USB Port Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
Hey all, really enjoying vaping, and I have an important question about two mods. One is an Asmodus Ohmsmium 80W and the other is a joyetech eVic VTwo Mini, and they both take only one battery and both have USB ports for charging. I am interested in using these ports, especially with the Asmodus Ohmsmium (GX-80-f chip), since it's very inconvenient to be constantly screwing and unscrewing the threaded battery lid. Do these mods automatically stop charging the battery when the charge is complete? I'm pretty sure the joyetech does from some info I found about its safety features, but I can't find any info on the Asmodus in regard to this. If there is an automatic cutoff when complete, I would feel better about doing an overnight charge. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Charging in the mod is fine, but charging in a dedicated charger is better.
Charging either unattended or especially overnight is not a good idea in my opinion, and that stands for ANY lithium ion battery in a cell phone, laptop etc. The chances of something going wrong are very small, but if they do I would want to be awake for it. This is just my opinion, everyone is free to choose what they believe to be safe.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hey all, really enjoying vaping, and I have an important question about two mods. One is an Asmodus Ohmsmium 80W and the other is a Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini, and they both take only one battery and both have USB ports for charging. I am interested in using these ports, especially with the Asmodus Ohmsmium (GX-80-f chip), since it's very inconvenient to be constantly screwing and unscrewing the threaded battery lid. Do these mods automatically stop charging the battery when the charge is complete? I'm pretty sure the Joyetech does from some info I found about its safety features, but I can't find any info on the Asmodus in regard to this. If there is an automatic cutoff when complete, I would feel better about doing an overnight charge. Thanks in advance for your help. :)
All my mods have onboard charging and that's how I charge most of the time. The downside I see to onboard charging comes as these batteries age. There comes a time when they need too be retired for safety. I believe that time can be determined when the max voltage the battery will charge to falls to a certain point (something I'm just starting to look into). For that you would want to check the battery with a multimeter or have a charger that can tell you the resting voltage of the battery. I believe the issue is more important for mech mod users who are pushing their batteries past the amp rating but still the condition of removable batteries should be checked occiasionally. I don't know how these issues are addressed with batteries built into mods. My batteries all operate below their amp rating and are reletively new. Again this is something I'm just learning about so others here might know more.

Reactions: r77r7r

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i only charge mine via the usb when i'm driving(some days i'm 5 hours of driving), otherwise i charge my batteries via charger... and it can be damaging to the usb port to use it that way. my one mod(oldest), will be a home mod only soon, even though i try and protect it in the cupholder it is already getting loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread