Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Working with the 3D carbon vinyl is super easy and forgiving if you have an X-Acto knife and a couple of #11 blades. For a little more than the same price as a pre-made wrap you can make your own wrap exactly the way you like with only a modicum of patience and have a whole bunch of vinyl left over for more wraps for other PVs or for other projects.

I bought some of this 12" x 60' 3D carbon vinyl from the same seller on eBay. The vinyl is fairly heavy, textured and easily repositionable multiple times.
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap BLACK 12" x 60" Sheet
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap WHITE 12" X 60" Sheet

I posted templates for different wrap configurations in this thread, VAMO skin templates with multiple configuration options.

Working with the 3D carbon vinyl is super easy and forgiving if you have an X-Acto knife and a couple of #11 blades. For a little more than the same price as a pre-made wrap you can make your own wrap exactly the way you like with only a modicum of patience and have a whole bunch of vinyl left over for more wraps for other PVs or for other projects.

I bought some of this 12" x 60' 3D carbon vinyl from the same seller on eBay. The vinyl is fairly heavy, textured and easily repositionable multiple times.
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap BLACK 12" x 60" Sheet
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap WHITE 12" X 60" Sheet

I posted templates for different wrap configurations in this thread, VAMO skin templates with multiple configuration options.

I am curious if I can find a hole punch that I can use instead of an exacto for the round holes... or just cut smaller first - then use a larger diameter drill bit and slowly and evenly plow through the first cut to make an even hole. Looks like myself and my trusty dremel will have to give this a go - thank you!

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I will say tho that if the unit was smooth in that section it would make the sticker look a bit better since you would not notice the indentation of the recess... perhaps I can use some putty or wax (something easy to remove should I decide to take off the wrap) to fill that recess so that when it is stickered over you do not see the indentation... hmmm...

If you do a 3D textured carbon vinyl wrap you don't need to do anything to fill in the gaps between sections. The heaviness of the vinyl combined with the texture does an excellent job of concealing the gap. Even the waterproof inkjet printable vinyl, which is not textured and is thinner vinyl, will hide the gap if you use a pattern.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I am curious if I can find a hole punch that I can use instead of an exacto for the round holes... or just cut smaller first - then use a larger diameter drill bit and slowly and evenly plow through the first cut to make an even hole. Looks like myself and my trusty dremel will have to give this a go - thank you!

I just checked with my cheapie leather hole punch, SE Leather Hole Punch Tool, Heavy Duty 2.0mm - 4.5mm. For the little "+" and "-" buttons you can use the next to the largest size for a hole that has a hair of room maneuvering room to place the vinyl or the next size down for a tighter fit.

This paper punch, Mcgills 5/16 Inch Round Hand Punch With 2 Inch Reach, should work for the firing button but that cut is very easy to do with an X-Acto.

I've never had any good results using my Dremel to do little holes in cardstock or vinyl.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
xmr405o - I make all my own skins but, from what I've read, the purchased carbon fiber wraps are made from the same material I use. If that is the case, save the backing that the wrap comes on. If you get tired of the wrap take it off gently and put it back on the backing. You should be able to use it again if you get tired of the stainless look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread