USP Glycerine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I believe as long it is food grade, but what the hell do I know!! Hope someone else will reply!!
I have some glycerol here that is used by body builders/weight lifters(in protein shakes), which can be ingested, so thats what I would use. You can check GNC/Health type stores.

see that's the thing it stated skin protectant, and things like do not get in your eyes, and if you OD your screwed etc Glycerine And"something"...but also said USP and was over by the healthcare products like shampoo and skin products..

Last edited:

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I use the Walmart brand after switching from 2 types of "Cake shop" brands.

I have read that they are all OEM'd (meaning that one company makes it, and sells it as their own store brand).

Mine is 177ml, but WalMart is cheaper by at least a dollar each.

In that same thread (on this same 4um) it is also stated that they are all VG, not the other. He worked in the industry or something. I searched and couldn't find it again.

Seaking

Nov 1, 2009
Me and some friends smoke a hookah from time to time and I make my own shisha :] We use Humco usp glycerin from walmart in the mix and it's GREAT. Produces ALOT of vapor, hilarious thing is that it makes your voice sound REALLY DEEP and slow if you talk while exhaling, pretty entertaining when one of your friends is convinced he's hallucinating it XD not as extreme as sulfur hexaflouride that would be amazing XD When i start making home made e-liquid ill be using it in my vapor king ;D

Oh, and how goes it everyone i'm Seaking i'll just be trillin in your forum a bit ;]

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
They should make this a sticky because the newbies always ask this question. I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTCglycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol also sometimes referred to as Glycerol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.

Reactions: Racehorse

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Markarich159, Thank you SOOOO much for that clarification! I've been looking all over to know the answer to that. I've traveled sort of far to get 2 oz bottles at Hobby Lobby, and yet I've got a Walmart 2 minutes from my house.

So....thanks again, you've saved me time and money, not to mention answered my question as to whether this skin-care Glycerin is okay....the same as Vegetable Glycerine, and eased my mind over buying it. :D

crouton976

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
FYI, I have been using the same glycerin from CVS for about a month now, with no problems. I too was worried about it at first, but was told by a couple of others here that it is just fine. Just make sure to thin it with distilled water before adding it to your juice, or it will be WAY too thick. I personally used a 1:6 ratio of water to glycerin, and have had no problems at all...

$5 for a bottle that size is great, and especially since it's readily available and accessible.

katiemarie71730

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
Arkansas
My order from absolutelyecigs:

2 x Blank M702 & M401/2/3 Cartridges (Pack of 10's)
- Cartridge Color: Brown $8.00

1 x Killer E-Liquid Mega Sale - Never seen before prices!!
- Free Liquid Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- Free Liquid Option 3: Marlboro Classic
- Free Liquid Option 2: Marlboro Classic
- Free Liquid Option 1: Marlboro Classic
- E-Liquid Pack No.2 Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- E-Liquid Pack No.2 (5 x 20ml): Marlboro Classic
- E-Liquid Pack No.1 Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- E-Liquid Pack No.1 (5 x 20ml): Marlboro Classic $66.00

1 x Battery - M702 $12.00

1 x *NEW* Starter Kit- M-702 - White with Orange LED $40.99

1 x Atomiser - M702 $8.00

Sub-Total: $134.99
Air Freight - Flat Rate (EMS China/ HK Post): $15.00
Total: $149.99

I went to walmart and got a 117 ml bottle of USP glycering to cut the e-liquid with. If I wanted say to cut it down to 18 mg how much glycering do i need to mix with it (5x20 ml = 100 ml) ???

crouton976

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
1 x Killer E-Liquid Mega Sale - Never seen before prices!!
- Free Liquid Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- Free Liquid Option 3: Marlboro Classic
- Free Liquid Option 2: Marlboro Classic
- Free Liquid Option 1: Marlboro Classic
- E-Liquid Pack No.2 Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- E-Liquid Pack No.2 (5 x 20ml): Marlboro Classic
- E-Liquid Pack No.1 Strength: Extra High - 36mg
- E-Liquid Pack No.1 (5 x 20ml): Marlboro Classic $66.00

I went to walmart and got a 117 ml bottle of USP glycering to cut the e-liquid with. If I wanted say to cut it down to 18 mg how much glycering do i need to mix with it (5x20 ml = 100 ml) ???

First, mix a bit of distilled water into your glycerin (I personally use a 1:6 water to glycerin ratio). Next, you would need to mix the glycerin/water mix into your liquid.

the ratio breaks down like this: 36mg base:glycerin water mix e.g.

1:1 mix = 18mg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread