• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

vapeing in a government building

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyCrusher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
There is an AFI against it because it doesn't look "Professional"

It's the military.. there are countless contradictions.

On that note, I vape at work, but discretely for the most part. If you think no one at work cares, I promise "someone" will. What if its *-0 outside and the smoke pit is half a football field away. Some Tsgt needs his fix but doesn't want to go out there, sees you chillin in the heat vaping away. Bickering will ensue, and someone will stop it.

"If everyone can't do it, no one can do it"

WileECoyote

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2013
Woodbridge, VA, USA
www.zidrate.com
More people are curious than anything when I vape. I do it in my own office but don't flaunt it because I don't want someone to make a reminder that they need to ban it. As far as my wife goes, Portsmouth Hospital does not allow any kind of smoking, chewing or vaping. It is the CO's discretion when it all comes down to it.

There is an AFI against it because it doesn't look "Professional"

It's the military.. there are countless contradictions.

On that note, I vape at work, but discretely for the most part. If you think no one at work cares, I promise "someone" will. What if its *-0 outside and the smoke pit is half a football field away. Some Tsgt needs his fix but doesn't want to go out there, sees you chillin in the heat vaping away. Bickering will ensue, and someone will stop it.

"If everyone can't do it, no one can do it"

Lol. I deal with this all the time. My flight superintendent is cool with it. Just the flight commander and up throw a fit about it. Its stupid but hey, what can you do? Its all about "professionalism in the workplace" right?

TexasTanker19kilo20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Copperas Cove, TEXAS
I get a mixed reaction talking to soldiers from a post near me "Fort OPSEC" when I ask what their Company take is on vaping.

So far I have gotten mixed answers after asking them. The following answers are from a variety of enlisted, E fuzzy-E6.

1. The 1SG vapes in his office and so do I.

2. Almost all the smokers are vaping now and we vape inside and get more work done.

3. The Co says NOGO, but we stealth vape anyway.

I get a mixed reaction talking to soldiers from a post near me "Fort OPSEC" when I ask what their Company take is on vaping.

So far I have gotten mixed answers after asking them. The following answers are from a variety of enlisted, E fuzzy-E6.

1. The 1SG vapes in his office and so do I.

2. Almost all the smokers are vaping now and we vape inside and get more work done.

3. The Co says NOGO, but we stealth vape anyway.

It's crazy because alot of senior leadership dip inside. I think a spit bottle sitting on someones desk is way more unprofessional than vaping.

JasonG

Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
West Texas
For me, it's simple. I'm active duty Air Force, there is a regulation that prohibits it anywhere except designated tobacco use areas. End of story. Not trying to be the goody two-shoes here, but one of the ways the military sets itself apart as a sect of society is adherence to regulations, and discipline that goes beyond personal desires and feelings. If you're willing to compromise those things, even with best intentions...

I can't speak to other branches, but if you're in the Air Force, this has been decided and published...it's a no go. Until it changes, everybody that does it "because no one cares" or "my boss said it was OK" leaves me shaking my head.

For me, it's simple. I'm active duty Air Force, there is a regulation that prohibits it anywhere except designated tobacco use areas. End of story. Not trying to be the goody two-shoes here, but one of the ways the military sets itself apart as a sect of society is adherence to regulations, and discipline that goes beyond personal desires and feelings. If you're willing to compromise those things, even with best intentions...

I can't speak to other branches, but if you're in the Air Force, this has been decided and published...it's a no go. Until it changes, everybody that does it "because no one cares" or "my boss said it was OK" leaves me shaking my head.

I'm active duty AF myself about to be out the door (gettin out on my Date of Separation). The AFI is there. No doubt or question about it. But when you think about it, many people don't follow the regs to the T. And this is commanders and higher leadership. It's the way of the land. Regulations wont ever be followed 100%. Hell even in deployments, AFIs are broken on a constant basis. Im usually around commanders and upper leadership and the only thing they dont do is smoke real cigs indoors. But as far as vaping and chewing goes, it all goes out the window. Part of the reason why I want to get out. Theres too many double standards here and others need to police themselves. Call it what you want but thats my view on it. Don't check me if you're not in line yourself.

DSPIVEY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
NCR

What reg is this. I don't Vape inside but I would just like to know.

DSPIVEY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
NCR
I'm active duty AF myself about to be out the door (gettin out on my Date of Separation). The AFI is there. No doubt or question about it. But when you think about it, many people don't follow the regs to the T. And this is commanders and higher leadership. It's the way of the land. Regulations wont ever be followed 100%. Hell even in deployments, AFIs are broken on a constant basis. Im usually around commanders and upper leadership and the only thing they dont do is smoke real cigs indoors. But as far as vaping and chewing goes, it all goes out the window. Part of the reason why I want to get out. Theres too many double standards here and others need to police themselves. Call it what you want but thats my view on it. Don't check me if you're not in line yourself.

When it comes to deployments a lot of things go out the window. A lot of our regs were not written for a deployed environment and that is just the way it is. To many people in the service don't realize that. The majority of our regs are written at peace time and don't carry well into a war zone.

When it comes to deployments a lot of things go out the window. A lot of our regs were not written for a deployed environment and that is just the way it is. To many people in the service don't realize that. The majority of our regs are written at peace time and don't carry well into a war zone.

This is straight out of AFI 1-1 Chap. 1 Para 1.9:

1.9. Air Force Instructions. The Secretary of the Air Force approves the promulgation of all Air Force Instructions (AFIs). Unless expressly stated otherwise in a particular instruction, or a waiver has been granted by the appropriate authority, all Airmen must follow AFIs. AFIs do not provide optional guidance, and failure to comply with AFIs can result in disciplinary action.

This basically doesn't make deployments the exception. Even in the beginning of almost every AFI, it states:

This instruction is directive in nature and failure to adhere to the standards set out in this instruction can form the basis for adverse action under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). An example would be a dereliction of duty offense under Article 92.

Not arguing but fact is fact. I've dealt with people before who thought they were above the regs and i've had to shoot them down quick fast.

TexasTanker19kilo20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Copperas Cove, TEXAS
I was only in for 10 years, within those ten years I dipped anywhere I could and my senior leaders were right there with me doing it. As long as we stayed clean about it by not leaving spit bottles laying about, everything was ok. Vaping/ dipping/ smoking where your not allowed is one of those little perks that we allow ourselves to remind us that we are not just ROBOTS. Those units that enforce every little Regulation are the worst, cause those are the Blue Falcons that will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.

If you are a soldier that can honestly say you have never ever broken any reg, including "ducking the flag at COB" then you deserve a metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread