Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
Like I said, a lot can happen in 5 years... Can't believe you think it's better that we accept a ban on e-cigarettes (or hookahs) now instead of accepting a five year reprieve. Once it's banned, it isn't ever going to be "un-banned."

In five years they're either going to forget about it, or there will be more evidence (good or bad) as to the safety and efficacy of e-cigs.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Like I said, a lot can happen in 5 years... Can't believe you think it's better that we accept a ban on e-cigarettes (or hookahs) now instead of accepting a five year reprieve. Once it's banned, it isn't ever going to be "un-banned."

In five years they're either going to forget about it, or there will be more evidence (good or bad) as to the safety and efficacy of e-cigs.

The 5-year exemption was only going to protect existing e-cigarette stores in Utah. So ... Electronic Stix and ... no one.

I imagine the 'for demonstration purposes' also only applies for 5 years.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
You're talking about the state that has the lowest smoking rates in the entire nation. One store (in admittedly a large state area wise) is nothing... 5 years to accumulate data on the safety and efficacy of vaping and you're ready to throw that away? Seriously... If this is CASAA's official stance, they will NEVER see any money from me. You win some, you lose some... Right now, this looks like a win.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
You're talking about the state that has the lowest smoking rates in the entire nation. One store (in admittedly a large state area wise) is nothing... 5 years to accumulate data on the safety and efficacy of vaping and you're ready to throw that away? Seriously... If this is CASAA's official stance, they will NEVER see any money from me. You win some, you lose some... Right now, this looks like a win.

I don't speak for CASAA. CASAA's position will be in the letter it sends once the official copy of this legislation is available.

Vaping will be banned everywhere in Utah but for demonstration purposes in one store in Ogden, Utah. I don't understand why CASAA would support it.

As I recall, one of the legislators even mentioned in a response e-mail that the 5-year repeal would never happen. "Once it's here, it's here to stay" is what I remember reading.

I don't even think they've thought this up as a sunset clause. A true sunset clause requires renewal by both houses of the Utah government and the Governor's signature or non-action. AFAIK, this is going to be a 'After 5 years, you need to come to the legislature and specifically get a whole new bill passed to allow e-cigarette [or hookah] use. If you don't, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay in Utah.'

That's a ban. Period.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
So the legislation hasn't even been released yet, but you're jumping to conclusions? I've already said I would fight an outright ban, but as the the news article currently reads, that isn't what is on the table. If, when the legislation is released, it reads like you are stating, I will be the first one in line to oppose it. As the article currently states, that just isn't the case.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
So the legislation hasn't even been released yet, but you're jumping to conclusions? I've already said I would fight an outright ban, but as the the news article currently reads, that isn't what is on the table. If, when the legislation is released, it reads like you are stating, I will be the first one in line to oppose it. As the article currently states, that just isn't the case.

CASAA's Jacinda Ross and Jason from Electronic Stix were in the meeting where these exemptions were discussed. Sorry for not making it clear where my (what I believe is accurate) information came from.

In 2017, if legislators "extend" what I think will be Last's bill, Jason and his customers will still be the only people in Utah to be allowed to use an electronic cigarette in an indoor public place, and only for demonstration purposes. The ban would remain in place in all other areas.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
<snip> That is what has created the monstrosity that is our government.

Not to be completely off topic, but really it's more than likely the predominantly Mormon culture here in the state... Two words... Zion Curtain. Actually.... One could argue it actually has nothing to do with the predominant religion here in Utah. We're seeing it all over the country.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

I think Mr. Porter made it pretty clear in the article that only hookah were only going to be allowed in specific establishments and e-cigs were still banned in public places:

"[With HB245] we’ve kept hookah out of day cares and Chuck E. Cheeses. We’re keeping e-cigarettes off TRAX,” Porter said.
What a joke - like Chuck E. Cheese or day care centers would ever have allowed hookahs to be set up there, even if this law wasn't passed. They still have to appeal to and attract their customers with kids, for Pete's sake. Pure scare tactics - and fantastical ones, at that. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that you actually jumped to the conclusion that this deal also excluded e-cigarettes from the smoking ban for 5 years? Where did you see that in the article?

I read this:
While Porter is on board with the new bill, Jason Cornfeld, who owns ElectronicStix, an e-cigarette shop in Ogden that opened in 2008, said it would be a blow to his business.

Cornfeld’s shop has a “vaping” lounge attached to the store, where customers can use the “juice” they buy for their e-cigarettes. That would have to go.

And Cornfeld currently demonstrates to new customers how the E-cigarettes work. He would have to use a liquid without nicotine for the demonstrations if the law passes.

“It’s going to impact how we do business and it’s going to be a little harder to demonstrate things,” said Cornfeld.

I saw no mention in the article that public use of e-cigarettes would also be in the 5 year exemption? In fact, Cornfield seems to be saying that e-cigarette use is NOT exempted at all or else he would be able to keep his lounge and give demonstrations.

I would give Greg the benefit of the doubt, Nate. He has worked his .... off as a CASAA director - calling legislators, submitting FOIA requests, researching proposed legislation - he is not one to jump to conclusions without strong evidence. Having been through a few of these, he is absolutely correct that the hookah bar owner gave in too soon (along with throwing e-cig users under the bus when we specifically avoided doing that to hookah users). He jumped one hurdle and called it a draw. CASAA knows there are many more hurdles before this race can be called finished. I think we've been around these tracks enough times to know when to call it a win or a loss and deserve more credit than you give us?

So I would have to say this is definitely not what you suggest - they are not offering e-cigarette users a 5 year reprieve along with hookah. Seriously - do you really think CASAA wouldn't have also viewed that as a short-term win?? But based on this article, they aren't even offering the e-cigarette store the same deal as the hookah bar. Definitely not a win.

Last edited:

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
Okay, the substitute bill has been posted.

HB245 Sub

This is absolutely not acceptable. We will fight it.

Jason at Electronicstix is not cool with it either. They didn't even bother with the five-year deal for e-cig stores. They just changed it so that the only time e-cig use in the store would be okay, would be if he was demonstrating/educating about a new product to a customer using no-nic liquid. Kind of makes the lounge useless...

Most of the changes to the bill were for the hookah use.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Looks like the Substitute HB 245 allows (i.e. grandfathers in) existing hookah bars, but bans new ones. That should make the owners of existing hookah bars in Utah happy, since it protects them from any new competitors.

As such, e-cigarettes are now the only target of Substitute HB 245.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Hogwash, I say- Complete Hogwash....
What gets me is the third line of the bill...and in BOLD LETTERS....
CLEAN AIR ACT!!! Vapor from a PV or e-cig has to be cleaner than much of the air we breath anyway-
In this case, they need to ban all gas engines, even lawn mowers.... Everyone should require to have a push mower if they want to mow their lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread