Used but not worn out coils can I use them still

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
From somebody that uses several flavors daily, the best option is having a few different tanks (I have 3 Atlantis tanks in my daily rotation as well as others). If cost does not allow that, I used to empty any remaining juice and fill with the new flavor. It takes a few draws for the old to clear out and the new to take over and best not to have a major difference in the juices. For the used coils you currently have, some say to soak them in grain alcohol (try to double check that since it has been a while). Something else I tried before getting more tanks was getting some small zip bags, labeling them with the flavor used, and rotating the coils that way. But that can be a pain keeping track of just how old each coil is. Dry burning and re-wicking would be at the bottom of my choices.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
you can also soak the used ones in vodka or everclear. that whould clean them up pretty well. Just make sure to let them dry overnight before firing one up. when i used factory coils heads that is what I did to extend their life. Granted if you happen to scorch the cotton, then nothing short of a rebuild will bring them back.

David82

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2016
Eilat, Israel
you can also soak the used ones in vodka or everclear. that whould clean them up pretty well. Just make sure to let them dry overnight before firing one up. when i used factory coils heads that is what I did to extend their life. .

saw some clip on Youtube where coils are being washed - without the wick - under a running water, after this just fired up to clean them and back again soaking them with water and firing them untill they will be dry and less black than before....
does somebody does it- and is it useful?....

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
saw some clip on Youtube where coils are being washed - without the wick - under a running water, after this just fired up to clean them and back again soaking them with water and firing them untill they will be dry and less black than before....

I use an Eleaf GS Air tank, and the coils are unrewickable, so I ended up with a pile of used coils. For an experiment I decided to try boiling them in a saucepan of water for 10-15 minutes. The result was coils that I thought were useless have turned out to have lots of life still left in them. Seems to work better for kanthal rather than TC nickel coils though. Worth trying as a last resort.

Reactions: David82

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Sixbit
I rinse my coils, even my own builds, all the time. Normally just rinsing for a few seconds under a running tap is sufficient to cleanse most of the juice flavor out. Then just leave them to dry and reuse. If you are impatient and can't wait for them to dry you can still prime them even wet, just expect the first few vapes to be a bit steamy but that dosen't last long at all. If I really need them dry quickly then give them an ISO bath and put them aside to dry. A computer fan will have them dry in 3 or so minutes and your nose will tell you when they've dried.

Given that your coils dried with juice on them then I'd let them soak for 30 or more minutes then rinse and use.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I used to do that with drippers a few years ago. While there is an improvement, not close to a new build..

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
That works great, as long as you can pull the wicking out. hte OP is talking about Atlantis coils, so Im assuming he means the factory coil heads where you cant just pull the wick out and fire the coils.

But yea, with my RBTAs and Drippers when I want to clean a gunked coil I pull the wick, fire it up to red hot a couple times and dip under running water a few times. all the crud comes right off. occasionally I may need to gently brush it with a tooth brush, but most times they are good with just a few pulse's and running water. Just dont fire it while its under the water!!!!!

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Hi Sixbit
I rinse my coils, even my own builds, all the time. Normally just rinsing for a few seconds under a running tap is sufficient to cleanse most of the juice flavor out. Then just leave them to dry and reuse. If you are impatient and can't wait for them to dry you can still prime them even wet, just expect the first few vapes to be a bit steamy but that dosen't last long at all. If I really need them dry quickly then give them an ISO bath and put them aside to dry. A computer fan will have them dry in 3 or so minutes and your nose will tell you when they've dried.

Given that your coils dried with juice on them then I'd let them soak for 30 or more minutes then rinse and use.

vodka/everclear is safer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread