Updated!! Pennsylvania: 40% tax = game over for vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I just heard a report that ecigarettes are no longer allowed in the Philadelphia venue where the Democrat Convention is being held. They didn't mention that cigarettes are not allowed, only e cigarettes. What the heck is the justification for that?

I believe e cigarettes are banned where ever smoking is banned in Philadelphia. The rest of Pennsylvania is not just Philadelphia.

Reactions: bnrkwest

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
If vapers reaaaaally wanted to mess with PA I'd suggest the following:
* go to an out of state vape store to purchase supplies
* buy ONE 15ml e-liquid purchase on a credit card for the first sale
* buy everything else for cash
* everyone file quarterly (I'm guessing) with PA for the tax on the 15ml bottle of e-liquid, which is going to be what? $3 or so?
* you will basically tie them up with paperwork...and they will not get anything else done

Even better, it's monthly.

:lol:

Reactions: grandmato5

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If vapers reaaaaally wanted to mess with PA I'd suggest the following:
* go to an out of state vape store to purchase supplies
* buy ONE 15ml e-liquid purchase on a credit card for the first sale
* buy everything else for cash
* everyone file quarterly (I'm guessing) with PA for the tax on the 15ml bottle of e-liquid, which is going to be what? $3 or so?
* you will basically tie them up with paperwork...and they will not get anything else done
I really like the way you think! :thumbs:

The only problem with the above idea is that it involves giving them more than a dime. :ohmy:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I really like the way you think! :thumbs:

The only problem with the above idea is that it involves giving them more than a dime. :ohmy:

Then, fill out the paperwork and send in the check for the 40% on an O-ring or a screw. A single screw each month would be great just for the pun.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I believe e cigarettes are banned where ever smoking is banned in Philadelphia. The rest of Pennsylvania is not just Philadelphia.

It's very odd that the reporter would say e cigarettes are banned in the venue and wouldn't also mention analog cigarettes being banned if that is the case. This didn't say vaping was banned, it said e cigarettes are banned. I interpreted that to mean that you can't have an ecig in your pocket or purse when you enter the venue. I totally get a regulation on not vaping or smoking in a large indoor venue, but it sounded like a person would not be admitted if found to have an ecig on their person.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's very odd that the reporter would say e cigarettes are banned in the venue and wouldn't also mention analog cigarettes being banned if that is the case. This didn't say vaping was banned, it said e cigarettes are banned. I interpreted that to mean that you can't have an ecig in your pocket or purse when you enter the venue. I totally get a regulation on not vaping or smoking in a large indoor venue, but it sounded like a person would not be admitted if found to have an ecig on their person.
I would suggest the report was badly worded. Smoking is clearly banned in that venue by the PA Clean Indoor Air Act, but the Commonwealth has not added vaping to that Act. Instead, Philly has their own ordinance that bans vaping in all enclosed workplaces except certain bars. Both laws only address use, not possession.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I just heard a report that ecigarettes are no longer allowed in the Philadelphia venue where the Democrat Convention is being held. They didn't mention that cigarettes are not allowed, only e cigarettes. What the heck is the justification for that?
Didn't you see the new stories where them things can blow up? :lol:
I looked at the convention centers web page and there was no mention of e-cigs, seems they somehow made the Dems security list though, confiscated items will not be returned. Security - 2016 Democratic National Convention

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I would suggest the report was badly worded. Smoking is clearly banned in that venue by the PA Clean Indoor Air Act, but the Commonwealth has not added vaping to that Act. Instead, Philly has their own ordinance that bans vaping in all enclosed workplaces except certain bars. Both laws only address use, not possession.

Good! Your explanation makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: bnrkwest

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I looked at the convention centers web page and there was no mention of e-cigs, seems they somehow made the Dems security list though, confiscated items will not be returned. Security - 2016 Democratic National Convention

OMG!! So the report was right! They are banning e cigs from the venue, not just the use of ecigs in the venue and there is no mention of analog cigs being banned from the venue. That is such a pile of manure!!

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you really want to screw with the system, over pay the tax by a penny. Computers hate that. :D

Another way to really bollix up the system is to accordion-fold the check with 1/8th-1/4 inch wide pleats. Then they can't be read automatically by any check reading machine.

If you make the creases really sharp by rubbing over them with your thumbnail against a hard surface, no one can straighten them out enough. :evil:

You have to straighten them out a bit to mail them, though. But just enough to mail them.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
OMG!! So the report was right! They are banning e cigs from the venue, not just the use of ecigs in the venue and there is no mention of analog cigs being banned from the venue. That is such a pile of manure!!

Cigarettes are already banned, and have been for several years, so no need to mention it again.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
OK, so possession of e-cigs is banned at this event -- apparently by the DNC. But this has nothing to do with PA or Philly law, and I doubt this rule is imposed by the venue itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread