Vaped3d Coil Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Anyone buy one of these? Only been out month or so and they seem to be backed up. Wondering if anyone has experience.

Even does fused claptons.

This seems like more work than actually making a fused Clapton or a Clapton off a spool. I'm assuming it's marketed towards people who have never made a Clapton before because wrapping a wire around a core or 2 is mindless easy work.
This insults me because it creates a notion that Claptons & fused Claptons are hard to make.

Let's see it make a 3 core & keep the cores parallel. Or a staple. Or an alien.

There are fishing spoolers that have been around for years that do the same thing this does.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Just outta curiosity how much are they?
I can see these being ideal for people wanting to make and sell Clapton or fused wire but do you really need to crack out all that just to make a bit of wire for a couple of coils?
It's way more work setting that thing up than it is to make an actual fused Clapton.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Looks pretty easy to set up actually. Just run the wire in the hole in the leg then get a few wraps started and press go.
To me it seems like more work setting up the thing than actually just holding the spool to wrap the core(s). It's almost like cheating, and I highly doubt it could do a 3 core and keep it parallel

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
This seems like more work than actually making a fused Clapton or a Clapton off a spool. I'm assuming it's marketed towards people who have never made a Clapton before because wrapping a wire around a core or 2 is mindless easy work.
This insults me because it creates a notion that Claptons & fused Claptons are hard to make.

How much wire did you waste when you were learning how to "mindlessly" make them?

I get it may not be for everyone or every build but seemed like a pretty ingenious way of getting new people to start wrapping their own. I know I've went threw 100 foot spool of 26g and 2 100 foot spools of 34g before making a decently wrapped wire. Not saying this is better or worse then the old fashioned way, just seemed less likely to frustrate new people.

Seems there is a lot of people interested since the store is backordered until mid Feb.

Reactions: defdock

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
To me it seems like more work setting up the thing than actually just holding the spool to wrap the core(s). It's almost like cheating, and I highly doubt it could do a 3 core and keep it parallel

Probably couldn't do a 3 core. Not sure.

For a single strand or dual core it seems easy to set up and works perfect according to reviews.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Probably couldn't do a 3 core. Not sure.

For a single strand or dual core it seems easy to set up and works perfect according to reviews.
Two fingers on the spool seem easier. I use swivels with a drill that has a speed lock so it doesn't really make a difference to me. It just seems like a waste of money

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Got one on the way price isn't too bad it peaked my interest being able to make long lengths without having to worry about overlapping and backing up the wire ....and it seems it can handle high drill speeds

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Let me know how it works out for you.

We are in the process of relocating, so I'm not really able to pick one up with a 2-4 week back order. Not sure where we will be in a month.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω

We are in the process of relocating, so I'm not really able to pick one up with a 2-4 week back order. Not sure where we will be in a month.

if you have to do it this way i dont see why you wouldnt just go get a plastic mouthed clamp from the hardware store.

i can see people buying this or using clamps, not understanding whats going on and ending up with a long length of spaced clapton.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
if you have to do it this way i dont see why you wouldnt just go get a plastic mouthed clamp from the hardware store.

i can see people buying this or using clamps, not understanding whats going on and ending up with a long length of spaced clapton.

The idea for me was that I could do 20 feet of fused Clapton. Then pre cut the sections and store them at work, in the car and at home.

I liked the idea of running long lengths of wire at a time. My current set up with a vice and swivels only allow about 3 feet runs, so right now I am setting up multiple times and any imperfection must be cut out. This device allows longer runs at one time and minimal if any imperfections.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
The idea for me was that I could do 20 feet of fused Clapton. Then pre cut the sections and store them at work, in the car and at home.

I liked the idea of running long lengths of wire at a time. My current set up with a vice and swivels only allow about 3 feet runs, so right now I am setting up multiple times and any imperfection must be cut out. This device allows longer runs at one time and minimal if any imperfections.
That's a great idea :)

Well i don't know if your aware but if say you start off with gapped clapton wraps before you trap the wires then you will continue to form gapped wraps ;)

Reactions: Daddy

Poeb09

Verified Member

Will do
That's a great idea :)

Well i don't know if your aware but if say you start off with gapped clapton wraps before you trap the wires then you will continue to form gapped wraps ;)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daddy

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
How much wire did you waste when you were learning how to "mindlessly" make them?

I get it may not be for everyone or every build but seemed like a pretty ingenious way of getting new people to start wrapping their own. I know I've went threw 100 foot spool of 26g and 2 100 foot spools of 34g before making a decently wrapped wire. Not saying this is better or worse then the old fashioned way, just seemed less likely to frustrate new people.

Seems there is a lot of people interested since the store is backordered until mid Feb.
I just kind of picked it up quickly. My first Clapton was a $4 cost - $2 for 5ft of 30 & $2 for 5ft of 24g. Just kind of figured it out quick. Off spool work isn't hard. The most wire I've wasted have been on complex builds. Mainly interlocking aliens or things like multistrand high gauge core framed wraps, and aliens 40g & up.
Nothing I do is "mindless" as you so eloquently put it. Right now I'm working with square wire wraps to see what works and what doesn't.
But hey, if you wasted that much wire getting a simple wrap down, I guess that's part of your learning process.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
I just kind of picked it up quickly. My first Clapton was a $4 cost - $2 for 5ft of 30 & $2 for 5ft of 24g. Just kind of figured it out quick. Off spool work isn't hard. The most wire I've wasted have been on complex builds. Mainly interlocking aliens or things like multistrand high gauge core framed wraps, and aliens 40g & up.

That's good. Better then people I know. Usually the learning curve on wrapping is a little longer. You can see that clearly in the tools and tips and tricks videos and the hundreds or thousands of views each get. Even the experts over lap in simple single strand claptons on occasion.

Nothing I do is "mindless" as you so eloquently put it.

Actually your eloquence in post #2 is where "mindless" came from. But someone of your stature should know that already.

Right now I'm working with square wire wraps to see what works and what doesn't.
But hey, if you wasted that much wire getting a simple wrap down, I guess that's part of your learning process.

Okay, so this device is obviously not for you. Why the need to post condescending remarks? Why not skip over the thread? Hell simply inserting pre wrapped coils is intimidating to a lot of people let alone twisting their own wire up and then building a coil. Perhaps you have forgotten.

There is obviously a demand for a device like this or else they wouldn't be sold out and back ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread