• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

vapeing in a government building

Status
Not open for further replies.

olfajarley

Jan 21, 2012
Bremerton, Washington
Banned from E-cigs off duty? What official instruction are the looking at that says people can't use a E-cig off duty?

I got no clue what instruction.....and the official part is the CO making it so. Since I have got out I have been saying "The best thing I ever did in my life was join the Navy the next best thing I did was get out". It decisions like this that make it hard for people to stay in

krazynavybiker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I got no clue what instruction.....and the official part is the CO making it so. Since I have got out I have been saying "The best thing I ever did in my life was join the Navy the next best thing I did was get out". It decisions like this that make it hard for people to stay in

That's just sad. I even vape in my work space on the ship with no problem. My Chain of Command thinks it's great I gave up cigs.

Last edited:

olfajarley

Jan 21, 2012
Bremerton, Washington
I get that people don't know about e-cigs......what bothers me is that, they don't want to know, and make decisions without information. Not just "The Navy" in my case, but congressmen and politicians. Washington state is trying to get e-cigs to conform to the same standards a tobacco. You watch its only a matter of time before liquid nicotine is taxed, and it will be at the distributor level so it won't matter if you buy on line or at a brick and mortar store ....it will all be expensive

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
Discretion is key, IMO. I'm an Army NCO in a joint office where I have several sailors who work in my area. One of them is a smoker and is interested in picking up a PV because of our discussions about them. I vape at my desk but discreetly. Fortunately, my office is enclosed so nosey people can't see me. I haven't seen any instructions or regulations that prohibit it. If someone tells me I can't do it, they're going to have to gear up for a serious argument because I'm a paralegal NCO in the JAG corps and my specific duty pertains to military justice. The government's prohibitions are using "tobacco" products in government buildings. These aren't "tobacco" products.

Kresh

May 2, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Being a senior NCO in the Army, MI Corps, has been interesting. As a PLT SGT, I never hesitated to vape in my office. Deployed, I was in an international joint environment. I educated alot of people about it and discretely vaped. Now though, I'm at an Air Force Base. AF does have prohibitions making it equivalent to smoking policies. Generally still work in and around Army personnel, but more discreet than ever. Alot of times just holding it in until there is no vapor left to exhale. I do that on flights too, just so that there is no question. I use the V3 from puresmoker so it doesn't "look" like an e-cig and most assume it is some type of inhaler and never bother to ask. If they do, I tell them exactly what it is and they are really surprised.

StrikeEagleCC

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2011
Tucson
I've been vaping in the Air Force for about 8 months now. As I understand it, The Air Force classifies PVs as tobacco products, and limits their use to "designated tobacco use areas." I work flightline, so there's always lots of people everywhere, and it's not worth the risk of the wrong person seeing me using it in the wrong place, so I just conform. I would be nice to see the branches make a more informed decision however. I do think that the overall health related costs of members' tobacco use could be lowered by incentivizing the use of PVs. One easy way to do that would be to allow them indoors.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
I vape inside everyday. The only thing I have gotten is a second look from time to time when they first see it(to make sure it's not an analog). There is only one order(USMC)so far and it's a base order in Virginia banning use of pv's inside. My SNCO said he has no prob w it. Many dip inside an this is far less offensive.

Jared
That's great. To me, it's common sense. Even if I didn't vape, I'd let my Soldiers vape indoors. The only exception is customer service and the appearance of professionalism.

Kytrix

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Coming up fast for me, 3 more years if I don't pick up E-7

I recently picked up PFC - Proud Free Civilian

Used to smoke a cig-a-like in our comm warehouse and at the office. Got a weird look from the Commander when he stopped by, but not sure if it was the ecig or the IBC Root Beer bottle that he couldn't see the label on... or the ashtray I kept on my desk for novelty and to have a place for the ecig to rest. Come to think of it, I wasn't a very good airman. Oh, well.

Kytrix

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Navy working with USAF SF and I do vape at my desk however I have been told about the AFI that states it is considered a tobacco product. The TSgt that I work with does not care but he has warned me about the SMSGT. When he is in the building I just go to the smoke pit

They published an AFI about it? Wow... that's far quicker than I'm used to seeing regs come out on anything. Especially considering it took HOW long to get ABUs into 36-2903.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread