here's a Rocket Science level Idea. Both.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
This is One thing that has Always made me Shake my Head when it comes to 95% of the Mech Mods I have seen.

Since a Battery is Designed to Vent at the Top, and since it is Very Unwise to put a Battery in a Mech Mod with the Positive End Down, Shouldn't the Vent Holes be at the Top of a Mech Mod?

I agree. On my bronze Dragon mod I actually drilled holes at the top as well just so that wouldnt happen again. well that and I make sure I am paying attention when I build. that was the single worst problem in my situation. I had all the info I needed, I just didnt keep it in mind and made a stupid decision.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Dude, bro, man, bear, pig... Hears the deal: The batteries you've got are crap. They're unknown. They're a mystery to you and to all of us, and w'ere experts, we've been on this forum for 8 years, and we know what we're talking about. Have you ever seen a picture of the aftermath from one of our APV vapers, having a mod up to their mouth when/while their battery failed? Dude, it punches your teeth out! One minute, you're vaping on your PV all-smiles, the next second, you're missing a front tooth and gasping for air as your favorite stainless-steel drip-tip dislodges from your throat & makes it's way down your esophagus. NOT a pretty picture, my friend - NOT a pretty picture at all. Is that what you wanna experience, or do you want to err on the safe-side, and AVOID dental-damage & a missing-tooth!?

My advice to you, is to put those batteries in a box, and either A. Bring them to your local battery recycling facility, or B. Keep them in that box until you've got a better/safer use for them. IE: If you ever wind-up with a regulated device that uses rechargeable batteries, you'll have them, ready to go!

Reactions: Baditude

olokos

Dec 13, 2015
Poland, Warsaw
Did you say that those batteries are LEAKING?
Please, if I read-correctly, please STOP using them. Please.
These are not leaking. Previous Panasonic batteries were. Check them in my previous thread. I got rid of them now anyway. Thanks a lot for your answer and offer to help in-private. :)
I don't recognize the above batteries. I'm pretty up to date on the available IMR -- IMR/hybrid batteries currently available on the market, and these are not any of those. I imagine what you have here are ICR chemistry batteries, so they should NOT be used in any type of mod --- mechanical or regulated.
Those batteries were scavenged from the following laptop
Can we get a pic of the terminal ends of those suicide batts? Im thinking they came from a laptop battery pack or something like that.

Honestly you have been told by multiple people how dangerous it is to use them. yet you keep saying your gonna have to use them untill you get some different ones... My dude, just stop. stop using them. Stop endangering yourself and everyone around you. Stop endangering my hobby of vaping...

I had a 18500 batt in my copper cartel mod. I kinda had a dumba$$ moment and built a way low build on it and it vented. the tube started heating up really quick and I tossed it out of my house window into the gravel driveway. I knew immediately what had happened... the battery went into thermal runaway and started to vent. When it vented the battery casing swelled up and basically acted like a plug or stopper not allowing the gases that were being released inside of the tube to escape out the vent holes in the bottom. the pressure built up inside it rather quickly and it went off like a pipe bomb. In my gravel driveway. 4 feet from my car. I had to replace both side windows of my car. the atty I had on it was a cheap clone of the Mad Hatter, nice heavy solid chunk of copper was found the next day in my shed where it put a decent dent in the tank of my Harley. This was about 50 yards from where it went boom. This all happened because I put a .2 build on a mech that had a battery that could NOT support the amp draw. Only difference was that I had the battery's specs. I knew it couldnt support the build I put on it. I was stupid.

What happens if they are REALLY crappy batteries and are only 10 amp or even 7.5 amp batteries and you put a 20 amp load on them... what happens if they are 15 amp batteries when manufactured, but have since degraded and now are down to 7 amps? Please for everyone including yourself, get rid of them and do NOT use them in anything vape related. Hell, give me your damn address and Ill send you a friggin sammy 25r....

ok, getting off my soapbox...
Woah, that sounds bad. Really bad. Thank you for that info. I live in a flat so I propably wouldn't be fast enough to open a window and throw it out. None of my batteries went even warm, but still, it could be dangerous. I'm glad I stopped using that mech mod. I'm not sure if you were serious about those sammys, but that sounds awesome and thanks for that. :)

I have NO vent's on my nemesis, not at all, which is ridiculous. Here's the one I have, with just a different color. Nemesis Mod Body In Ssteel - E-DYM.COM

Dude, bro, man, bear, pig... Hears the deal: The batteries you've got are crap. They're unknown. They're a mystery to you and to all of us, and w'ere experts, we've been on this forum for 8 years, and we know what we're talking about. Have you ever seen a picture of the aftermath from one of our APV vapers, having a mod up to their mouth when/while their battery failed? Dude, it punches your teeth out! One minute, you're vaping on your PV all-smiles, the next second, you're missing a front tooth and gasping for air as your favorite stainless-steel drip-tip dislodges from your throat & makes it's way down your esophagus. NOT a pretty picture, my friend - NOT a pretty picture at all. Is that what you wanna experience, or do you want to err on the safe-side, and AVOID dental-damage & a missing-tooth!?

My advice to you, is to put those batteries in a box, and either A. Bring them to your local battery recycling facility, or B. Keep them in that box until you've got a better/safer use for them. IE: If you ever wind-up with a regulated device that uses rechargeable batteries, you'll have them, ready to go!
I am using a regulated device. Wismec Reuleaux RX200, which actually doesn't detect it's voltage properly, but since it uses 3 of them it puts smaller load on them, so it is a bit safer, isn't it? I've got LG HG2's on the way, they should arrive within the following days, hopefully this week.
What happened today was a bit awkward. I had my Wismec Reuleaux RX200 loaded with 3 of those batteries, all charged and working well and after I went to sleep for about 11 hours I woke up to a dead batteries. I mean they discharged by themselves while I haven't touched it at all and they were working pretty good before I went to sleep.

The batteries that I have on the first picture are scavenged from the following battery pack.

They take ages to fully charge and discharge pretty quickly. Another thing I found out is that Wismec doesn't detect their voltage as it should.
On the picture above the left column is battery levels detected by wismec and on the right column is the actual voltage measured by my multimeter. All double checked both in wismec and multimeter. I'm wondering if the same stuff will happen if I get the HG2's.
If you guys want I'll keep you updated.

Thanks everyone for your valuable, massively helpful and useful replies. I've previously been posting to my local, Polish vaping board, which is one of the most popular boards in my country and there's NO way I could get THAT amount of useful, quick and reasonable replies. I'll stick with you guys and abandon that other board. You guys are like heaven compared to the other board hell, where moderators are idiots and users are cheeky.

Huge thank you to everyone that was/is helping me here.

By the way, if any of you guys here have any issues or things that you want in your android phone then PM me. I do have some skills that might prove useful to you.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Ive been active on XDA for years, since the original moto droid. Love the android platform.

Figured it was from a scavenged pack. I really dont use my mechs much anymore, but if they didnt have vent holes i would NEVER use them. just my .02. with the varying voltages, and them draining dead overnight with out use, it leads me to think that they are damaged inside. Laptop batteries are famous for that. people leave the laptop plugged into the cord all the time and it slowly cooks and kills the cells in the pack. that and you dont know the amp limit of them when they were new and in good shape. now figure cell degradation from incidental abuse from constantly being on a charger... Definitely wouldn't use them. Even in your RX200.

I know I sound like a broken record here. But Ive seen what happens with one cell going critical. lets not try 3.

Reactions: Cacique

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Stop! Using! Scavenged! Batteries! Yes, the Reuleaux is regulated so it's safer, in theory. But regulated mods have no way of knowing what batteries it uses and it's more than possible to get batteries such as those you're using in a regulated mod. Furthermore, the Reuleaux has three batteries in series which means that when one goes into thermal overload the other two are likely to follow. You then have three batteries exploding and spewing fire in your face.

Get a pack of cigarettes to hold you over until you get proper batteries.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread