Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
They calculated $13m in annual revenue from the ecig part of the tax.

That is the stated purpose.
Politicians have been known to be disingenuous on occasion. $13 million is a whopping four one hundredths of one percent of the Commonwealth's budget. Put it in some more perspective, it's about 5.5% of my local school district's budget. Anyway, I do not believe that raising $13 million is what they set out to accomplish with this tax.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just for Talking... Say there is 12,000,000 people in Pennsylvania.

And say that 4% of those people use an e-Cigarette Daily. That would be 480,000 Vapers.

And say they Imposed a Tax on e-Cigarettes/e-liquids that came out to be 10 Cents per day.

That would come out to be $48,000 per day in Tax Revenue.

Not accounting for Leap Years, that would be an Annual Tax Revenue of $17,520,000.

Now I hope I accidentally added a Zero Somewhere. Because at a 10 Cent Tax per day, the state of Pennsylvania would Exceed their 13 Million Dollar Guesstimation by 4,520,000 Dollars.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not one thin dime. :mad:

You caught that... Didn't You. LOL.

But the Point wasn't that a 10 Cent Tax per Day is Reasonable. Even though that it would be a Lot Less than even Sales Tax for States that Charge Sales Tax.

The Point was Pennsylvania's Math Doesn't Add up. So it leaves one Thinking that they are just Doing this to Crash the e-Cigarette Market in Pennsylvania. And put a Lot of People Out of Work in the Process.

Not to Mention making it Difficult for Smokers down the Road to Quit.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So it leaves one Thinking that they are just Doing this to Crash the e-Cigarette Market in Pennsylvania

I have not doubt there's a lot of legislators that look upon e-cigs as an something evil that must be stamped out.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have not doubt there's a lot of legislators that look upon e-cigs as an something evil that must be stamped out.

Something is Up.

Because they could Improve Public Heath and even make a Few Bucks doing it if they wouldn't use a Chainsaw to Pick Flowers.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah... And the Truly Sad part is that Evil you mentioned branded to e-Cigarettes didn't come from the Belief that they pose a Significant Risk to Adults such as Smoking. And in Fact, the Direct Opposite is True for Smokers.

Where the Evil lies in Legislators Eyes is in the Threat to Tax Monies and MSA Payments that a State Receives.

So Lets Bomb e-Cigarettes back to the Stone Age. Because Tax Monies and Settlement Payments are MUCH more Important to Most States that Improving the Public Health of those who Smoker.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Yeah... And the Truly Sad part is that Evil you mentioned branded to e-Cigarettes didn't come from the Belief that they pose a Significant Risk to Adults such as Smoking. And in Fact, the Direct Opposite is True for Smokers.

Where the Evil lies in Legislators Eyes is in the Threat to Tax Monies and MSA Payments that a State Receives.

So Lets Bomb e-Cigarettes back to the Stone Age. Because Tax Monies and Settlement Payments are MUCH more Important to Most States that Improving the Public Health of those who Smoker.

To Government Lobbying Financiers - Your Life Does Not Matter!
Finance over Fact.

Reactions: bnrkwest

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Nothing like posting a new Call to Action on ECF after we lost the PA vapor tax battle.

Seems like most vapers don't give a damn about vapor taxes until after they are enacted into law.
Agreed, but at the same time it doesn't really seem the concern of those making the legislative decisions has anything to do with the public's health, the economy, or anything else that actually matters. They know the facts
yet still vote for what's detrimental to the public, it's a corrupted system. Legislation is paid for by the highest bidders.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Nothing like posting a new Call to Action on ECF after we lost the PA vapor tax battle.

Seems like most vapers don't give a damn about vapor taxes until after they are enacted into law.
We need a better way to fight these. We have the scientific high ground, but we know that these taxes aren't about health and safety. They may have been, a long time ago, but that just isn't the case now. As you said in the other thread, they're going to get this money from somewhere. So, since pleading with them to consider the health aspect, or providing them with evidence from scientists and public health advocates, or pointing out that they're killing small business doesn't work. How do we fight this?

CA is expecting a ballot measure in November, and it's anticipated the vapor tax brought on by that could be as high as 70%. The only group currently fighting it is BT, which I support, but doesn't win us any points with the public. So what do you suggest?

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
A question to those well versed in this tax: the state cigarette tax was increased by $1.00/pk. Is a $1/pk floor tax charged on the existing retail store cigarette inventory?

Actually, although there is a floor tax, it's only 25c per pack. Back of napkin math shows if cigarette retailers have stocked up just 2 weeks of inventory before August 1st, they'll save almost 14 million dollars of taxes... more than the entire years expected revenue which will annihilate most PA vape business.

Ruby Wires

Jul 27, 2016

I'd say that most vapers do ultimately care. I believe that it's more about having far too much on the proverbial plate of life, and being unable to keep up with all the news. Perhaps there are feelings in many of us of helplessness or pure anger that abound when we are confronted with such injustice. Sometimes those emotions can keep a person from helping. Could it simply be complacency? Maybe.

To me, this is the point in the e-cig story where we all must do our best to present a good image of vaping. Read, research (new info is always on its way around) know our batts well and don't overwork them, contact our state reps etc...

Also, I don't think that explaining the health benefits to our legislators is going to do dookie. This is about tobacco bonds owed to each state. Presenting a good image will likely only help get the non-vaping public on our side, imo. Which I see at being a need.

Even if these new regs haven't caused change in all of our personal lives, it's only a matter of time. I hope this is the wake up call that some of the more indifferent individuals need to finally pay attention.

I don't see how these taxes could stop completely. It may be an issue of making them more reasonable. IDK. Fight the good fight? Wish I had an actual answer. (not sure about the rest of the worlds struggle at the moment, I realize some of this post is USA specific, sry bout that)

Last edited:

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2016
U.S. Northeast
I'd say that most vapers do ultimately care. I believe that it's more about having far too much on the proverbial plate of life, and being unable to keep up with all the news. Perhaps there are feelings in many of us of helplessness or pure anger that abound when we are confronted with such injustice. Sometimes those emotions can keep a person from helping. Could it simply be complacency? Maybe.

To me, this is the point in the e-cig story where we all must do our best to present a good image of vaping. Read, research (new info is always on its way around) know our batts well and don't overwork them, contact our state reps etc...

Also, I don't think that explaining the health benefits to our legislators is going to do dookie. This is about tobacco bonds owed to each state. Presenting a good image will likely only help get the non-vaping public on our side, imo. Which I see at being a need.

Even if these new regs haven't caused change in all of our personal lives, it's only a matter of time. I hope this is the wake up call that some of the more indifferent individuals need to finally pay attention.

I don't see how these taxes could stop completely. It may be an issue of making them more reasonable. IDK. Fight the good fight? Wish I had an actual answer. (not sure about the rest of the worlds struggle at the moment, I realize some of this post is USA specific, sry bout that)

Sadly, what I see from talking to many people about it is that most vapers won't awaken to reality until they can no longer get what they need. Then they will ask "What happened???". Then they might listen to the explanation of where everything went, or why the taxes on what's left make vaping as expensive as smoking, but it will be too late for them. It's all very sad. But I don't blame them for not waking up. If I hadn't found this forum a few years ago, and then returned trying to find out why my local vape shop has run out of everything that I need, then I would be clueless as well.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa

I think MOST vapers are unaware because they don't participate in forums. There's not a lot of NEWS about vaping, except for the occasional opinion piece here and there and the junk science stories. Those of us who DO care are doing all we can in this fight, Bill. I hope you realize that. There's just not enough of us, imo. And I'm one of the PA folks who fought like hell to prevent this.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think MOST vapers are unaware because they don't participate in forums. ...

So what Role should B&M and Online Retailers be playing in this?

A Forum like this Isn't going to reach many Vapers. But B&M's and Online Retailer can Reach just about All Vaper's.

What did their Involvement Look Like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread