UPDATE 6/25/14! NJ Gov. Chris Christie proposes taxing e-cigs at rate equal to $2.70/pack cigarette tax + other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundodger

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2013
All 57 States
Saw this in Rogers round up, thought it is relevant to the thread! NJ Assembly budget chairman says no to tax on electronic cigarettes | NJ.com

Nice find,and then a comment that links to a CDC report on amounts of nicotine added to beef by an employee of a supermarket. People ingested the beef and got sick, but none died even though it was a very high amount of nicotine. Sorry if this is off topic but I think it's important to the entire vision of our story, the ANTZ just go round and round with everything.

Nicotine Poisoning After Ingestion of Contaminated Ground Beef --- Michigan, 2003

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Haha! This!! ^^^^ If they taxed his food intake, there'd be no more budget woes. And slapping vapers around with taxes is meant to defer attention from his bridge woes.
I should imagine it is because J and J and other Pharma companies have their offices in Ne Jersey. Just a quick trip to the N.J Capitol to lobby Christie and the Legislators in N,J.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I should imagine it is because J and J and other Pharma companies have their offices in Ne Jersey. Just a quick trip to the N.J Capitol to lobby Christie and the Legislators in N,J.

I wouldn't doubt all those drug companies had a lot of influence on the indoor ban NJ passed very quickly a couple years ago. There are a ton of Pharma companies there.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Saw this in Rogers round up, thought it is relevant to the thread! NJ Assembly budget chairman says no to tax on electronic cigarettes | NJ.com

At least some good news for a change. Not completely dead, but at least the budget chairman recognized the testimony given and indicated it swayed some opinion on the matter in both parties. I can't say this ever seems to happen in California or Los Angeles, where our "progressive, enlightened representatives" agenda trumps any opinion or desires of the unwashed masses, who don't know any better.

Nice find,and then a comment that links to a CDC report on amounts of nicotine added to beef by an employee of a supermarket. People ingested the beef and got sick, but none died even though it was a very high amount of nicotine. Sorry if this is off topic but I think it's important to the entire vision of our story, the ANTZ just go round and round with everything.

Yes, this certainly ties into the obviously biased (and lame) NY Times article from yesterday, which obviously was on the mind of some of the folks who commented.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
It certainly does help that the Committee Chair (Schaer) is apparently a dual user vaper/smoker.You NJ guy totally lucked out on that one. Do keep an eye on the Senate bill (S1867), as it's still very much a threat.

Note that the current version of S1867 apparently defines everything as a "tobacco product"
"Tobacco product" means any product containing, made, or derived from any tobacco, nicotine or other chemicals or substances for [personal] human consumption, or placement in the oral or nasal cavity or otherwise into the human body, whether chewed, smoked, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or ingested by other means,

Last edited:

TotlKaos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
New Jersey
The problem with NJ (I live in this crap state) they will table a law and then when no one is looking put it as a rider on another bill. If they want the law passed it will get passed no matter what the people of the state want or say. Trust me on this! Living here most of my live this is a lesson I have learned. Hell for almost 30 years now they say they are working on reducing taxes.. go figure after 30 years nothing has happened!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The problem with NJ (I live in this crap state) they will table a law and then when no one is looking put it as a rider on another bill. If they want the law passed it will get passed no matter what the people of the state want or say. Trust me on this! Living here most of my live this is a lesson I have learned. Hell for almost 30 years now they say they are working on reducing taxes.. go figure after 30 years nothing has happened!

That's not true, taxes in NJ are always increasing. NJ had the distinction of being the first state to put e cigs in the same category as smoking via dear old departed Frank. I can see them sneaking the e cig tax under your noses.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Doesnt help when nobody shows up to fight! Thank goodness for folks like Greg who seems to be a one man army. I believe Bill G showed up as well. On the 18th (The day I was there), very very little representation from B&M's. we aren't putting up that much of a fight. We ARE lucky the Chairperson is a vaper, though, he is only one person, the Senate has proposed their own bill.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
NJ legislators need to be told that taxing e-cigs (especially at that outrageous rate) will destroy brick and mortar e-cig retailers in NJ by giving most of their business to Internet retailers and B&M retailers located near borders of adjacent states.

Bill, Please call me. You have my phone numbers. 704-9995-1115.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Totlkaos, you could be describing the Illinois General Assembly.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Some more discussion on the NJ tax. I would like to address this Mary E. O’Dowd somehow. I just have not figured out how yet. She believes all of the typical ANTZ nonsense. I am so angered and tired of folks spewing crap out of their mouths without ANY evidence to back themselves up. I am really really angry.
www. njspotlight.
com/stories/14/04/14/legislators-question-benefits-of-raising-e-cigarette-tax/
Link broken as much junk and untruths are spread throughout the article thanks to the Health Commissioner. Good thing there is some opposition to this tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Some more discussion on the NJ tax. I would like to address this Mary E. O’Dowd somehow. I just have not figured out how yet. She believes all of the typical ANTZ nonsense. I am so angered and tired of folks spewing crap out of their mouths without ANY evidence to back themselves up. I am really really angry.
www. njspotlight.
com/stories/14/04/14/legislators-question-benefits-of-raising-e-cigarette-tax/
Link broken as much junk and untruths are spread throughout the article thanks to the Health Commissioner. Good thing there is some opposition to this tax.

The site accepts comments, and I did....the current comments are all very much against the Health Commissioner's rantings...:2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread