VAMO OHM Error FIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
So my new VAMO started reading OHM's like 9.9ohm and certain 510 devices stopped working. This link on Reddit was posted in a thread here on ECF, it was a huge find for me so I wanted to give it more attention.

The problem is from over-tightening and pushing the center pin down too far. There is a small white gasket that needs to be under the center connection, this pushes up the center pin to make the connections. If the gasket is missing or the center connection is pushed into the gasket you will get issues with firing and ohm reading.

I used a blunt dental tool and carefully pushed the white gasket back under the center pin, and tightened my vivi very gently and it works like it should. I'm going to follow this advice and replace the gasket as it seems to be a great fix.

Here it is:

"I literally just went through this with my SS Vamo earlier this evening. I just received an AGR cartotank from Steammonkey and the 510/510 adapter piece pushed my center pin down into the washer. I screwed it on really tight which I guess isn't necessary. After the fix below I screwed it down as far as it would go and it didn't push the pin down again so I'd say its a success.

Here's what I did to resolve it and actually improve it.

• Remove the original washer (with tweezers.)
  • Push up the center pin with a tiny screwdriver (or toothpick.) Work around the edges so its more or less up.
  • Go to Home Depot (Lowes should have them too, OSH did not) and buy new #60 size washers (Plumbing section.) They are almost twice as thick and black. It was $2.47 for a pack of 10 or something.
  • Cut the new washer in one spot with scissors
  • With the tiny screwdriver / toothpick (this will probably be really difficult with a toothpick as it requires quite a bit of pressure) push the new washer down (hard) diagonally away from the center pin. You should feel and hear a light pop. I believe this is the washer either getting under the center pin or the threading on the inner wall.
  • Continue to do this "threading" around the center pin in by pushing down on the washer diagonally in small increments from one side of the cut in the washer, to the other. The last 25% will be the most annoying as it gets harder. You want to get the washer under the center pin so act accordingly.
  • Toward the end the center pin will be roughly 50% over the washer, and 50% under. Just keep threading around toward the other end of the cut you made. Finally when you feel the washer won't go under the center pin any further with this method, attempt to get your tiny screwdriver under the center pin on the side thats still under the washer and pop it over the remaining washer.
Tedious and annoying but it only took me 5 minutes. The new washer is thicker and tighter and shouldn't get pushed down again.
Edit: I read a less detailed version of this on ECF forums and that user said to cut the washer in half. I wasn't having luck with that and found it easier to do it with just 1 cut but you may want to try both to find the path of least resistance for you."

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/17ai9i/low_ohm_reading_on_vamo/c83uj18

Thank you,i just had the same problem,that center pin oring popped out and i had to do this.

VClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2011
Seattle
Thank you,i just had the same problem,that center pin oring popped out and i had to do this.

That is good for a quick fix but it has been suggested to get an insulator that also covers the center pin down in the hole.

These were reported to work great as a replacement.
510 Threaded Connector Insulators - Avid Vaper

It's almost exactly like the factory one, I got some just to have on hand in case I need them someday, call it my vamo insurance. :)

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
That is good for a quick fix but it has been suggested to get an insulator that also covers the center pin down in the hole.

These were reported to work great as a replacement.
510 Threaded Connector Insulators - Avid Vaper

It's almost exactly like the factory one, I got some just to have on hand in case I need them someday, call it my vamo insurance. :)

Great stuff,what i did in the mean time was make a washer from a silicon CONDOM that came with old egoc kit,i just cut a strip about 1/6 in thick and 3/8in in length and it went in fine,its working now so ill leave her for now,thanks for the link.I can see why the insulater pops out,juice gets in there and makes the rubber slippery.

Last edited:

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Been reading this thread. Take a look here at these rubber grommets with nipples. Now, they have lips on both sides, ...but I'm thinking a sharp razor blade could be used to slice one side off. Therefore, leaving one side with a thick washer (needed to lift the center pin up), ...and a long straight edge to go down in the barrel (to keep juice or condensation from actually leaking inside the Vamo).

Rubber Grommets [rubber-grommets] - $5.00 : TATSoul Supplies, Premium Tattoo Supplies and Equipment

What do you guys think? Just a thought. :glare:

Last edited:

JimSmith94

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Irving, TX USA
I have two identical SS Vamo V2's that I bought from Fast Tech a month or so apart, one in a kit and one just the unit. Yesterday, within an hour of each other, they both read Lo (short).

I bought the #60 O-rings at Home Depot today and did the one cut fix. They worked well for a few minutes after that, but then they started reading Lo again. I pulled the connectors out as far as I could and was able to get a whole O-ring on. A few minutes later they both read Lo again. Now with the connectors out and not touching anything that I can see with a magnifying glass, they still read Lo.

Have I fried my Vamos somehow or does anyone have any suggestions for fixing them?

*** EDIT *** It was user error. :( I was running single 18350's and the Lo was because the batteries were low. Thus why they both happened at almost the same time and also why they would work for a few minutes after power up, duh! Put my 18650's in and they work great again. Oh well, I have the more robust O-rings now, so I should be good for a while now. :) I'll leave my original post up in hopes that it will ring the bell for someone else.

Last edited:

Dunder Mifflin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
California

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I wish I had your talents. I really due but they are not part of my skill set.

Got my new Vamo 3 today from a US store and then the dreaded "Low Load" displayed. As others have said when I was playing with the eGo thread cover so my iClear 30 would look nice and pretty it must have nuked the pin or as you say pushed it down. I'm no stranger to firm but not tight. I removed the beauty ring, stuck a toothpick and poked a little and bingo I'm back in business. I like the Mod but lack the skill set to fix. See my pic: vamo-rev-2.jpg

Questions and please humor me: If the pin gets pushed down again why can't I just pull it up with some needle nose plyers since the white gasket is still in place or is that gasket a point of failure?

This kit at: 510 Threaded Connector Insulators - Avid Vaper Could I install this or does it require soldering and such which I can't due? I probably missed it but instructions I think I saw ? but way beyond me.

Is their an easier fix that I could handle, given the fact that I'm not very good with my hands?

It's a shame cause I really like the Mod but if this is an inherint point of failure which I can't fix then I better cut my losses and sell the Mod asap.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited:

JimSmith94

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Irving, TX USA
I wish I had your talents. I really due but they are not part of my skill set.

Got my new Vamo 3 today from a US store and then the dreaded "Low Load" displayed. As others have said when I was playing with the eGo thread cover so my iClear 30 would look nice and pretty it must have nuked the pin or as you say pushed it down. I'm no stranger to firm but not tight. I removed the beauty ring, stuck a toothpick and poked a little and bingo I'm back in business. I like the Mod but lack the skill set to fix. See my pic: View attachment 232456

Questions and please humor me: If the pin gets pushed down again why can't I just pull it up with some needle nose plyers since the white gasket is still in place or is that gasket a point of failure?

This kit at: 510 Threaded Connector Insulators - Avid Vaper Could I install this or does it require soldering and such which I can't due? I probably missed it but instructions I think I saw ? but way beyond me.

Is their an easier fix that I could handle, given the fact that I'm not very good with my hands?

It's a shame cause I really like the Mod but if this is an inherint point of failure which I can't fix then I better cut my losses and sell the Mod asap.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I fixed mine with the #60 O-rings from Home Depot. Others said after you remove the original ring, make a cut through one side and work it around the connector. I tried it that way and it did work, but what was easier for me was to pull the connector up as far as it would go, start a complete O-ring on one side, and just use my thumb to stretch it over the connector. It might be easier to work the original connector out that way too, but I already had mine out at that point.

That said, now that the Avid Vaper insulators are in stock again, I'll probably buy some for future use, as they look like a more permanent solution. Not sure if soldering will be required, but that's not a problem for me.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks Jim. Thinking about what happened to me I should change my thoughts. I installed a Beauty ring and NOT an adapter. Just a simple hunk of metal trying to improve the look. Then I think I may have applied to much tightness when I installed my iClear 30 which then produced the Low Load error on my first fire.

I've watched a few videos on the remove and replace fix so I'm going to keep it till it breaks. LOL.

What is still not crystal clear to me is:

I've ordered the 510 Threaded Connector Insulators from avid vaper. Are these BETTER/IMPROVED Insulators than the Insulator the factory installs or are they the same part as the factory's install?

I found a UK dealer post about this issue with 7 returned units. I'm also going to try and keep the post/insulator area clean until I decide what to due.

Griff.J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
ON Canada
Mine was fine until I put a 510-ego adapter on it...

I've bought 3 different 510 adaptors and every single one of them I've found are too long. the 510 threading is too long, the center post is too long and I can't get a flush fit onto any of my batteries, it's annoying as hell. All I can think of is grinding down the center pin a little bit with a fine dermal bit or something..

Does anyone know of a 510-510 sealed adaptor that is the correct perfect thread length to fit into the battery flush and the atomizer fit flush into the adaptor at the same time?

I get this....
NoFit1.jpg NoFit2.jpg
This is a genuine Joye eGo, and Joye 510 Atty.

Last edited:

JimSmith94

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Irving, TX USA
Thanks Jim. Thinking about what happened to me I should change my thoughts. I installed a Beauty ring and NOT an adapter. Just a simple hunk of metal trying to improve the look. Then I think I may have applied to much tightness when I installed my iClear 30 which then produced the Low Load error on my first fire.

I've watched a few videos on the remove and replace fix so I'm going to keep it till it breaks. LOL.

What is still not crystal clear to me is:

I've ordered the 510 Threaded Connector Insulators from avid vaper. Are these BETTER/IMPROVED Insulators than the Insulator the factory installs or are they the same part as the factory's install?

I found a UK dealer post about this issue with 7 returned units. I'm also going to try and keep the post/insulator area clean until I decide what to due.
My connectors haven't come in yet, but the Vamo ones are basically just O-rings with squarish edges instead of round. The Avid Vaper ones look like stock 510 insulators, with an indented "well" that goes into the hole under the connector. I think that style will help hold it in place better, although my O-rings are holding up well so far.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
just got the low load/ohm error on my 2 day old vamo v3, it has had 1 tank screwed into it. I couldn't begin to tell you the levels of frustration and anger i went to. Luckily i had come across this thread earlier and knew exactly what to do. I had success with the two peice o-ring method. the 1 cut was too difficult with my bear claw hands. now it's vaping like it did yesterday, THE DAY I GOT IT. so, overall, i'm happy that it works, but unhappy it even happened at all.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks Jim. I looked at the pics again and it looks like you are correct. Just to make sure, I just submitted a support ticket so we should hear next week. PLEASE keep us all UTD on your findings.

@poonjuice well at least you got one day out of your Vamo before you had to fix it. :) First fire for me and I share your thoughts. All my reading on this subject tells me that some who have done the Home Depot fix report that a few days later it did not work. Not saying or wishing this on you, just a heads up. :)

BTW, I just found a neat feature for me on the Vamo 3. After you set your Watts it remembers this so all you have to due is click (NOT press and hold) the fire button and it displays your current watts setting. Your NOT changing your watts, only displaying the current setting. Just a click/press but do not hold the fire button down. VERY handy and then you can go back and use either button to adjust your watts if you so desire. I'm VERY impressed with the UI on this device.

HTH

:)

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
@senior boy
I really hope that my vamo keeps working,I really do love it. When it works, it's a champ, and i feel like i might have actually improved it. Before the fix, the tank had an ever so slight give to it, now it feels really solid in my hand. however, only time will tell if my fix did the trick or if there are more gremlins waiting in the wind.

joeman

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Babson Park, Fla
Bump to find. Thanks
Figured out a trick when working with O rings some years back.

I set a blow dryer up between a couple stacks of books to cover my work zone and keep it almost hot (adjust distance as needed), pulled an O ring out of the coffee mug of hot water and managed to keep it warm enough to be pliable for a good 5 minutes (all that I needed). Might help stretching an un-cut O ring around the top of the post for this application too.

The other thought I had (again past tinkering) was to take some teflon plumbers tape and split it length wise and just pull up the post and wrap it as needed. The stuff is pretty tough and would also go down the pin just a bit when it was pushed back in making a nice tight seal (like it does on pipes).

Just my thoughts and hope I don't need this fix on my new Vamo for a loooooonnnngg time to come.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I fixed mine with the #60 O-rings from Home Depot. Others said after you remove the original ring, make a cut through one side and work it around the connector. I tried it that way and it did work, but what was easier for me was to pull the connector up as far as it would go, start a complete O-ring on one side, and just use my thumb to stretch it over the connector. It might be easier to work the original connector out that way too, but I already had mine out at that point.

That said, now that the Avid Vaper insulators are in stock again, I'll probably buy some for future use, as they look like a more permanent solution. Not sure if soldering will be required, but that's not a problem for me.

When you worked the uncut O ring on, had you removed the original ring? I've sat here for a good half hour and it just doesn't seem to want to pull out. I started reading back through the thread to see if my question was answered but have to leave here to get to my mom's house (she's now in assisted living) and her brother is on his was from the UK to visit. There's a HD about a mile away, so maybe I can be up and running soon after I get back if someone knows the answer.

If it does need to be removed, is there a trick I'm not getting?

JimSmith94

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Irving, TX USA
When you worked the uncut O ring on, had you removed the original ring? I've sat here for a good half hour and it just doesn't seem to want to pull out. I started reading back through the thread to see if my question was answered but have to leave here to get to my mom's house (she's now in assisted living) and her brother is on his was from the UK to visit. There's a HD about a mile away, so maybe I can be up and running soon after I get back if someone knows the answer.

If it does need to be removed, is there a trick I'm not getting?

Sorry for the delay, yes I removed the original ring first. It has to be removed as there isn't enough room for both rings at the same time. I think I worked it away from the center pin from the center first and then started working the edge up over the connector.

It might be easier to carefully work the connector out as far as the connecting wire will allow to both remove the old ring and install the one. Then just push the connector back into place with the new ring on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread