using a 1/8 drill bit with 28g kanthal wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fussellini70713

Mar 28, 2015
Napa, CA
Someone please help me...I wud like to use 1/8 bit for build nd I have 28g kanthal..I was just now fooling around with tht nd it's easy to wick,which I like..1/16 is way to hard for me,nd so is the little screw driver tht came with subtank mini...I've literally searched so much I'm about to give up trying and don't know what else to do but ask you all...so plz help,as I don't rly want to give up n use the lame pre built coils bcuz they just don't feel right....I'm trying for a .7 or .8 ohm target...tht seems to b my sweet spot....

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
You could plug those numbers into Steam Engine to get it started.

Dunno if you're gonna get a decent coil at your target resistance with 28g and that big a diameter - that would probably only be a <3 wraps. You don't have to go 1/16", but maybe 3/32" or thicker wire would get you an extra wrap or two to get to your target resistance. Or try what you have with 4 wraps and see where it ends up (you have an ohm meter, right?) - try it out, maybe it'll surprise you.

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
you could even twist two lengths of 28g or even three and use that like you would thicker gauge, atleast it would hold its shape better while your inserting your wick. Tight wraps on the coils will be easier to wick than spaced but overall there isnt a lot of dif, the spaced will give you more wick coverage and the tight wraps more intense hotter shorter hits.

im presuming your .7-.8Ω sweet spot is with your pre-made smaller id coils?

if they are 1/16id and you then start to use 1/8th you will find that you will have to go hotter to reach your sweet spot, so you may have to lower the ohms :)

EDIT:

oh and then a hotter build will mean you will need more air open on your atty and maybe less nic in your juice or you may find the throat hit is to much.

not enough air will give you heat and to much nic will burn your throat LOL hope this helps :)

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Hard to hit 0.7-0.8 with a single coil using 28g. I would advise either more wraps and a higher resistance, or try 25 or 26g wire instead. A 3 wrap coil really isn't going to vape well. If you're using a regulated mod, you can get a nice, flavorful vape with a coil in the 1-1.4 ohm range. Even on a mech I've gotten some really nice vapes in that range, depending on the atty.

Fussellini70713

Mar 28, 2015
Napa, CA
I don't use the pre built coils..They dnt feel right to me...I've got a few .7 or .8 with my 28g by chance n they feel great to me...just had guy at my local shop built several for me he says Will b close to .8 ....have not used the 1.2 pre built tht came with my subtank mini but I dint rly want tht high..I'm not a cloud chaser so real low doesn't matter to me

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
0.7-0.8 ohms with 28 gauge kanthal around a 1/8" drill bit is 4 wraps. I used to use that before I got all dual coil RDA's. I think the best way to do it is wrap it so the wraps are nearly touching, mount the coil, position it, then use a thin screw driver to add a little space between the coils. There aren't enough wraps to do a proper contact coil. Wick it up and vape, should work fine.

If you are talking about dual coils, do the same thing with about 6 wraps. It will be a little lower than your range but it also should work fine.

Good luck!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Someone please help me...I wud like to use 1/8 bit for build nd I have 28g kanthal..I was just now fooling around with tht nd it's easy to wick,which I like..1/16 is way to hard for me,nd so is the little screw driver tht came with subtank mini...I've literally searched so much I'm about to give up trying and don't know what else to do but ask you all...so plz help,as I don't rly want to give up n use the lame pre built coils bcuz they just don't feel right....I'm trying for a .7 or .8 ohm target...tht seems to b my sweet spot....

I don't see a question.

My coils are all about 3mm which is about 1/8 inch.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
I do 4/5 wraps with 28g K with 1/8 in dia and i hit 1.0 ohm.I have tried parrell coils with 28 ga and the ohms were to low for me,i think it was .30 ohms at 5 wraps.For me the best way to get .70 to .80 ohms with 28 ga is twisted wire with 8 wraps.I dont have any lower ga wire.I do the twisted wire in my RDA with .70 ohms and in my KF4 i just do the spaced 1.0 ohm wrap.I just dont like going below .50 ohms,tastes it too hot and messed up for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread