Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm really not understanding why we can't get product shipped here?? What is a vendor's responsibility here?
It might just be the vendors choice. Most already seem so overwhelmed with the deeming that I am sure it is just to avoid any possibility of more problems.

Reactions: Jugband

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm really not understanding why we can't get product shipped here?? What is a vendor's responsibility here?
Admittedly, it's been a while since I read the relevant sections of the bill, but my recollection is that an out-of-state vendor has no responsibility; it's all on the PA-resident buyer to declare his purchases and pay the tax, really not much different than if he "imported" any other taxable product from out-of-state.

balance

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Admittedly, it's been a while since I read the relevant sections of the bill, but my recollection is that an out-of-state vendor has no responsibility; it's all on the PA-resident buyer to declare his purchases and pay the tax, really not much different than if he "imported" any other taxable product from out-of-state.

That's my understanding, too, but I can understand vendors who are concerned that somehow they might end up footing the delightful 40% bill.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I thought the vendors needed a special pa license to sell to pa residents?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

An OTP Licensed PA retailer may only purchase from a licensed distributor. Unclassified importers (consumers purchasing from out-of-state) may purchase from anyone; since, they pay the tax on the retail price plus shipping and the retailer only pays tax on the wholesale price.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Ty. Maybe we should start a thread with a list of vendors that will.

:rolleyes:

That's a great idea!

No, it isn't.

I dont' know that much about PA but the laws in AR do not permit online sales / non face to face shipping of eliquids to individuals.

Publishing such a list of vendors, who are either unaware, or want to avoid taxes, licensing, or anything else, is a sure fire way to just announce who is breaking the laws of their state.

IF you want to do that as individuals, that is fine.(break laws).

To name companies, w/out their express permission, is absolute insanity.

:eek:

I might add that, out of respect for vendors in this industry, I did not put them in the position of (illegally) shipping (eliquid) to me......I just didn't order. they have a lot more to lose. It is good to think of others once in a while while you're panicking.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

When I had that question about Arkansas, I contacted the attorney for the ATC here......was more than happy to explain it all to me, considered it part of his job to help people understand compliance, regs, policies, etc.

I suggest you contact the person in your state with the same job. It IS their job after all.

Some of stuff you get on internet is not entirely.......um.........reliable. That is why I did what I did.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I dont' know that much about PA but the laws in AR do not permit online sales / non face to face shipping of eliquids to individuals.
I can't find anything in PA law that prohibits an individual from "importing" vapor product into the state, or an out-of-state vendor from selling same to a PA resident, provided the PA resident reports the purchase and pays the tax.

When I had that question about Arkansas, I contacted the attorney for the ATC here......was more than happy to explain it all to me, considered it part of his job to help people understand compliance, regs, policies, etc.
I'm curious: Did he also explain what means Arkansas has to enforce its laws against out-of-state vendors?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Are you a Bookkeeper's Son by any chance?
Nope, nor did I ever cross my old man.

I'm just a surly old curmudgeon who doesn't want to shoot no one, and I'm not saying how much dynamite I may or may not have. ;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Nope, nor did I ever cross my old man.

I'm just a surly old curmudgeon who doesn't want to shoot no one, and I'm not saying how much dynamite I may or may not have. ;)

I Don't know why, but Every Time I think of the FDA's Deeming, or one of these Crazy State Laws, I think of the Name of that Steely Dan album.

And I Don't think it is because of the Outstanding guitar work that Larry Carlton did on it.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I just talked on the phone with PA dept of Revenue. Home

I used the Misc. Tax phone number. Beware, you need to enter your social to talk to a human. They were very helpful, though most every question I asked required holding and getting the assistance of the supervisor. She did a better job of hiding her smugness than I did at hiding my condescension, but I tried really hard.

1) Items that have multiple uses when purchased from a retail store that is not a "Vape Shop" are NOT taxed. Screws, O-rings, wick, wire, loose batteries, VG, ect. are only taxed if sold at a "Vape Shop." To quote the agent, "if it can be used as something else and it's not purchased at a vape shop, it is NOT covered."

2) Consumer to consumer sale of used durable equipment is PERMITTED.

3) My last question, which I thought would be the easiest, hadn't been asked before. When would the form for "Unclassified Importers" be available since the tax is active 10/01 and the first payment is due 11/20? I expressed knowing what information is required for the form would need to be known by 10/1 so I know what specific information about a purchase to save. She came back from placing me on hold and said something along the lines of, well, it shouldn't matter since you shouldn't be ordering from an unlicensed retailer. I was bit thrown. I replied with something like, I read the statute over several times and there is absolutely no indication of that requirement. There was a bit of fumbling on both ends of line, hum, ahh, but, ennnh, well, mmmm. My ability to remain pleasant had waned and figured I'd save further inquiry for another call. She threw out a "maybe mid-October" for when the form would be available. I thank her for her time and for the help.

Questions for a future call:
1) What are the restrictions on and what actions are permitted by "unclassified importers"?

2) When ordering from out-of-state, how would I know if a shop is a vape shop or not? Note: when asking about parts and materials, I asked what if I purchase VG from Amazon? That was not covered.

3) Liquid nicotine is typically sold by retailers that are not vape shops, the material they sell can not be used in a vaporizer as is, and has other uses. If liquid nicotine, in unvapable concentrations, is purchased from an out-of-state retailer, that is not a vape shop, is that purchase covered?

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I was reading the bill again and there is a bit of a catch 22 in regards to filing a purchase as an unclassified importer. When filing the month following a purchase, you are exposed to a summary offense ($100 to $1000 fine plus costs) for possession of a tobacco product where the tax has not been paid. The only way to be in the clear: submit the tax after making an out-of-state purchase, but before receiving the shipment.

Reactions: bnrkwest
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread