(Updated) Washington Call to Action: Gov. Inslee's Budget keeps threats to vaping alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
CASAA: Washington Call to Action: Multiple bills threaten access to and variety of vapor products

(Update - 02/23/15)

Washington Vapers may be receiving emails from their state lawmakers informing them that HB 1645 & SB 5573 are “dead.” This is not entirely accurate. In Washington, if a bill is deemed necessary to implement the budget (NTIB), it can be brought back to life -- even in the final days of budget negotiations. In other words, bills that would enact vapor taxes, flavor bans, sampling bans, etc. are all still ALIVE because if such provisions in Governor Inslee’s budget are adopted, they will need laws to support them.

To compound the threats in Washington, bills are allowed to be introduced up until the legislative session adjourns. This means that we could still see new vapor-related bills introduced up until late-April / early-May.

As the Washington Legislature considers how it will fund the state’s 2016 budget, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee is continuing his push for excessive taxes and harmful bans. Gov. Inslee is asking that the Legislature’s budget do the following:

• apply a 95% sales tax on all vapor product devices, components, and liquids;
  • ban all online sales to WA residents;
  • ban all flavors other than tobacco, mint, wintergreen, and menthol;
  • ban sampling in all vape shops

Please take action NOW to protect vaping from these harmful proposals. With an issue as important as this, we are asking vapers not to only send an email, but make phone calls to your State Senator and two State Representatives, asking that they oppose the Governor’s 95% tax on vapor products and related proposals. Briefly tell your story about how vapor products have impacted your life or the life of a loved one. Remember: Always be respectful and make sure you leave your address so the legislators know you are calling from their district.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Washington House Commerce and Gaming Cmte holds hearing on bill (HB 1645) that would protect cigarettes by taxing vapor products at 95%, banning sales of flavored vapor products, banning shipment and possession of vapor products sold on Internet and mail order, licensing of vapor product vendors. Public health and vaping advocates testify against bill; e-cig opponents mislead and scare legislators about lifesaving e-cigs (including former CDC OSH Director Tim McAfee falsely claiming that switching from cigarette smoking to primarily vaping e-cigs “is disasterous for their health”).
http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwplayer&eventID=2015030136#start=1309&stop=8170 (hearing is about two hours long)
State's e-cig rules could become toughest in U.S.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Inslee got schooled by hundreds of vapers on reddit about the atrocity he's trying to commit against the cure for smoking
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2zmb9w/im_washington_governor_jay_inslee_my_staff_is/

Scroll thru the thread and see how vaping advocates flooded the AMA with personal stories of success and overwhelming science demonstrating ecigs are harmless & effective. What an epic takedown of vacuous greed and malicious dogmatism! I'm proud to be a WA vaper.

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2015/03/washington-governor-and-legislature.html

Dr. Siegel stated in his blog:

"(4) require the name and address of every purchaser of e-cigarettes to be recorded and saved for five years."

and

"Why should the name of every e-cigarette purchaser need to be recorded, while anyone can just walk up to a counter at the local convenience store and purchase a pack of cigarettes without giving out their name or address?"

That boggled my mind, so I went to the bill itself, to see what that was about.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1645.pdf

On page 25 of Washington State's House Bill 1645...

1 NEW SECTION. Sec. 207. (1) Every distributor must keep at each
2 place of business complete and accurate records for that place of
3 business, including itemized invoices, of vapor products held,
4 purchased, manufactured, brought in or caused to be brought in from
5 without the state, or shipped or transported to retailers in this
6 state, and of all sales of vapor products made.
7 (2) These records must show the names and addresses of
8 purchasers, the inventory of all vapor products, and other pertinent
9 papers and documents relating to the purchase, sale, or disposition
10 of vapor products. All invoices and other records required by this
11 section to be kept must be preserved for a period of five years from
12 the date of the invoices or other documents or the date of the
entries appearing in the records.
(bold emphasis mine)

"These records must show the names and addresses of purchasers," --

I would think that means the names of people purchasing inventory for the store. The owner or employee(s) who sign a purchase order for e-cigarettes to stock in the store's inventory.

Surely it can't mean names and addresses of customers walking in to purchase individual e-cigarettes?

At any rate, the entire bill is a mess.

As Seigel correctly said:

"This bill is going to do very little good, but a lot of harm."

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon

Done. I lived in Seattle from the time I was born until I was 19 (so most of my life). While I may reside in Oregon now I have always considered at some point moving back. I made sure to note they will never see a dime from me in that state and I am ashamed of how the once great state I used to call home is ignoring It's constituents for the almighty dollar.

Lunarautumn

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
New Hampshire USA
I was just reading over Washington State's HB 1645 - 2015-16 which The House Committee on Commerce & Gaming will be holding an executive session for HB 1645, regarding vapor products, on MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM.

IT REALLY AMAZES ME THAT THEY CAN SIT THERE AND STATE :

Concerning youth substance use prevention associated with tobacco and drug delivery e-cigarettes and vapor products.
There is no scientific evidence that vapor products are an
effective long-term smoking cessation aid. People who use vapor
products often continue to use combustible tobacco products. In
addition, e-cigarettes may renormalize smoking behavior and serve as
a reinitiation to smoking by former smokers.

BUT THEY KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT:

Vapor products have some of the same negative health
impacts on developing fetuses and infants as combustible tobacco
products, including preterm delivery, stillbirth, problems feeding,
delayed physical and mental development, impaired learning, and
p. 2 HB 1645
1 memory loss. During adolescence, exposure to nicotine may have
lasting consequences for brain development

This is ridiculous !! I'm sorry but I never asked for them to worry about myself or my families health that is MY job and I do not want their help ! We live under the false assumption that we all live in a free country, when our rights are being ripped away from us left and right under the BS story that it's being done to protect us ! Since when did the American public become so stupid that we can not care for ourselves and we need these monkeys in suites to do it for us? When are people going to come to their senses and say ENOUGH !

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I was just reading over Washington State's HB 1645 - 2015-16 which The House Committee on Commerce & Gaming will be holding an executive session for HB 1645, regarding vapor products, on MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM.

IT REALLY AMAZES ME THAT THEY CAN SIT THERE AND STATE :

Concerning youth substance use prevention associated with tobacco and drug delivery e-cigarettes and vapor products.
There is no scientific evidence that vapor products are an
effective long-term smoking cessation aid. People who use vapor
products often continue to use combustible tobacco products. In
addition, e-cigarettes may renormalize smoking behavior and serve as
a reinitiation to smoking by former smokers.

BUT THEY KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT:

Vapor products have some of the same negative health
impacts on developing fetuses and infants as combustible tobacco
products, including preterm delivery, stillbirth, problems feeding,
delayed physical and mental development, impaired learning, and
p. 2 HB 1645
1 memory loss. During adolescence, exposure to nicotine may have
lasting consequences for brain development

This is ridiculous !! I'm sorry but I never asked for them to worry about myself or my families health that is MY job and I do not want their help ! We live under the false assumption that we all live in a free country, when our rights are being ripped away from us left and right under the BS story that it's being done to protect us ! Since when did the American public become so stupid that we can not care for ourselves and we need these monkeys in suites to do it for us? When are people going to come to their senses and say ENOUGH !

Thanks for posting this. The polyticks have been very quiet about this. I hadn't heard anything about a scheduled executive meeting.

It looks like a substitute bill surfaced that eliminates many of the atrocious provisions in the original HB 1645 bill, including confiscatory tax, flavors ban, and online sale prohibitions
https://app.leg.wa.gov/CMD/agenda.aspx?mid=22274

However I can't tell from these materials whether it's been adopted, or even what the status of the bill actually is: the main bill page only says "executive action taken"
HB 1645 - 2015-16

ETA: Video of committee hearing now available
http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwplayer&eventID=2015031144
It appears the substitute bill was passed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread