UPDATED New York State Call to Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
From the NYS Assembly site: (update in bold)

A01468 Summary:
BILL NO A01468

SAME AS Same as S 695

SPONSOR Rosenthal (MS)

COSPNSR Titone, Englebright, Maisel, Galef, Miller M, Castro, Jaffee

MLTSPNSR Camara, Cymbrowitz, Gottfried, Pheffer, Sweeney, tobacco

Amd S1399-cc, add S1399-mm-1, Pub Health L

Prohibits the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors; prohibits distribution
or sale of any item containing or delivering nicotine that is not defined by
law as a tobacco product or approved by the United States food and drug
administration for sale as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction product.
Go to top
A01468 Actions:
BILL NO A01468

01/10/2011 referred to health
01/25/2011 reported referred to codes
01/04/2012 referred to health
02/24/2012 enacting clause stricken

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
From my limited experience with the arcane rules of the New York Legislature, the bill is pretty much dead in the Assembly (died in the Health committee), for this legislative session, anyways.

I am unsure if the sponsor can or cannot re-introduce in this session, but I am thinking she (Linda Rosenthal) cannot.

I am sure, however, that someone with more knowledge of the subject will be along at some point to clear the matter up. :)

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Last month, the sponsor of A 1468, Linda Rosenthal said that was no longer pursuing that bill (after we convinced the NY Senate Health Cmte to let an identical bill die in 2010, and after the Assembly didn't even pass A 1468 last year), and she instead introduced A 9044 (that just bans the sale of e-cigarettes to minors), which was approved by the Assembly Health Cmte two weeks ago.

NY legislation (A 9044) would ban e-cigarette sales to minors
Bills
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?sh=printbill&bn=A09044&term=

It appears that A 1468 is officially dead.

Last edited:

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
NY legislation (A 9044) would ban e-cigarette sales to minors
Bills
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?sh=printbill&bn=A09044&term=

It appears that A 1468 is officially dead.

THIS is the law that I have been in support of from the get-go, all the way back in 2010 when I first started experimenting with vaping. No sales of nicotine ANYTHING to minors is the right law. But adults should have the right to vape if they so choose.

Good for NY for finally doing something right!

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
On Friday, the NY Assembly Codes Cmte amended and approved A 9044, which was introduced this year by Linda Rosenthal to ban e-cigarette sales to minors.
Bills

I didn't compare the text of the introduced bill the text of the amended bill (which is now called A 9044A), but the bill would still define e-cigarettes to be smoking paraphernalia, and would still ban their sales to minors.

Also last week, S 2926, which is the same as A 9044, was introduced in the NY Senate.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
On Friday, the NY Assembly Codes Committee amended Linda Rosenthal's legislation (AB 9044) that would ban e-cigarette sales to minors.
Bills

Also on Friday, the NY Senate Health Committee amended legislation (SB 2926) that would ban e-cigarette sales to minors.
Bills

Note that SB 9044 and SB 2926 were identical as introduced, and are now identical following amendments.

This indicates that some negative comments about e-cigs were removed from both bills, and that either one or both of these bills may be ready to move through the NY legislature towards enactment.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
On Friday, the NY Assembly Codes Cmte amended and approved A 9044, which was introduced this year by Linda Rosenthal to ban e-cigarette sales to minors.
Bills

I didn't compare the text of the introduced bill the text of the amended bill (which is now called A 9044A),but the bill would still define e-cigarettes to be smoking paraphernalia, and would still ban their sales to minors.

Also last week, S 2926, which is the same as A 9044, was introduced in the NY Senate.

I will be looking into where that phrase could cause us concern. What's your take, Bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread