VAPE ON IT! walmart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You seem to be doing an awful lot of assuming so why shouldn't anyone else? You're the one who assumed you were out of highschool longer than I'd been alive even though you have a teen at home while I'm old enough to be a grandparent. You assume the OP is some 19 year old with a chip on his shoulder even though he'd have to be at least 21.

I'm sorry but unless "Northern BC" means northern Brown County I think I'm more familiar with how things work in the US than you are. They have to make sure you at least attempting to leave the store with the unpaid item before they can do anything but tell you not to conceal it. If they go any further no court can convict and the store opens themselves up to civil suit.

I wouldn't ask permission, I'm generally not in Walmart long enough to bother vaping and I'm not taking a leisurely stroll to enjoy it. I don't care what someone else does.
The OP would and it sounds like nobody official said a word about it.

Face it, you're completely off base here. Generally when you think you're the only sane one in the room you're not.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I would say if you're drinking water out of a liquor bottle, we have ourselves similar analogies.

I don't think so. With a PV that resembles a cigarette, you might have a point. However, you will note that I said later in that post not to use an 808. There's a reason I did. I think it's a bad idea to use PVs that resemble cigarettes in public.

I asked the OP, of why the need for vaping in walmart. I got "because it's not smoking" from a different poster. I get not an answer, but an attitude.

No it wasn't. Your question was impertinent. You might as well have asked why he had to wear a red shirt in Wal-Mart or drink coffee in Wal-Mart. You actually got a reasonable answer once you realize that the OP didn't see anything offensive about vaping. Implicit in your question is the assumption that there is something offensive about vaping. He very effectively nullified that implication which is probably why you view the answer as attitude.

You assume too much, and as such, I guess I can call you ignorant right back. I never stated anyone was a teenager. I compared the "I vape anywhere anytime, it's MY right" attitude to a 19 year old with a chip on his shoulder. That is a valid comparison.

I don't think so. Let's look at a couple things you said:

I guess I'm not 19 with a chip on my shoulder, have need to "look like I'm a rebel, smoking in places where you can't", or need stand out in a crowd more than I already do.
Lol, I think I have been out of highschool longer than you have been alive.

The first statement could be construed as reflecting and attitude rather than an age but, that's a bit if a stretch. The second statement says flat out that you believe you are significantly older than the person you are speaking to.

I stand by my assertion. You're on a board that is loaded with ex-smokers. If you quit smoking by vaping, you probably did it in the last few years because these devices haven't been available all that long. As a general rule people don't quit smoking a year after they start. It's usually at least a decade. Cigarettes haven't been to anyone under 18 for longer than that. So, it stands to reason that very few people on this board are going to be under 30 and most will be significantly older. So yeah, it's ignorant for you to think you're that much older than anyone on here.

Explain to me, how I am doing the community a disservice.

Happy to.

The reason main people objected to smoking and it was restricted is that people didn't like the way it smelled and the stinky ashtrays and butts everywhere. Scinetifically the evidence for health concerns about second hand smoke is actually pretty flimsy and it probably wouldn't have gained any traction without the other issues.

Fast forward to vaping. Not many people are familiar with it. While you can smell the vaper, most don't find the smell offensive and it doesn't stick to you the way smoke does. There are no stinky ashtrays or butts. The health implications are in the same ball park as smelling coffee. However, not many people know about it.

You said you have vaped in public and agreed with me when I said, that I've gotten a negative reaction. So, why would vaping Wal-Mart necessarily be an in your face thing? You get enough positive reactions, it's natural to assume it's okay. You do it, more people know about it and we as a community are better off.

As far as an in your face attitude, I agree that's not something we want to be doing but, simply vaping alone isn't in your face. If it's taken that way then, I agree, stop doing it.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
#1 Walmart is not a public place. You have no right to assume you can do anything in Walmart that does not have to do with a shopping experience. Bringing in outside drink, vaping, using non standard bags, etc.; these are all possible, once one knows the stores rules.

#2 Concealment is a crime in the US. Whether you approach an exit or not.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=Shoplifting

#3 I made a comment in how the attitude of "I can vape anywhere I want" is similar to a 19 year old with a chip on his shoulder and I stand by that.

#4 my simple question to the OP of why do you need to vape in Walmart was answered by someone else with because vaping is not smoking. Not an answer to the question, and because I was quoted, I consider that trolling and responded in kind.

#5 My age was called into question first

#6 Vaping in Walmart will not win the war

#7 If I knew vaping was associated with such lunacy as I have witnessed here today, I never would have bought a kit.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You ignore the following sentence, "with the intention of converting the merchandise to the taker's personal use without paying the purchase price". The only way to prove that intent is to wait for them to make a move for the exit without paying or you happen to be able to see inside of their pockets to see that they don't have the money to pay.
Even if the state has a concealment law if you grab someone before they display intent it becomes a hard case to win.

I'd say you were the one trolling by coming into someone's happy time story and trying to crap on their parade with a rant against public vaping in places where smoking isn't allowed. If that Walmart cared about them vaping the story would've been one of those "Boycott Walmart" threads.

wickedalibi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2010
montana
I am not irritable, ill-tempered, or peevish. It was my understanding that when I put down the analogs 6 months ago that I no longer smoked. Why should I act like one? I vape in public places until asked not to. I have been told no in a one place, a bowling alley, bar combo. The owner is a friend and they had a previous incident where someone was vaping and a intoxicated patron thought it was smoke and lit an analog up. I very politely said "sure" and put it away.

There are rules posted everywhere about backpacks, smoking, and firearms posted all over stores concerning their policies about each one. I have yet to see a no vaping sign. If such a sign was posted I would never vape in the establishment, but then again I would think twice about spending my money there.

Most shopping malls have a vapor store or a kiosk in them and vaping is allowed so why not in Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread