VAPE ON IT! walmart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
oh come to think of it yeah they do... (i fail)

disregard my stupidity

I'm a gun nut, I've been around guns my entire life, I carried a fully automatic M-16 in the Army at the age of seventeen, I am an officer with my local gun club, and I am an active supporter of the Second Amendment. That said I don't believe you to be "stupid" because of your views or opinions.

Many people, especially in the North East, are not aware of the culture in the many gun friendly states and have no reason to be aware of them. Maryland is not overly hostile to gun owners but many states in the area are, and living in the area you would most likely be exposed to the prevailing attitued, all your life if you grew up there.

The fact that you seem willing to listen to the "gun nuts" and and not disparage their point of view seems to show a class some here have failed to show you. The culture in gun friendly states is that it is not a big deal, and everyday occurrences reinforce the attitude. Arizona is one of the most gun friendly states there is, in fact, no permit is required to carry a gun, openly or concealed, by anyone not legally prohibited. Texas, my state, only allows people to carry concealed, and then only with a permit, but I digress.

So thank you for having an open mind on the issue, it is very rare since guns and gun violence is such a polarizing issue. If you don't wish to subscribe to the gun culture that is fine, just as we do not force everyone to subscribe to the vaping culture. I commend your attitude and willingness to look at other people's points of view, even if they are not native to you.

Thank you,
Jag :vapor:

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Ugh. Can't you hold your nic fit until you're in an appropriate place? You wouldn't smoke in Walmart, why do you need to vape there?

Maybe because he needed to convert a random stranger who needed a way off cigarettes and didn't know as much about vaping as she did before she met him? :?:

She said:
"awwwsome! does it work? I have been trying to stop smoking"

I said:
"It does.."(then I stated to talk about ECF and talking about mods and a starter like a e-go also told her don't buy one at a gas station)

What a day :D

Just a thought...

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Maybe because he needed to convert a random stranger who needed a way off cigarettes and didn't know as much about vaping as she did before she met him?

Maybe he could convert a random smoker by doing it near other smokers?

I guess I'm not 19 with a chip on my shoulder, have need to "look like I'm a rebel, smoking in places where you can't", or need stand out in a crowd more than I already do.

It is attitudes like the OP's that force people who don't understand what vaping is, to campaign their local government officials to lump vaping in with smoking and ban the whole thing.

You are not doing the vaping community any good with this attitude.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Because isn't an answer, it leads to the answer.

Although, I suppose we can deduce that your answer is actually petulance.

Actually I think with that reply we can be sure you're the one being petulant and that was probably your original intent too.

You don't need to do much of anything at any time, so why do you?
Why shouldn't someone vape where it's allowed just because smoking isn't?

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Actually I think with that reply we can be sure you're the one being petulant and that was probably your original intent too.

You don't need to do much of anything at any time, so why do you?
Why shouldn't someone vape where it's allowed just because smoking isn't?

No, my original intent was to ask why, and I did.

I got answered the way my teenager answers me when I question him; no real answer, just attitude.

In addition to the fact that businesses are private property and have certain expected decorum, see my answer above your post.

Last edited:

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas

I guess I'm not 19 with a chip on my shoulder, have need to "look like I'm a rebel, smoking in places where you can't", or need stand out in a crowd more than I already do.

It is attitudes like the OP's that force people who don't understand what vaping is, to campaign their local government officials to lump vaping in with smoking and ban the whole thing.

Who was offended? The woman who learned a new way (for her) to quit smoking and was grateful for the information? A random person who thought they saw smoke but figured someone else would deal with it? A random person who thought they saw smoke, looked closer and found it to be a PV and unoffensive? I know, an Anti-Nicotine and Tobacco Zealot, but they are lost causes anyway and personally I don't care if they are offended.

I'm not 19 (46), I don't have a chip on my shoulder, I'm not a rebel, but I do stand out in a crowd (6'3, 250 lbs, bald head). I vape in places where smoking is not allowed because vaping is allowed.

I choose not to vape in smoking areas, they seem to be the biggest bunch of anti-PV people I've found, plus it smells like crap. If they see me vaping and are interested I'll tell them all about it.

Basically, the more people we have on our side the better. People like us are on our side, the ANTZ are on the other side and will never be on our side, that leaves the large segment who've heard about e-cigs but have no experience and are open minded. These people will form an opinion based on which side has the better argument, the ANTS or us; and our best argument is, "see". Once they see and know it is unoffensive, and learn it is way better than smoking, they will not jump on the ANTZ side and demand a ban. That has been my experience, YMMV.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
I know, an Anti-Nicotine and Tobacco Zealot, but they are lost causes anyway and personally I don't care if they are offended

I don't shy away from, but I certainly don't try and offend these types of people.

These types are the ones with too much time on their hands and could be so offended they might want to campaign against.

Be scared of vaping in public? Absolutely not. I do it all the time and am a proud non-smoker, but lets call a spade a spade; Vaping without permission, in a private business like Walmart is not championing any cause.

I vape in places where smoking is not allowed because vaping is allowed.

Me too.

I prefer to ask an establishment if I can vape there, rather than just assume.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
I see your point Roland, and we seem basically cut from the same cloth. I don't have a lot of respect for Walmart, I worked there for a while and the managers are petty tyrants and the employees are zombies - not all by any means but the majority. None of the zombies have enough guts to tell you no, and the managers are usually too busy making sure the worker bees are behaving to worry about anything else.

My mom (rest in peace) was in and out of hospitals and rehab centers for two months earlier this year and I vaped openly whenever I had to. Taking care of someone with a debilitating brain injury (stroke) is horrific, and being able to stay by her and not run down to the smoking area was a godsend. I took up cigs again but only due to stress, but I also vaped in her room when "on-duty" and never asked permission and was never told I couldn't.

And I'm not saying I try to offend anyone, not my style. I am respectful, I ask in small shops, I just don't think you could find a person to ask at Walmar or Cosco, and asking the petty tyrants is a wast of effort. If someone in a position to tell me to stop asks me to stop, I will, but random people who may or may not be offended are different, most are curious, some are ANTZ, others are indifferent. I see it as an opportunity to educate, but if I don't feel like explaining I can be sneaky.

Jag

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
I try to keep my vaping in public to an absolute minimum just out of respect. I ONLY do it when I need to, not just because I can. I feel that a lot of people do it just because they can and are just looking and waiting for someone to say something so they can argue their cause. I truly believe that openly vaping in public places just because we can is gonna do more damage to the vaping movement then some realize. IMO

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
No, my original intent was to ask why, and I did.

I got answered the way my teenager answers me when I question him; no real answer, just attitude.

In addition to the fact that businesses are private property and have certain expected decorum, see my answer above your post.

The answer you got is the correct one. Vaping is not smoking. There is no reason to assume it isn't allowed other than it looks like smoking.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember before there were rules against smoking in department stores but you didn't find the manager to ask permission. When stores banned it they let it be known there was no smoking in their stores. When the law banned smoking in public for everyone else they let it be known.

In response to your post about permission, where was it said in this thread whether the OP had permission or not. Next time you feel like getting on your teen about attitude look in the mirror. Odds are they learned it at home because you certainly have it.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
The answer you got is the correct one. Vaping is not smoking. There is no reason to assume it isn't allowed other than it looks like smoking.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember before there were rules against smoking in department stores but you didn't find the manager to ask permission. When stores banned it they let it be known there was no smoking in their stores. When the law banned smoking in public for everyone else they let it be known.

In response to your post about permission, where was it said in this thread whether the OP had permission or not.

Lol, I think I have been out of highschool longer than you have been alive.

Because there's no "vaping allowed" sign, you cannot assume that it is indeed allowed. By that logic, can I also assume that because there is no sign, I can use my own backpack to hold my purchases before I pay for them? To the uninitiated, it may look like I was doing something else. I might be able to (use backpack/vape), if I ask permission first.

Your past smoking rules "argument" is invalid also, it bears nothing on what's being discussed here.

And come on, you have gone past the point of ridiculousness to assume that he had asked, and was given permission by Walmart to vape in the store.

There's a much better bandwagon for you to jump on.

Next time you feel like getting on your teen about attitude look in the mirror. Odds are they learned it at home because you certainly have it.

From your lack of understanding of the word "because", I'll take my teen's attitude, as long as he gets more out of the High-school English program than you did.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Ugh. Can't you hold your nic fit until you're in an appropriate place? You wouldn't smoke in Walmart, why do you need to vape there?

Would you say the same thing for drinking a bottled water or a soft drink? Vaping is not smoking and I don't think I'm smoking when I vape and so far neither has anyone else. So, why should I act like I am?

Because isn't an answer, it leads to the answer.

Although, I suppose we can deduce that your answer is actually petulance.

As others have said. it is you, with your confrontational attitude, that is displaying petulance.

First off your assumption that you are dealing with teenagers displays a level of ignorance that is hard to fathom. You're on a board loaded with ex-smokers. It stands to reason that they smoked for several years. They aren't going to be a bunch of college gamers.

Actually, I have vaped openly in many places in 4 states and I've never had anything but, positive feedback and curious questions. People that don't smoke tend to be intrigued not put off.

I would say that it is you that is doing the community a disservice. Most people haven't seen these things. If they never do, their only source of information will be the media and that's at best a dubious source. I would say that the people that campaign against vaping are either zealous busy bodies or have probably never been exposed to it.

I don't shy away from, but I certainly don't try and offend these types of people.

These types are the ones with too much time on their hands and could be so offended they might want to campaign against.

Be scared of vaping in public? Absolutely not. I do it all the time and am a proud non-smoker, but lets call a spade a spade; Vaping without permission, in a private business like Walmart is not championing any cause.

Me too.

I prefer to ask an establishment if I can vape there, rather than just assume.

If the establishment is small or it's a restaurant where it's convenient to ask I usually do and I've never been turned down. I'll add that even if I had been given permission, I would refrain from vaping if anyone around me objected. That has never happened.

In someplace like a large mall or a Wal-Mart, it's not that easy to ask but, I've never had a problem there either.

Because there's no "vaping allowed" sign, you cannot assume that it is indeed allowed. By that logic, can I also assume that because there is no sign, I can use my own backpack to hold my purchases before I pay for them? To the uninitiated, it may look like I was doing something else. I might be able to (use backpack/vape), if I ask permission first.

Your past smoking rules "argument" is invalid also, it bears nothing on what's being discussed here.

And come on, you have gone past the point of ridiculousness to assume that he had asked, and was given permission by Walmart to vape in the store.

Again that ignorant assumption that you are dealing with kids. I didn't finish high school but, I did get a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a large university in 1981. I seriously doubt you are a lot older than I am.

In my experience if you vape in a corner with an 808, you're going to have problems. You look like your sneaking a smoke. Vape openly with something that doesn't look like a cigarette and people are only curious and I've never seen anyone offended.

People do need to know what this is about and if we don't show them someone else will and that's a great way to get misrepresented.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

From your lack of understanding of the word "because", I'll take my teen's attitude, as long as he gets more out of the High-school English program than you did.

If you've got a teenager living at home it's doubtful you are older than me let alone been out of highschool longer than I've been alive. All my friends who've had kids are grandparents now. I've got a great niece who is probably older than you.

Given your attitude, thinking you know everything you obviously don't (such as the English language, "because" means "the reason", which is what you asked for, the conjunction "because" linked your question to the answer), admitting you use a backpack and your hidden age my guess is you're not 21 yet.

I don't know how things in Canada work, but here in the US unless we're told we can't do something it is assumed that we can. But just because you haven't been told ignorance of the law is no excuse so you'd better pay attention.
Restaurants don't need a "no pets" sign because it's a law but stores do. However it is so common to not allow pets it is courteous to ask if a place doesn't have a sign, since it is not common to ban e-cigs the courtesy of asking is really situational and has to be played by ear.

Uhh, you can put stuff in your backpack to hold before paying. It's not theft until you walk out of the store or approach the exit without paying, the point depends on the local laws. What do you think those canvas bags that you own and bring in with you are? I've seen people unloading backpacks at the checkout before.

If the local department store doesn't want people vaping all they have to do is put up a little sign at the entrance. Since Walmart sells e-cigs they know about their existence and there is no law against vaping in public it should be safe to assume it's OK until you're told otherwise, no differently than me assuming it's OK for me to chew gum in their store.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Would you say the same thing for drinking a bottled water or a soft drink? Vaping is not smoking and I don't think I'm smoking when I vape and so far neither has anyone else. So, why should I act like I am?

I would say if you're drinking water out of a liquor bottle, we have ourselves similar analogies.

As others have said. it is you, with your confrontational attitude, that is displaying petulance.

I asked the OP, of why the need for vaping in walmart. I got "because it's not smoking" from a different poster. I get not an answer, but an attitude.

First off your assumption that you are dealing with teenagers displays a level of ignorance that is hard to fathom. You're on a board loaded with ex-smokers. It stands to reason that they smoked for several years. They aren't going to be a bunch of college gamers.

You assume too much, and as such, I guess I can call you ignorant right back. I never stated anyone was a teenager. I compared the "I vape anywhere anytime, it's MY right" attitude to a 19 year old with a chip on his shoulder. That is a valid comparison.

Actually, I have vaped openly in many places in 4 states and I've never had anything but, positive feedback and curious questions.

I do the same, and I agree.

I would say that it is you that is doing the community a disservice. Most people haven't seen these things. If they never do, their only source of information will be the media and that's at best a dubious source. I would say that the people that campaign against vaping are either zealous busy bodies or have probably never been exposed to it.

Explain to me, how I am doing the community a disservice.

Again that ignorant assumption that you are dealing with kids. I didn't finish high school but, I did get a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a large university in 1981. I seriously doubt you are a lot older than I am.

Does the poster who probably incorrectly assumed I was younger than him get a pass from you? Again, you ignorantly assume facts not in evidence. I don't know how old you are, nor do I care. I am posting to the OP when not quoting, and directly to the individual poster when I quote.

In my experience if you vape in a corner with an 808, you're going to have problems. You look like your sneaking a smoke. Vape openly with something that doesn't look like a cigarette and people are only curious and I've never seen anyone offended.

People do need to know what this is about and if we don't show them someone else will and that's a great way to get misrepresented.

No grey area for you? Black and white only? The opposite of vaping openly with an attitude in Walmart, is to hide away? Give me a break.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Given your attitude, thinking you know everything you obviously don't (such as the English language, "because" means "the reason", which is what you asked for, the conjunction "because" linked your question to the answer)

Entirely wrong.

me said:
You wouldn't smoke in Walmart, why do you need to vape there?

other poster said:
Because vaping isn't smoking.

That's a reason for need?

admitting you use a backpack and your hidden age my guess is you're not 21 yet.

Wow, assuming age from accessories. Good job

Uhh, you can put stuff in your backpack to hold before paying. It's not theft until you walk out of the store or approach the exit without paying, the point depends on the local laws. What do you think those canvas bags that you own and bring in with you are? I've seen people unloading backpacks at the checkout before.

Uhh, A person commits the offense of shoplifting when they conceal merchandise from a store without having purchased the items. The law does not require that the person actually remove the property from the premises.

Canvas shopping bags are open topped. Backpacks (yes even the expensive ones we adult hikers who live in the mountains use) can conceal merchandise. It is the store's discretion whether to allow you to use one or not.

If the local department store doesn't want people vaping all they have to do is put up a little sign at the entrance.

Who said walmart doesn't want vaping in their store? Perhaps they do. I would ask permission first.

no differently than me assuming it's OK for me to chew gum in their store.

Yeah, gum puts out clouds of vapour that look like smoke.

To those that have attitude with my attitude, what the hell is wrong here? Did you get 8mg instead of your regular 36? Can you not hold off having a vape til you're in a public area, or have asked permission to do so? I'm all for civil disobedience when it is of benefit to all, "I can because I can" is just weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread