1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Valerian Root natural relaxant and sleep aid E-Liquid??

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by Elle, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Elle

Elle Super Member ECF Veteran

As a person who struggles with high anxiety I saw this e-liquid and i'm intrigued, but i have some concerns.

From E-Puffer:

"
    New! E-Liquid Valerian Root natural relaxant and sleep aid - 30ml bottle.

The Original Valerian Root e-liquid formula availabe only from ePuffer
    Valerian is a perennial plant that has been used as an herbal remedy since the time of the Ancient Greeks, who used it to treat digestive problems. The herb grows in damp areas throughout the Americas, Europe and northern Asia. Valerian root has been used for centuries to treat nervous system disorders, and it is commonly used as a sleep aid as well.

As Valerian root ages, it produces a substance known as isovaleric acid. This compound and another acid known as valerenic acid are significant active ingredients that are present in the volatile oils found in Valerian root. These volatile oils are thought to be responsible for Valerian root's ability to relax the central nervous system and promote a good night's sleep.

"

First off I know people have had mixed experiences with Epuffer, so that concerns me (personally my experience has been the product is great, the service is junk).

Second, I've never considered vaping for "medicinal" aid. Is there anything to be cautious about in this area? Would lingering ejuice in the atomizer be a problem when i DON'T want a sleep aid, say the next morning w/ a different cart?

Any experience in this area and or comments are welcomed... Considering buying, but on the fence.

http://www.epuffer.com/eshop/index.php?target=products&product_id=41

[​IMG]

2. ShimmyPrincess

ShimmyPrincess Super Member ECF Veteran

Valerian root can act as a diuretic, people who tend to wake during the night to urinate may not find it effective as a sleep aid. Though side effects are rare, some people who use Valerian root for long periods of time may develop headaches, insomnia or agitation.

Valerian root should be used conservatively to treat symptoms of anxiety and insomnia, and it should not be discontinued suddenly. Because of possible negative interaction with barbiturates and benzodiazepines such as Ativan, valium and Xanax, people taking these medications should not use Valerian root.

Side Effects http://sleep.emedtv.com/valerian-root/valerian-root-side-effects.html

3. OutWest

OutWest Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

FWIW, valerian root extract is also added to cigarettes as a "flavoring". Of course, the amount in eliquid could be vastly different from what's in an analog.

4. Elle

thanks guys :)

5. CellWho

CellWho Super Member ECF Veteran

That's weird, there is no nic level choice. Is this 0 nic? Would make sense if it was :)

The idea of medicinal liquid is an interesting one, but it would be nice if there was a little more information regarding dosage other than not exceeding 30-40 puffs before bed.

6. Nuck

Nuck Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I bet this is exactly the type of thing that worries the health agencies. There are really 2 issues with vaping anything for medicinal reasons. The first is whether or not a substance is actually effective after being heated quickly and transported into the lungs. The far more relevant issue is will a substance that is commonly consumed actually be safe when continuously inhaled.

I'd say stick with what you know you don't react to for vaping, and digest anything you want to try for self medication. Your stomach is a hell of a lot more resilient than your lungs.

Oh yeah..Epuffer...Pfffffft!

7. Nick O'Teen

Nick O'Teen Super Member ECF Veteran

Given that the recommended valerian dosage is typically 1-2ml of tincture or extract (to be taken several times daily,) you'd need to add some zeros to that I think. Even if the liquid was pure valerian extract (which I don't suppose it can be,) you'd pretty much need a whole minipipe/standard 801 cartful to reach the lower bound. And since it's actually unlikely to be more than 10% (guess - but it presumably must contain some PG/water/flavourings/other "stuff",) you'd need to chainvape for hours to get a significant dose.

Just another triumph of marketing over sense - the world is full of them.

8. LadyRyana

LadyRyana Full Member

If it smells anything like the capsules I have taken then there is no way I would smoke it. My capsules smell like horrible dirty feet.

9. Elle

lol! thats pretty sick.

how long have you been taking the capsules, and do they work well for you?

10. Raven_Blackblade

Raven_Blackblade Super Member ECF Veteran

Valerian root is rather smelly. So much in fact that not even plugging your nose to take the pills works. It is one of those odors that actually has an even worse taste.

I wouldnt do a Valerian root vapor LOL! now I MIGHT do say, a Lavender, or Clary Sage vapor

11. Elle

thats so funny, i was reading about it a little last night and it said at one point in time it was used as a perfume!! hehe, stinkies :lol:

12. tadslippy

tadslippy Full Member

It does smell horrible, and the taste sticks with you when you take the pills. But, the pills will help you sleep. The recommended does 45 minutes before bed (or before boarding a plane!) knocks me out.

13. paisleyplatypus

paisleyplatypus Full Member

Oh yeah - Valerian supplements stink - it's like a dirty gym sock and the most repugnant French cheese made sweet, sweet love and then had babies. What's even worse and more gross is when you burp hours later and can still taste it. :cry:

It very much does help when you're anxious, though. It helped me immensely when I was trying to get over my anxiety a few years back.

14. Elle

wow! what a description! :D

thanks for sharing your experience in terms of its effect on anxiety :) i think i'm going to ask epuffer to describe (if possible) the taste, if it tastes like genuine valerian root.

i'm sure they'll say it tastes great no matter what, but at the same time i can't imagine them putting the funds behind a new eliquid that tastes like junk that people will hate to vape, you know?

i'll ask and see what they say (if they ever write back that is!!).

15. Elle

got a response from epuffer if anyones interested:

Hello Elle,

The taste of Valerian vapor is not as strong and concentrated and it has minty / root beer like taste.

Best Regards,

Support Team

Interesting!

16. paisleyplatypus

paisleyplatypus Full Member

So it's minty gym socks and rootbeer-flavored French cheese... euuuuuuuw!

I don't know why the real stuff smells so awful, but I wonder if the scent of it is tied to its efficacy? Hmmm...

17. doc g

doc g Full Member

I have been using valerian root & turning my patients on to it for over 20 years with only good results & no issues.
    I get it in tablet form in a product called Formula 303.
    Besides valerian to calm the nerves, it also contains passiflora (passion flower) & magnesium carbonate to relax the muscles.
    I get it from here http://www.deeceelabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=MF303-45

I'm not affiliated with them in any way,
    & I never tried to vape Formula 303's or valerian root.

18. Slea

Slea Super Member ECF Veteran

Yeah, my first though was that I would not vape Valerian in a million years. I bought a bottle once and it smelled like something DIED in there. And it tasted even worse.

I take melatonin for my sleep issues. I might vape that. Prolly not though. :)

19. taz3cat

taz3cat Ultra Member ECF Veteran

passiflora contains harmine a IMOA inhibitor. Cigarettes have Harmine in them and that is one of the things I think we miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.