US Navy bans vaping, e-cigs on ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I don't blame the Navy
A lot of the blame for this goes to the industry and the community for not pointing out that unprotected devices are the issue, not ecigs as a whole. The Navy could solve the problem by banning mechs instead of all types of ecigs.

Last edited:

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
This is knee jerk. Venting batteries is normally a sign of under educated vapers trying to do things they shouldn't to be impressive to someone else

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Navy Tells Sailors To Leave The E-Cigarette On Shore
"As the Navy has noted, the dangers of exploding batteries can be mitigated by properly stowing the devices, using the correct charger, buying equipment from a reputable manufacturer and not modifying it."

Reactions: Str8vision

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
I feel bad for the sailors, I agree that a ban on unregulated mods would be safe yet effective move, unfortunately the brass most likely cannot differentiate between one type of vape device and another. Safety is Paramount aboard a ship or sub and any combustion,or the potential for combustion is contrary to safe practices....Its a shame as it's tough being out at Sea without a vice , hell,it's tough being confined for long periods even with certain vices

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A lot of the blame for this goes to the industry and the community for not pointing out that unprotected devices are the issue, not ecigs as a whole. The Navy could solve the problem by banning mechs instead of all types of ecigs.
Right, because mech users are the only vapers dumb enough to carry loose spare batteries in their pockets, and no regulated mod has ever gone kaboom, right? o_O

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Safety is Paramount aboard a ship or sub and any combustion,or the potential for combustion is contrary to safe practices..
Safety is not what this is really about.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Right, because mech users are the only vapers dumb enough to carry loose spare batteries in their pockets, and no regulated mod has ever gone kaboom, right? o_O
Apparently vape gear is banned pending further review. If I was in on that conversation I'd suggest most of the risk would go away by banning unprotected devices. If that wasn't sufficient I'd propose banning devices with replacable batteries. If they wanted yet more comfort they could examine specific devices and allow only specific approved devices. If I was a sailor wanting to vape I'd accept any of the above to avoid an outright ban. When I get the chance to post comments on ecig injury news stories my advice is almost all the injuries involve mechs or loose batteries with unprotected terminals. It's counter productive for the community and industry conceal the risk factors. This situation with the Navy illustrates the cost of that.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Vape stations would be the solution that eliminates risk and enables sailors to get their fix. Connect your 510 atty, dial in your voltage and vape away. Dirt cheap, no 'plosions, kept in designated areas. The needed parts are probably sitting around.

The switch really needed to happen before the ban hammer. Now, getting authority to even consider the question is pretty much insurmountable.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Safety is not what this is really about.

No, safety is not what this is about. My son is based in Quantico and yesterday there was a safety meeting where all the guys, and girls, were told that vaping is worse than smoking, even second hand vape. There's more to this than safety concerns for sure.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
All the military branches treat vaping the same as smoking, prohibiting it except in designated smoking areas. The Air Force has gone a step further and banned it virtually from all installations except in designated tobacco areas. This means if you're caught walking down the sidewalk and you're vaping, you are breaking the regulation and can be nailed for it.

Reactions: AstroTurf

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Actually, if your vape blows up seems like you're not qualified to handle guns either.
When they start training servicemen how to use vape gear as much as they train them to use and maintain their weapons, then we can talk about making that comparison. And yes, training is needed for people using advanced vape gear, because nobody is born with the knowledge.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
http://www.public.navy.mil/NAVSAFECEN/Documents/messages/ALSAFEs_prior/ALSAFE16-010.txt
"SUMMARY OF THE MISHAPS:
A. EIGHT OF THESE INCIDENTS OCCURRED ONBOARD NAVAL VESSELS/AIRCRAFT. AT LEAST TWO OF THE SHIPBOARD INCIDENTS REQUIRED USE OF SHIPBOARD FIREFIGHTING EQUIPMENT TO EXTINGUISH THE FIRE. ONE INSTANCE REQUIRED A NAVAL AIRCRAFT TO RETURN TO BASE DUE TO E-CIG BATTERIES CREATING SMOKE IN THE CARGO SECTION OF THE AIRCRAFT."

So the Navy's report cited 7 e-cig battery incidents that did Not occur on ships or planes to justify its new vapor possession ban on ships and airlines (but that still allows smoking on designated outdoor areas of ships).

If the US military had consistent safety policies, they would have banned all military personnel from carrying or possessing all guns or other weapons from all ships and planes more than a century ago (as many dozens of guns and other weapons have been accidentally or otherwise discharged on military ships and planes).

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
http://www.public.navy.mil/NAVSAFECEN/Documents/messages/ALSAFEs_prior/ALSAFE16-010.txt
"C. TEN OF 15 REPORTED INCIDENTS OCCURRED DUE TO IMPROPER STOWAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ENDS BATTERIES IN SERVICE MEMBER'S CLOTHING (POCKETS). INADVERTENT SHORTING OR DISCHARGE WHILE STOWED IN POCKETS TYPICALLY RESULTED IN THE IGNITION OF THE SERVICE MEMBER'S CLOTHING AND 1ST AND 2ND DEGREE BURNS ON THE LEGS AND TORSO."

And despite the following propaganda statement
"NOTE THAT THE CIVILIAN STUDIES INVOLVED FAILURES THAT RESULTED IN OPEN PRESS REPORTING (INJURIES WERE VERY SEVERE AND DREW PRESS ATTENTION)."
the Navy explained how battery incidents can be prevented.

"A. STOW YOUR BATTERIES IN A MANNER WHERE SHORTING THE BATTERIES IS IMPROBABLE. SILICONE/PLASTIC STORAGE CASES ARE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE TO MORE SAFELY STORE THESE BATTERIES. DO NOT STORE IN POCKETS WHERE THEY MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH METAL OBJECTS
(TOOLS, COINS, KEYS, ETC.). DO NOT STORE IN YOUR LOCKER, BUNK, OR AUTOMOBILE WHERE SHORTING MAY BE POSSIBLE (UNRESTRAINED OR IN THE VICINITY OF METAL THAT COULD SHORT THE BATTERIES).

B. USE ONLY THE ORIGINAL CHARGER THAT WAS SUPPLIED WITH THE DEVICE. NOT ALL USB CHARGERS ARE CREATED EQUAL. FOR INSTANCE, USB OUTLETS VARY FROM 5-20V AND FROM 150MA-5A. CIVILIAN STUDIES REPORT OVERHEATING AND OVERCHARGING ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAJORITY OF ENDS BATTERY FAILURES. NOTE THAT THE CIVILIAN
STUDIES INVOLVED FAILURES THAT RESULTED IN OPEN PRESS REPORTING (INJURIES WERE VERY SEVERE AND DREW PRESS ATTENTION). WHEN CHARGING TAKE PRECAUTIONS TO ENSURE THE DEVICE IS WHERE IT CAN
BE MONITORED (MANNED SPACE) AND THERE ARE NO COMBUSTIBLES IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY (I.E. BUNKS/RAGS/CLOTHING).

C. BUY QUALITY EQUIPMENT FROM A REPUTABLE MANUFACTURER. MORE EXPENSIVE MODELS ARE DESIGNED WITH ENGINEERED SAFETY DEVICES
THAT MONITOR THE EQUIPMENT TO PREVENT OVERCHARGING AND OVERHEATING.

D. ALTHOUGH THERE IS PLENTY OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET TO MODIFY THESE DEVICES THIS PRACTICE SHOULD BE AVOIDED. SEVERAL MODIFICATIONS INVALIDATE/BYPASS SAFETY
MECHANISMS MANUFACTURED INTO THESE DEVICES."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread