• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

vapeing in a government building

Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Myself and the guy I share an office with are both former smokers who vape now. Nobody else in our office... So we vape all day, nobody says a word.

We're also both retired submarine Chief's... So if anyone were to ever say anything, we would probably send them screaming down the hall with a stream of toilet paper lit on fire stuffed between their .... cheeks... LoL!

Ahh, it's good to be the old retired Chief in the building...

hawley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
www.youtube.com
I started out vaping with most of the other smokers outside, or stealth vaped with my head in my locker... getting a little braver now, vaping in the lunch room or on the can. I usually don't blow any gigantic clouds of vapour though like I do at home.

One of these days one of my Sgt's or the Warrant will probably put an end to it, but until they do, none of my peers seem to have a problem with it.

blackcatchief

Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
Virginia Beach
I've been vaping in the Air Force for about 8 months now. As I understand it, The Air Force classifies PVs as tobacco products, and limits their use to "designated tobacco use areas." I work flightline, so there's always lots of people everywhere, and it's not worth the risk of the wrong person seeing me using it in the wrong place, so I just conform. I would be nice to see the branches make a more informed decision however. I do think that the overall health related costs of members' tobacco use could be lowered by incentivizing the use of PVs. One easy way to do that would be to allow them indoors.

That's funny!!! I am a proud member of Naval Aviaiton now for 22 years. I wouldn't take the chance of vaping on the flight line mainly because it is not allowed, not that I might be seen. You should have nothing on you or in your pockets when your are working on the flight line or on aircraft. Just you, your uniform and your tools.

jShipp

Mar 15, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
They published an AFI about it? Wow... that's far quicker than I'm used to seeing regs come out on anything. Especially considering it took HOW long to get ABUs into 36-2903.

It's in AFI 40-102. The Air Force surgeon general classified them as "tobacco products" back in 2010 but I'm unsure when it was actually added to the AFI

SRusackas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
At our weapons school house, no rules prohibit vaping, so we have two choices. Vape wherever till the OIC gets fed up and shuts it down for everyone, or police ourselves and keep our department looking professional with some rules. So we are doing the smart thing and writing our own instruction. Places we intend to prohibit vaping:
In class or in laboratories.
In formation
During quarters, training or formal meetings
In the p-ways (hallways) or elevators
during evolutions where distractions are unsafe
When transiting outside the building (for example walking to the parking lot)
In someones personal office unless invited to do so.
In the galley and messdecks during meal hours

There are a couple other times I think, but I cant remember them right now.

The goal of this is to keep all of us looking professional and military, and not giving anyone a reason to ban it to the smoke deck only. This basically just identifying when vaping isn't appropriate. Things people should already know, but if they didn't now they do!

EatBacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Wherever the ARMY sends me
I really don't see any issues with it as long as it is done respectfully. In your office or out of the public (so to speak) eye should not cause any alarms. I hear something about a new reg which could effect it though. I just found this military part to the site and think that it is a good idea.

Not only do I work with a bunch of medical peeps ("smoking is bad, mmkayyy!"), but I work in the office of "Standardizations & Evaluations", and you can imagine what that means. I used to just go out to the smoke pit, but I've become so busy that now I just vape on the way to work, during lunch, and after I get off. I'm a vapor-machine at home, but it's cuz I enjoy it (zero nic).
TO ALL YOU WHO VAPE IN PLACES OTHER THAN "Designated Tobacco Areas": if your bosses are okay with it, I envy you so much; however, if you are 'sneaking' or under the radar, please don't get caught! lol

On another note...if one vapes zero nic, does that still make an e-cig a "tobacco product"? (lol...it's sad that any USAF 'boss' who's against vaping will answer YES to this, and, technically, will be correct...so sad.)

...either way, good luck!

armoworrior

ECF Veteran
I do on occasion vape at my desk but only devices that dont let out too much vapor. My drippers are for outside or not at work at all. I have a protank w8th a vertical micro coil that I like using at work. Good light draw super easy. It has cotton stuffed around it . That is the only one I would use at work.

nharmsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2013
Belleville, Illinois
Not only do I work with a bunch of medical peeps ("smoking is bad, mmkayyy!"), but I work in the office of "Standardizations & Evaluations", and you can imagine what that means. I used to just go out to the smoke pit, but I've become so busy that now I just vape on the way to work, during lunch, and after I get off. I'm a vapor-machine at home, but it's cuz I enjoy it (zero nic).
TO ALL YOU WHO VAPE IN PLACES OTHER THAN "Designated Tobacco Areas": if your bosses are okay with it, I envy you so much; however, if you are 'sneaking' or under the radar, please don't get caught! lol

On another note...if one vapes zero nic, does that still make an e-cig a "tobacco product"? (lol...it's sad that any USAF 'boss' who's against vaping will answer YES to this, and, technically, will be correct...so sad.)

...either way, good luck!

Unfortunately it is covered under AFI 40-102... Does not matter if it has nic in it or not! I do vape when I'm pulling a weekend shift with one other person, who doesn't care. Otherwise I go out the front doors for a bit.

I am like you and I do not have nic in my vape either! I do remember seeing a post about someone vaping in their house with a bird. They got the bird tested for nicotine and other "harmful substances" and it all came back a-okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread