Vapeing when you first wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Yup, I wake up and eventually get around to taking my first vape and use to cough a lot, and then when I go to work I don't vape for the 9 hours that I'm in my office and once I get in my car to drive home, I vape and use to cough my head off again.

Found the easiest way not to was simply to take about 3 tiny puffs from my vape and then after that I can usually take more normal sized hits without coughing. For me it's purely the moisture of the vape that immediately irritates my lungs after they've not had any added moisture for 9 hours of sleep or 9 hours of work.

When I smoked, I never coughed in my later years even if I got up at 3AM to go have a smoke, they just didn't make me cough. Which is not to say that they never did, but the AM smoke never did for me.

Last edited:

VapnWitch

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
VA, USA
I had that problem with coughing while vaping first thing until I started drinking a lot when I woke up. I had a huge issue with staying hydrated before I started vaping (and it became necessary to enjoy the vape), so now I drink at least 8oz (usually 12-16oz) within the first half hour or so after I get up and alternate the water with my coffee. I typically end up vaping a few minutes later than I had my first cig, but it doesn't cause me to cough anymore. I vape mostly 70%+ VG, and found that cutting down PG helped a lot also.

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
When I first start vaping in the morning it definitely irritates my throat a little bit and causes me to cough and sometimes choke my head off. After a few pulls through it clears up. Though I use the 12mg nicotine usually and I noticed it was easier if I had my tank filled up with 3mg liquid. It didn't irritate my throat nearly as much it seems so next I'm gonna try some 6mg to see if that's my happy middle ground.

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
Hydration for me, along with lower watts and smaller puffs.

But I only have to puff 4-5 times at 13 watts then I can bump it up to 25 watts. This is with coffee.

Yes, it's a KBOX.

I vape a tobacco/WTA blend in the mornings. My throat was sore after I quit smoking and it took about a week-and-a-half to get over it. So glad I quit smoking.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I have paid close attention to this phenomenon as it happens to me each morning. I have performed little experiments and discovered that it is not due to either nicotine levels or PG/VG ratios. It happens to myself no matter what nic level or ratio I am using..... My theory (no proof) is that it is caused by a type of desensitization. I am assuming that during sleep time when not vaping then we go without vaping for a period of time and our bodies return to a normal balance. But when we take a hit after not taking one for awhile it seems harsh and we may even cough. But after a few small puffs of vapor our bodies start to desensitize to the vapor and it starts to "seem" less harsh. I have also noticed that if I chain vape during the day that my vape provides less of a throat hit while chain vaping. But, if I force myself to not take a puff for a few hours then the first time I take a puff then the throat hit once again seems stronger.

Reactions: Johntodd

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
    Aug 19, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana, United States
    On my first hit of a morning I first make sure i have gotten up, used the restroom then gotten me something to drink. Then after i have quenched my thirst i take my first hit. It is a little rougher in the morning but i handle it alright. Much better then I did cigs in the morning. Hell I usually didn't hit a cig when I first woke up. I was one of those odd smokers that waited an hour or so first. Just because of how dry my mouth tends to be in the morning lol

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    Anyone else cough like crazy when they first wake up and try to vape?

I've been like that with cigs also, I smoked for many a years now and quit BUT, I would wake up and try a drag or so from the cig and cough a lot unless I took small hits. The cigs also made me super light headed and dizzy in the early morning drags after sleep.

The vaporizer just makes me cough a lot when I hit it after I get up it seems to bother me even a few hours after like I just have to cough for a bit then I can do it fine after.

I might try 100%vg no nic juice, I'm currently using 60/40 6% nic juice cause the crappy shops here only do 60/40 and I hate them and am waiting on juice I ordered online. Drinking water also stops the coughing from being as long lol but doesn't seem to help at all.

questions comments anything you've seen?

I've just always vaped juice with less TH when I wake up; also, when I first started and it was a bigger problem, I often turned the power down for those soon-after-waking hits. I dunno if I've gotten more used to it, or my lungs have improved somewhat, or both, but it's not as big a problem as it used to be.

Andria

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
    Aug 19, 2014
    Lebanon, Indiana, United States
    I've just always vaped juice with less TH when I wake up; also, when I first started and it was a bigger problem, I often turned the power down for those soon-after-waking hits. I dunno if I've gotten more used to it, or my lungs have improved somewhat, or both, but it's not as big a problem as it used to be.

Andria

That is what I did in the beginning. I dialed it down. Now I can keep it at the same but still need the occasional smaller hits.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    It took me a while to get used to vaping in the morning. Now I have no problem but then I do other things first before that first vape.

I remember needing that cig almost immediately upon waking. In fact, if my eyes opened, I would be awake. Now... I know what sleeping in is like! :D I don't feel that Need to get up and have that cig. I look at the clock and think, I can sleep a little longer.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    The first thing I do when I get up is drink a big glass of water. I know that in the morning, I will be somewhat dehydrated, and that alone will make whatever I vape more harsh. I DIY all my own juice, and I don't like any flavors that are too harsh, first thing in the morning. I always keep a bottle of unflavored nic around, which is the same ratio as my flavor juices, 6mg. I will often dilute the flavor juice with the unflavored, sometimes by as much as 50%.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I always keep water beside the bed and use it to take my morning meds. Once I've done that I can then take my first vape of the day but still have to start with tiny puffs. By the time I have my first cup of coffee sitting in front of me my throat is primed and ready for a day of vaping.

I used to be able to talk with a lung full of smoke but do cough if I try to talk with a mouth/lung full of vapor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread