UPDATE 6/25/14! NJ Gov. Chris Christie proposes taxing e-cigs at rate equal to $2.70/pack cigarette tax + other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
The site accepts comments, and I did....the current comments are all very much against the Health Commissioner's rantings...:2cool:
I commented as well. You will notice I mentioned the Health Comm is trying to kill children! Maybe a little over the top, but considering what we are up against....:D

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Poll: Should New Jersey tax e-cigarettes the same as regular smokes?
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...ax-electronic-cigarettes-like-regular-smokes/

This is a well designed poll.

So far, 80% oppose any tax on e-cigs, and another 15% oppose taxing e-cigs now and in the near future. So please cast your vote.

Interesting that just 5% of respondents voted to tax e-cigs.

While it may not be scientific, NJ residents should send a copy of this poll to your Senators and Assembly members in a letter urging them to oppose an e-cig tax. To find out who to send letters to, go to

CASAA Call to Action: New Jersey’s Governor Christie is proposing a tax on e-cigarettes at the same rate as combustible cigarettes
CASAA: Call to Action! New Jersey's Governor Christie is Proposing a Tax on E-Cigarettes at the Same Rate as Combustible Cigarettes (Significantly UPDATED 3-27-14)

Last edited:

Elphaba Thropp

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
USA, East Coast
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Please use the Sandbox for testing

Elphaba Thropp

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
USA, East Coast
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Please use the Sandbox for testing

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
The email addresses provided for all of the senators on the CASAA site come up as invalid.
Does anyone know of an accurate list of email addresses that one can copy/paste to hear my defiance against this political ridiculousness and money hoarding thievery?
Thank you for your concern!!Check out these couple of links, plenty of useful info on the NJ site...
New Jersey Legislature - Find Your Legislator
New Jersey Legislature
Thanks for stepping to the plate, we ALL need to be concerned as there are legislative issues from state to state, and now at the federal level too:facepalm:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
CTA for NJ has been updated today by CASAA!

CASAA: Call to Action! New Jersey's Governor Christie is Proposing a Tax on E-Cigarettes at the Same Rate as Combustible Cigarettes (Significantly UPDATED 3-27-14)

UPDATE 5/16/14: The Senate Committee on Health has scheduled a hearing for this coming MONDAY, May 19th at 1:00 PM for SB 1867 (outrageous 75% wholesale tax on all e-cigarette liquids, devices, components, etc.) and AB 1080 (banning e-cigarette use on parks and beaches). The hearing will take place in Committee Room 1 on the 1st Floor of the State House Annex (125 W. State St in Trenton, NJ 08608). There is free parking behind the State House. It is CRITICAL that advocates attend this hearing and speak out against the negative effects of a tax of this sort as well as express opposition to banning smoke-free e-cigarette use in parks and beaches.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
I will. Remember that in New Jersey the governor has line item veto power. Meaning he can just strike Any particular item out of the budget. The only way the legislature can override it is by a two thirds majority. And that is extremely unlikely because they would need Republicans to cross party lines.

So if this tax goes into effect, that would be sufficient "evidence" that Christie IS in fact, responsible for it? He signs it, he owns it.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
So if this tax goes into effect, that would be sufficient "evidence" that Christie IS in fact, responsible for it? He signs it, he owns it.

Without a doubt, what's happening in NJ is the state isn't taking in enough money to satisfy the political "blob" in Trenton, if need an ever increasing supply of cash to feed on. Loss of tobacco taxes, loss of income tax (with loss of jobs), the difference needs to be made up somewhere....:mad:

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Unfortunately, a 13yr old can take his allowance to any store, buy a prepaid credit card, and use it online. A credit card is no longer an automatic age verification tool, nor an indication that a parent will see the purchases on a monthly statement.

Credit cards can be used for a lot of things that are unsuitable for minors. It would seem to be a better solution to either limit minors access to credit cards, or provide cards that are identifiable as belonging to minors via number, or card name, instead of trying to regulate thousands of products that are available to adults with credit cards.

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
Sad. Why is the stepphenwolf song " the Monster "keep playing in my head. This just Suck's... For Me I DIY and I know how to Mod and wrap a coil so this State can kiss it. Just wanted it to be better for the nubes. Don't you remember your journey ? I am 2 week out from the fight of my life and I'm winning so don't think I am giving up on this yet.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Sad. Why is the stepphenwolf song " the Monster "keep playing in my head. This just Suck's... For Me I DIY and I know how to Mod and wrap a coil so this State can kiss it. Just wanted it to be better for the nubes. Don't you remember your journey ? I am 2 week out from the fight of my life and I'm winning so don't think I am giving up on this yet.
It's definitely not over yet! But looking grim! Jersey vape shops seem to be getting more organized, hopefully its not too late!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
It's not over, but with New Jersey's budget shortfalls (think Detroit with more trees) and the politicians inability to stop spending, I fear this may pass not because it's good policy regarding vaping, but just because it's a way for the pols to shake the piggy bank once more.

I've contacted every state senator and assemblyman, even received a few responses.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
It's not over, but with New Jersey's budget shortfalls (think Detroit with more trees) and the politicians inability to stop spending, I fear this may pass not because it's good policy regarding vaping, but just because it's a way for the pols to shake the piggy bank once more.

I've contacted every state senator and assemblyman, even received a few responses.
You are exactly right! The thing is, if they think the budget shortfalls are going to be corrected, they really need to re-evaluate. First off....the $35 million, that the e-cig tax is estimated to bring in, is probably 7 to 9 times over estimated. Secondly, nobody will buy their e-liquids in Jersey period! AND, this potentially will shut down vape shops. They need to look elsewhere!! Just BAD policy!!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Of course it's not going to generate the revenue they estimate, it never does. When they raised cigarette taxes, I was always just a short hop from the Penn border, with lower prices and cigarette outlets just over the border...:facepalm:

A few good B&M have popped up in my area, and from a few visits, I'm hoping they last a long time. I've spent some time talking to the staff and gently pointed out what they have right, and where they are dangerously wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread