Updated!! Pennsylvania: 40% tax = game over for vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
[EDIT] CASAA have just released a call to action: CASAA: PA - Take action to oppose a 40 percent wholesale tax on vapor products.

**Pennsylvania Update**

Article 12-A of HB 1198 -- the revenue portion of Pennsylvania's 2017 budget -- is a death warrant. The tax imposed is so high, so sudden, and so poorly considered that few vapor retailers are likely to survive. There is no loophole or bright side for consumers either. In fact, the state has managed to criminalize possession of vapor products for which the tax has not been paid.

This is, without a doubt, one of, if not the, worst pieces of vapor tax legislation we have seen. Pennsylvania will not collect the estimated amount of revenue expected from this tax and will harm hundreds of thousands of PA residents in the process.
[/EDIT]

This is desperately sad. The State of Pennsylvania has just passed a bill which places a 40% tax on the wholesale price of vaping products sold in the state.

Significantly, this includes a "floor tax" meaning that the day after the bill is enacted, each vape store must pay the state a sum equal to 40% of the value of all inventory currently held by that store.

Put simply, most vape stores will not be able to pay this, and will shut up shop.

It's hard to imagine why Pennsylvania would do this. The tax clearly won't bring any significant revenues if stores close and vapers buy their product out of state via online and interstate purchasing. It looks to me like a move to purposely shut the stores down.

It's also yet another wake up call for vapers everywhere. If you're not a member of CASAA, please join so you can get a heads up on any action concerning your state. In a matter of weeks we've witnessed the closing down of the vape industry in two US States. It's doubtful they'll be the last.

EDIT: Chris Hughes (a great guy) from Fat Cat Vapor shop wrote on Facebook:
The Pennsylvania State Republican Party just a few minutes ago voted to wipe out every vapor business in the state of PA. The mechanism is a 40% wholesale cost tax that includes a "floor tax" that requires all PA vape shops to write a check to the state for 40% of the wholesale value of their entire inventory on the day the tax takes effect. Nobody can do that.

The Republican leadership of the House and Senate just committed a fraud on the citizens of Pennsylvania, by claiming a tax that they knew would close 100% of these businesses would magically generate $13.3 million in revenue.

If you live in PA, and vape, and happen to be registered Republican, I strongly encourage you to immediately change your registration to Democrat, and call your Republican officials in Harrisburg.

Last edited:

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
smileys-sad-438858_zpsdbd6f2a9.gif

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I read about this yesterday in one of my advocacy groups, clearly lawmakers don't understand the industry or they are simply trying to bury it...

Since the only thing containing nicotine is the juice I could see a 15% tax on the juice alone working out but to tax vape items across the board more than sales tax is absolutely insane, vape shops in PA must be freaking out, you don't pay tobacco related taxes on Hooka's and Tobacco Pipes or Zippo's do you? Nope, should be the same for Vaping paraphernalia.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...B&billNbr=1198&pn=3731&mobile_choice=suppress

Last edited:

MrDripper

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2015
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
As a (once) proud Pennsylvanian born man, I am deeply saddened by this news. The more this happens, the more we see just how far BT's reach is. Because, let's face it, this is all it is REALLY about. Lost tax revenue by people switching to vaping and the tobacco sales just plummet. One day, a state will realize and welcome vapers with open arms...A Vapetopia...if you will...?
In any case, while you can...
Vape On!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just can't bring myself to "like" this post. :cry:
Oh, they covered online too. But it's beyond me how an individual is supposed to know the "wholesale price" of whatever they buy to actually pay the tax (assuming they were so inclined as to pay it)

How have they covered online, Princessdee?

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
How have they covered online, Princessdee?

All I know is this, quoted from post # 55 in this thread:Smokefree PA urges General Assembly to hike cigarette tax, but to NOT tax vapor or smokeless

"Internet purchases are permitted, but the buyer is responsible for paying the 40% wholesale tax on the retail price payed. The tax must be payed by the 20th of the month following the purchase."

Post #56 also mentions it.

(Mod: if cross quoting is not allowed, I forget, please edit for me)

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
All I know is this, quoted from post # 55 in this thread:Smokefree PA urges General Assembly to hike cigarette tax, but to NOT tax vapor or smokeless

"Internet purchases are permitted, but the buyer is responsible for paying the 40% wholesale tax on the retail price payed. The tax must be payed by the 20th of the month following the purchase."

Post #56 also mentions it.

(Mod: if cross quoting is not allowed, I forget, please edit for me)

They did this to us over purchasing cigarettes over the internet. I got hit with a pretty high bill, and did NOT know I was supposed to be paying taxes. This is a MESS!!! DIY is coming to my home sooner than I planned.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Just can't bring myself to "like" this post. :cry:
Oh, they covered online too. But it's beyond me how an individual is supposed to know the "wholesale price" of whatever they buy to actually pay the tax (assuming they were so inclined as to pay it)

For online purchases, a consumer is classed an "unclassified importer." The 40% tax is applied to the purchase price not the wholesale price. It is due by the 20th of the month following the purchase with the appropriate forms filed, unless the department states less frequent submission is permitted

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
And they ask me why i'm voting trump

.............who just named Indiana Governor Mike Pence as his running mate AND we all know what has happened in Indiana in regards to vaping/businesses :eek: .....yeah lets put him second in command of the country :facepalm:

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
For online purchases, a consumer is classed an "unclassified importer." The 40% tax is applied to the purchase price not the wholesale price. It is due by the 20th of the month following the purchase with the appropriate forms filed, unless the department states less frequent submission is permitted

Thanks, Verb. I was just in the actual bill trying to copy the pats I wanted to post and that was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread