vanilla extract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I've been reading the posts by SunVapor and others here about the difficulty in creating a DIY vanilla e-juice. I don't think I saw anyone mention trying pure vanilla extract (the stuff you find in the baking section of a grocery store). I'm sure there must be a reason nobody uses this stuff. I'm just wondering why not.

Kim

Hey KIm All I know is!!! NO!! tried it!! about 3 months back, and I still can smell it!! Plus the smell on the atomizer, never went away
Unless I did not mix correctly, I also attempted a coconut extract flavoring and that was worse
Good luck

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I've been reading the posts by SunVapor and others here about the difficulty in creating a DIY vanilla e-juice. I don't think I saw anyone mention trying pure vanilla extract (the stuff you find in the baking section of a grocery store). I'm sure there must be a reason nobody uses this stuff. I'm just wondering why not.

Kim

Kim--I have tryed from the cheapest to the best money can but (burbon bean vanilla extract---all to no avail as there either is very little vanilla taste or there is way to strong an alcohol taste that takes away from any flavor (36%)--Yicks!! So the quest goes on!!! If you have any ideas, let us know!!! I would love to know what the manufacutes are using!!! Thanks, Sun

pagn8or

Mar 26, 2009
Florida Keys
I like my vanilla extract just fine. I use the Wilton (or Walton?, I don't have it with me) clear vanilla extract. Picked it because it didn't have a long ingredient list or obvious sugars (wouldn't be surprised if it has some in the "natural flavorings" though).

I'm sure others have used it, so I guess my tastes just differ. I've been getting CaSh Cola 24mg and cutting it in half with glycerine, then adding a dash of vanilla. Mmm. Vanilla Coke.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I find the grocery store vanilla extract (Dr Oetker/Supercook) to have a great flavor. It's not especially strong though.

The artificial vanilla flavor (often referred to as vanillin) is a benzaldehyde which some feel presents a health hazard, although there is debate on the matter. Safety (MSDS) data for vanillin

pagn8or

Mar 26, 2009
Florida Keys
I found the Wilton in a craft store near the bakery stuff, so yeah, grocery store. From what I've been reading, even the LorAnns that many people use is just cooking flavoring. The key seems to be to find stuff that won't clog the atomizer, and the clear extract seemed like a good idea. And it's Kosher - woo hoo - eh... whatever.

After checking out a post today that showed a bunch of different e-juices that had been cooked on a spoon to show what was left after it vaporized I've decided I'm going to give that a try with the extract when I get home. If it looks like it leaves a lot of residue, or it's particularly sticky or something, I may look for something new.

analog2digital

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Jackson, MI
I have been using McCormick French Vanilla Blend from Walmart. the #2 ingredient is Propylene Glycol, and Alcohol (16%). I like the strong vanilla flavor and have preferred this so far, although, the only commercial product I have tried yet is Johnson Creek Vanilla Ice Cream. The F Vanilla extract is so good my mouth is watering, which, is much more than I can say for the JC.

I have been using this in my DSE901 and Joye510. Honestly, I am not sure of the recipe, as it has been ad-hoc. I have had best results with the Totally Wicked 11mg Mnethol with the vanilla extract, but, I just add the vanilla until I get the desired taste, and have not really measured it out yet.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I have been using McCormick French Vanilla Blend from Walmart. the #2 ingredient is Propylene Glycol, and Alcohol (16%). I like the strong vanilla flavor and have preferred this so far, although, the only commercial product I have tried yet is Johnson Creek Vanilla Ice Cream. The F Vanilla extract is so good my mouth is watering, which, is much more than I can say for the JC.

I have been using this in my DSE901 and Joye510. Honestly, I am not sure of the recipe, as it has been ad-hoc. I have had best results with the Totally Wicked 11mg Mnethol with the vanilla extract, but, I just add the vanilla until I get the desired taste, and have not really measured it out yet.

Allow me to stay on this "blend" for a moment
Is the Walmart blend an IMITATION extract?? or?? pure extract
I see the imitations have PG alcohol and water, so that appears to be able to work I wonder if the pure extracts are not as suitable for us

analog2digital

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Jackson, MI
I assume it uses some artificial, as others say 'extract'. I will put what the label has on it:

"French Vanilla Blend with other natural Flavors.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol (16%), Vanilla Extract, Vanillin, Caramel Color, and Natural Flavors."

I assume the Vanillin would be the artificial stuff. I have been using this about a month and have not had any problems, but I have cleaned my atomizers in boiling water a couple of times.

I don't know if it is good or bad, but I prefer the flavor so far. Hope this helps.

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I assume it uses some artificial, as others say 'extract'. I will put what the label has on it:

"French Vanilla Blend with other natural Flavors.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol (16%), Vanilla Extract, Vanillin, Caramel Color, and Natural Flavors."

I assume the Vanillin would be the artificial stuff. I have been using this about a month and have not had any problems, but I have cleaned my atomizers in boiling water a couple of times.

I don't know if it is good or bad, but I prefer the flavor so far. Hope this helps.

You are great w/ your respones, thank you
If the bottle does not say Imitation, on it, then it is not considered imitation
It does seem to make a diff in flavor, atleast for me, but also, I think it smells, like it is burning, which I know aint right
So, I am off to the store AGAIN

blueeyekelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
all ove the USA
Vanilla extract has to be at lest 10% alcohol, that's the law because the vanilla is alcohol soluble and not water. There is no such thing as a clear vanilla extract. The brown color of vanilla is actually a natural color from the extraction process... if you have a nice vanilla extract and some vanilla beans you can make a nice double strength extract... Ok I'll shut up now....

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
PURE VANILLIN CRYSTALS

Ethyl vanillin is actually what is used in the manufacture of our commercial e-liquids often in combination with some other form of a vanilla extractive.

If anyone considers trying the vanillin crystals let me know. If it's in the pure crystal form it seems to me that you can't get any stronger vanilla taste than that. The smell is intoxicating. It occurs to me that if you need to mix a vanilla absolute with alcohol as a carrier as has been suggested with the tobacco absolute that might be defeating the purpose, so maybe a vanilla absolute is not the way to go and perhaps better is a 2x or 4x extract of vanilla.

While vanillin as commercially produced is artificial, manufactured from guaiacol or lignin, it is considered nature identical. It exists in nature as the most concentrated form of the vanilla flavor in vanilla beans:

"One of the main flavor components in Bourbon vanilla is vanillin, which imparts the bean with its distinctive vanilla flavor. Our bulk gourmet Madagascar vanilla beans are so rich in vanillin that the vanillin often crystallizes out to the surface of the vanilla bean as shown in the picture of vanilla beans below."

Vanillin Crystals - Bourbon Vanilla Beans

According to one report, and I don't know what to make of it: Krinos Vanillin is a white or yellowish crystalline compound extracted from vanilla beans. It is mostly used as a fragrance in perfumes and for flavoring baked goods.

Here are some links where you can buy the Krinos brand Vanillin for as little as $1.49 --

http://persiangrocer.com/usersection...&img=1&catid=9
http://www.christosmarket.com/Produc...ductCode=BAK03
http://www.shamra.com/food/foodsearc...0and%20Essence
http://javafoods.com/store/product.p...15&page=1&js=n
http://www.greekinternetmarket.com/1101-09001.html
Parthenon Foods - Vanilla Flavoring (Krinos) 17g

There's about 3 Greek markets nearby where I might be able to purchase this locally.

This is, more specifically, what the commercial e-liquid manufacturers are using and if you can find a supplier for the small quantities we would use, please post on here:

"Ethyl Vanillin is an important Aroma chemical with a stronger more intense vanilla-like aroma than vanillin. Its major applications are in the manufacture of fragrances, toiletries, detergents and food/beverages. Aromatic ethyl vanillin is manufactured through a synthetic process with raw materials derived from fossil hydrocarbons. Aromatic is delivered in crystalline form. Due to its more intense flavour and fragrance profile, Aromatic ethyl vanillin is between 2 and 4 times stronger than normal vanillin grades."

Somebody posted somewhere on the forum (without knowing what they were even talking about):

"The artificial vanilla flavor (often referred to as vanillin) is a benzaldehyde which some feel presents a health hazard, although there is debate on the matter. Safety (MSDS) data for vanillin"

The reason for the confusion is that what they were actually referring to is
ETHYL VANILLIN (3-ETHOXY-4-HYDROXY-BENZALDEHYDE). Once again, this is actually the stuff that the commercial e-liquid manufacturers really are using, often in combination with some other vanilla extractive.

This is the smallest quantity of ethyl vanillin I can find at the moment to purchase:

Ethyl Vanillin, NF
3-Ethoxy-4-hydroxybenzaldehyde
N.F. Functional Use: Flavor; Perfume
125 GM $53.58

ArtChemicals.com - Chemistry for the Imagination

pagn8or

Mar 26, 2009
Florida Keys
... There is no such thing as a clear vanilla extract. The brown color of vanilla is actually a natural color from the extraction process...

There is. It's just artificial.

Attachments

• 604-2237_1286_detail.jpg
    604-2237_1286_detail.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 100

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Allow me to stay on this "blend" for a moment
Is the Walmart blend an IMITATION extract?? or?? pure extract
I see the imitations have PG alcohol and water, so that appears to be able to work I wonder if the pure extracts are not as suitable for us

Yes--It is my understanding that the use of Vanillin is no good--is this supported or is this speculation? Ahh the hunt for the Holy Grail of Vanilla? -----------Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread