Vanilla extract...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
So, I am going to go and get some lorann flavors this weekend, but I wanted to try something in the meantime. I noticed my vanilla extract in my kitchen smells really good. I also noticed it has water, PG and a few other ingredients. I was wondering if anyone has tried vanilla extract from their kitchen, does it work, (if so, is it any good) and can it harm the atty? I wwanted to add it to my flavorless liquid I have now...

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
So, I am going to go and get some lorann flavors this weekend, but I wanted to try something in the meantime. I noticed my vanilla extract in my kitchen smells really good. I also noticed it has water, PG and a few other ingredients. I was wondering if anyone has tried vanilla extract from their kitchen, does it work, (if so, is it any good) and can it harm the atty? I wwanted to add it to my flavorless liquid I have now...

kalojado--you have to add somemore PG or VG with it, but yes it works. As a matter of fact it is now the base used in all Johnson Creek juice as they got rid of the tobacco Absolute and the Tobacoo essence and replaced it with vanilla extract. The high alcohol content of the real extract gives for a very dry hit though. .Many report good results with the immitation over the real vanilla extract

Sun

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
kalojado--you have to add somemore PG or VG with it, but yes it works. As a matter of fact it is now the base used in all Johnson Creek juice as they got rid of the Tobacco Absolute and the Tobacoo essence and replaced it with vanilla extract. The high alcohol content of the real extract gives for a very dry hit though. .Many report good results with the immitation over the real vanilla extract

Sun

okay, glad i asked before i tried that :)

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
So I have some Wilton's Clear Vanilla Extract. I mixed this with some Pure Glycerin I got from CVS. I diluted it with a bit of Vodka to thin the Glycerin out a bit. Any reason to be concerned about this ingredients list? The Clear Vanilla Extract lists water, ethyl alcohol,citric acid, artificial flavors and phosphoric acid. The Pure Glycerin lists only Glycerin 99.5% Anhydrous.

This is a really cheap and tasty 0 nic juice and I'd love to know it's safe. Anybody good with chemistry would be great to weigh in!!

I also bought some McCormicks Imitation Banana Extract which is awesome! It's ingredient list is water, alcohol,natural & artificial flavors and FD&C yellow 5. Any issues with this one?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

CZEdwards

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Republic of Boulder
Kalojado, I use my vanilla extract, but I use Penzey's double strength. It works pretty well, but I always end up mixing vanilla with something else anyway (vanilla mint, vanilla rose, vanilla coffee...) so the vanilla base (I think it's 12 mg/ml strength) mainly lends sweetness and a round flavor, the way vanilla should.

Hm. Vanilla and cinnamon... that would be a snickerdoodle. Hm...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
So I have some Wilton's Clear Vanilla Extract. I mixed this with some Pure Glycerin I got from CVS. I diluted it with a bit of Vodka to thin the Glycerin out a bit. Any reason to be concerned about this ingredients list? The Clear Vanilla Extract lists water, ethyl alcohol,citric acid, artificial flavors and phosphoric acid. The Pure Glycerin lists only Glycerin 99.5% Anhydrous.

This is a really cheap and tasty 0 nic juice and I'd love to know it's safe. Anybody good with chemistry would be great to weigh in!!

I also bought some McCormicks Imitation Banana Extract which is awesome! It's ingredient list is water, alcohol,natural & artificial flavors and FD&C yellow 5. Any issues with this one?

Thanks!!!

Really late comment on this, but I would not vape phosphoric acid in any amount. Its a very corrosive acid. Its ok when they add it to sodas to preserve and give bite, but in a vaping scenario it will likely eat up the atty, and maybe the lungs too. Not sure why it is in a vanilla extract.

There are plenty of safer van extracts out there. I found ethanol-based ones needed too much for a flavor, at least the organic Frontier brand ones I have. Whole foods sells an alcohol-free which is just vanilla and VG. While on its own it is also a bit weak, using it in place of unflavored VG in diluting is a great way to add a vanilla depth to lots of other flavored juices. I like making a caramel-vanilla that way. Lots of directions one could go with this...and have! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread