Vape Friendly Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

koryran

Jul 11, 2014
winterpeg
Thanks for your kind words, been lurking here since last summer when I started vaping, and the info I've picked up has allowed me to totally stop analogs and basically changed my life around. Anything I can do or say to help others here just by offering my opinion is really the least I can do, so thanks to you all as well for offering up the info you know about, it's appreciated:)

koryran

Jul 11, 2014
winterpeg
Just to further clarify, U.S. Department of transport says use of ecigarettes on board all domestic and foreign carriers operating in us airspace is banned. I believe modification to this statement is pending.

Transport Canada doesn't use the words 'use on board banned'' but does express concern over the batteries and states that ecigs should be carried in carryon baggage as opposed to checked in to allow immediate intervention if the battery catches on fire. Air Canada, west jet, Canadian north, and other Canadian carriers all prohibit their use onboard and want them stowed in carry on baggage for easy access.

Iata (international airline transportation association) classifies ecigs as dangerous goods and reccomends their use on board should be banned, but carried as carryon baggage, again because of the risk of the batteries.

Personally, I hope that as more hard science emerges concerning the relatively benign effects of ecigs, second hand vape etc, the knee jerk reaction of the non vaping public and policy making officials will soften a bit. Till then I think some European and Asian carriers allow or even encourage it, but best to check their policy before doing so.

I recently read on Huffington Post that the TSA wants vapers to put everything in their carry on luggage.The liquid limits are still the same. I traveled twice this year and was worried about the paraphernalia looking bomb like on xray but had no problem what so ever.And I had multiple ego batteries and charger cables.

Reactions: redrebel821

Giando

Apr 11, 2017
On airplanes Alitalia (Italian flagship company) smoking on board is absolutely prohibited, both for classic cigarettes and for electronic cigarettes. The ban is sanctioned by international standards and the failure to comply with the rules on the safety of navigation is legally enforceable. This prohibition is valid in all areas of the aircraft, including the toilet. However, electronic cigarettes, such as electronic cigars and electronic tubes, may be admitted on board in hand luggage, provided they remain unused and placed in their luggage for the duration of the flight

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
OMG, don't vape on SW, whatever you do. The last time I did, a couple years ago, it was openly, and I hadn't read anything to the effect that it was terrible... Flight was delayed on tarmac several hrs, so eventually I vaped, was approached by a stewardess and politely stated "Can you just please show me where that rule is written down?" which, yes, she could, so fair enough, I apologized, returning to playing on my phone. LOL, as we were preparing to take off I was in the process of powering down my phone (as instructed by the pilot) and I guess it wasn't FAST enough for her, (I again apologized) and I was met by airport security after flight attendant detained me and she said I had been "posting nasty stuff on FB about her on my phone" (I don't even USE FB), and "refused to comply" with turning off my phone, (also untrue, I'm a fairly polite person, I do what I'm told on a bazillion pound airliner when I'm on board, believe me, I want things to go smoothly) but anyway she wrote up her statement, I gave mine to the transit police, and an "incident report" was filed at my local police office. I had no idea what that EVEN MEANT, I mean, the TP pretty much just laughed her off after hearing what I had to say, declined to check out my nonexistent FB account, and said they were quite familar with said stewardess, and let me go. But, it was humiliating-- this was back when it was more of a grey area. I went and got that report later, and it is basically mouldering away in some file cabinet somewhere, (meaninglessly) but the stewardess was hateful!! I mean, I was totally POLITE, I didn't vape the sec she said stop, just asked where the rule was so I'd know where to look on other airlines... I can laugh about it now, but if I'm going on a long flight, I'll pack some nic lozenges and whatnot-- scared flyer, heh, (though I wouldn't shove ANY gear in a suitcase, I don't think) and just Play By the Rules. Airplanes are Private Carriers, and even if you IMMEDIATELY comply, they can make your life kind of...bad. Extremely bad, actually. I still fly SW, it's a hub around here, but I will NOT VAPE EVER EVER, no. Not the bathroom, not even stealthily in a crowded theater, can you yell "FIRE?" No thanks. I learned my lesson that day. It's kind of like the no shoes rule in some stores.... I don't care much if I'm barefoot and believe it to be safe, but I'm not a Risk Managment Person who thinks, "What if some employee dropped a glass bottle on the floor and now there's a lawsuit?". It sucks, but it is what it is, the media has done a fantastic job of scaring ppl of e-cigs so all those "benefits" back in the day are gone. Now, my WLT juice just arrived... will report back as it's Yoga time.

I'm not too stealthy at much. Vaping included, I guess.

Anna

Reactions: JC Okie

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
If you hold your vape...........you can vape anywhere without exhaling vapor..
I do that exact thing in a lot of places. I did it on a flight to and from the Dominican Republic. I just sat by the window, and hid my vape with both of my hands, and in my bag while inhaling. Be sure to take a couple of good breaths of air before you do it again, or you're likely to get super dizzy! Lack of oxygen because of vaping and holding it several times in a row will make you pass out.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
I brought my whole set up at the time (Smok R80 and a Cloud Beast King) through airport security in Austin, Maryland, and the Dominican Republic with no issues on Southwest airlines. I also carried several bottles of 30ml in my one allowed 1 quart baggie with no issues. I stealth vaped on the plane in my seat, and also stealth vaped in the bathroom. I just held it in til there was hardly any vapor, then let it out slowly. The alarm didn't go off in the bathroom. You could smell the fruity sweetness of my vape in the clean air of the cabin though lol. It could be mistaken for someone eating candy though. So no biggie.

Crystal_Skye

Aug 16, 2017
I have a flight on Southwest Airlines in a week and a half... according to my google find, Electronic cigarettes in legal gray area they don't allow.

bummer.
Just this past summer I brought my ecig on the flight. They don't allow them in checked baggage, but they can be in carryon. Unless they've changed it very recently, those are the rules. Please see this link for the info I've provided. This is Southwest Airlines policy.
What Can I Bring?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread