Using the m401 atty on a 510 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
I don't know about this central hole business. I've been using the 401 for a while now and ALWAYS dip. Manual or auto - I've never had a problem and never lost a battery or atty. The way I do it is fill a 5ml bottle with juice (no dropper), just dunk the atty into the bottle (the bottle neck is just wide enough to fit), invert (you see a couple of air bubbles as the atty tops up), remove, replace empty filter cap and vape away. You get a good cigarette's worth of awesome, consistent, 401 goodness per dunk.

Filling up this way leaves you free to cut off over quarter of an inch from the empty filter caps (to regular cigarette filter length). This shortens the 401 (2,3) nicely and further increases the pleasure of 401 vaping.

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
I've been doing that for quite awhile. I have an old (over a year and still going strong!) Kanger KR808-TWO batt that is pretty much just like a 501. Except the threads, which I've not been able to find an adapter to nor cartomizers to fit in 10 months. I sacrificed one of the 3 I had and built my own adapter to m4xxx.

Anyhow, I've measured the output of the batt at 3.4V. Typically, m-series batts output 2.7-2.8V. The attys are usually around 2.5-2.7 ohms. this gives you roughly 1 amp current thru the atty. At the higher voltage, the current is higher by around 33% or a bit more. Hence a better drag when you "noke" (means "not smoking") with the hotter batt.

The problem I noticed with doing this was that I went thru a LOT more attys when I used the Kanger battery. Makes sense as the nichrome coil in the m4xxx atty is having to carry more than its rated current and burns out sooner. I *have* found a bit of a workaround, though. Not all m4x attys are in the 2.5-2.7 ohm range. Occasionally, you get one that doesn't noke as well, usually due to it being a somewhat higher resistance - typically 3.2-3.5 ohms. I separate these out to use on the higher voltage batt and have no problems as long as I don't get them mixed up.

C-ya,
Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread