VAMO OHM Error FIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Has anyone tried putting the o ring in boiling water and attempting to stretch it over the pin without cutting?

The o ring also serves to keep e-juice out of the electronics. The cut will allow some juice to flow down into the circuit board if your tank floods. I have not needed to do this upgrade, but I have purchased the o rings and when I put one in boiling water it streched quite a bit, so I am thinking that once I have to remove the old ring, I can possibly stretch one of these rings over the post rather than cutting it.

Any thoughts?

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Could be worth a shot. Do you have the #60 Rubber Washers or a different O-ring? I have 9 left in my package, I can try to boil and see what happens. Even with the cut it wasn't the easiest thing I've done getting it on, I'm not sure these have enough room to "stretch" around the pin down in the little well there but might work.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the update. Yes I have the Danko (spelling?) washers #60 direct from Home Depot. When I put one in boiling water for about 15 seconds and tried to stretch it with tweezers, it streched quite a bit. The flat top of the post does not seem to large, however the space around the top post is quite narrow and fitting the new washer through that gap while stretching it would be the major problem (before it cools off). I also wonder how long the post is? That is how far you can lift it up from its lower position. I would not want to break any soldered wire connections. I also do not desire (at this point) take the whole top unit off, disconnect the wire, pull the post out and then insert the ring around the bottom of the post, and reconnect everything. This might be the ultimate fix without cutting the O ring, but is much more complicated. Any other thoughts or suggestions would help others.

Happy Vaping
Wabbit

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I didn't pull the pin up very far, for the same reason, I def didn't pull it up to the top of the well, but I did pull it up high enough to get a side started pretty easily, I didn't realize the pin had a lip on it at first and was thinking it would never go. If you could quickly get one side under the lip you might be able to stretch it over, by pushing around the edges as OP describes. If I was feeling frisky I'd pull mine out and try it but it's been working perfect and I have a bunch of vapemail coming today :)

I will say, with one side cut and looking at it, I'm not too worried about juice getting through there, it's such a perfect fit, there's no way anything bigger is going in, and I can't even see the cut it's pushed so tight together.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I know what you mean, my Stainless Steel V2 Vamo has been working great. I have had it about a month, and the only problem I have had is sometimes having to lift the post after using an adapter. Now that I have switched to all 510 carto tanks, this does not happen, so I am not going to fool around with the fix. If it ain't broke, don''t fix it. :laugh:

darkmader

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2012
Minnesota
Same eff'n problem. It's all about the adapter. I was fine, like most, but wanted to check out the T3....... well ...., you need an adapter for it, with the rave reviews, yeah, I'll throw a few bucks on that and let me check it out.

When you do the adapter, it pushes the pin down and you will see a 0.0 or 9.9..... I'm lazy and should have fixed it a while ago, but the 0 you just loosen it a bit and re-check it and it will fire fine, that has always been the case as I've had this problem for a month but now one of my vivi's is solid 9.9 which you can't do anything about that so I went out to the store and this will help some people also as Ace Hardware has the Home Depot O-ring there. I came home, and the guy gave me the wrong thing (I think?) because I have #61 not #60 that was mentioned on the thread.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Update on replacing the O ring in one piece

In the Vamo Tips and Tricks thread found here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vamo/358084-vamo-owners-pics-tips-tricks-quirks-60.html Post # 600 by ericska.

It shows how to disassemble the Vamo and shows pictures of the connection, which can be unsoldered and the post "should" come out. Sliding on a new ring, replacing the post, resoldering the wire and replacing the top should do the trick. Here is a picture of the connection:

Vamo top removed.jpg

There are more pictures of the entire disassembly in the above post by ericska.

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Same eff'n problem. It's all about the adapter. I was fine, like most, but wanted to check out the T3....... well ...., you need an adapter for it, with the rave reviews, yeah, I'll throw a few bucks on that and let me check it out.

When you do the adapter, it pushes the pin down and you will see a 0.0 or 9.9..... I'm lazy and should have fixed it a while ago, but the 0 you just loosen it a bit and re-check it and it will fire fine, that has always been the case as I've had this problem for a month but now one of my vivi's is solid 9.9 which you can't do anything about that so I went out to the store and this will help some people also as Ace Hardware has the Home Depot O-ring there. I came home, and the guy gave me the wrong thing (I think?) because I have #61 not #60 that was mentioned on the thread.

Yeah I think you're gonna need the #60 unfortunately... agreed on the adapter I'm 100% positive those are what is causing this.

garyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
idaho
I've never used an adapter, but I remember hearing awhile back that some of them are made that you can screw the post in and out from one side to the other??

It'd be nice to find the best adapter to recommend to new users.

I use the adaptor from madvapes, it's cheap but never had any problems with it. I just screw it on with my kanger tight enough to make the connection, don't overtighten as this is the cause for most peoples problems. I heard Provape sells a quality 510 to ego connector made in USA but it's a bit more pricey but you pay for what you get as they say.

Day

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Haven't heard of that, but I've just been recommending the iclear16 to everyone. dual coil clearo with replaceable heads that fit without an adapter. Even if it didn't fit, I haven't found a better clearo.

Edit: I still say I didn't overtighten my adapter/tank, people keep saying that, but I've been vaping a while, it was only so tight as to not wobble all over the place... surely I can't be expected to leave my clearo weeble wobbling to and fro? With new washer I have zero problems tightening as I've done the past 2 years. Pretty clear where the failure is imo.

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
More information from ericska

I PMed erickska who took apart his Vamo in order to replace the whole head. Here is his reply and pictures of the replacement of the O Ring:

You can just simply solder off the positive white wire without pulling out the positive post. That silicone o-ring can handle the soldering heat up to 450°F, use a 60 watts soldering gun if you have, but best is as fast as possible, not to over heat it. You can try put the soldering tip on that o-ring and see whether it will melt or not, it's already defective anyway. When replaced the new insulator, wire pass through the insulator from under, solder the wire back to the positive post and let it cool off, then insert back in the insulator.

Another tip without taking off the vamo top part, is if you're willing to sacrifice a tweezers. Bend a very tiny hook(probably like an "L") at the tip end of your tweezers and use it to pull out the positive post. Solder off the wire, take off the damaged insulator. Replace the insulator with an O ring, re solder the wire and push the positive post back in.

Vamo 1.jpg Vamo 2.jpg Vamo 3.jpg Vamo 4.jpg

As you can see the insulator is much different than just an O ring, but obviously it people have replaced the original insulator with the #60 O ring it will work. I have not tried this yet, because mine has not needed this repair.

Last edited:

Genbu75

Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Virginia
I've personally used this fix after seeing it on Reddit a while back. My center pin pushed in completely by a knock off vivi nova. While trying to pop it back up the original white o-ring tore.

Used the washers from home depot, it was annoying to get it in but only took <10 mins for me. Haven't had a single issue since and I've been able to screw all my tanks tight and flush.

When I bought my second vamo, I immediately installed the #60 washers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread