Status
Not open for further replies.

onion456

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Houston, TX
Hello All,

I've been vaping for about 2 months now, and have aquired the scourge known as Vaper's Tongue twice now. Lasts several days, the first time was the worst, i could not taste much of anything, not even most foods. This last time, i can taste foods ok, but most of my juice flavors have gone dead. i can still smell them. The sense of sweetness seems to have been most affected. Both times, I made serious efforts to rehydrate, per everyone's reccommendations, and it definitely does seem to help although progress is slow.

I am just wondering what is known about this phenomenon, my wife is concerned that im going to get mouth cancer or something. Any info out there?

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
You know, this happens to me periodically and I never knew it was a thing until I read your post. Then I did a search of "vaper's tongue" and, wow, apparently it's quite common! All this time, I thought it was some freaky problem that just happened to me :p

I've never had taste buds affected to the point that I couldn't taste food, though. All that happens to me is that I'm periodiclly unable to taste the vapor for like 1-3 days. This happens maybe like once every 4 weeks, something like that. My best guess is that it has to do with the heat of the vapor causing a mild burn which, like any tongue burn, affects the taste buds until it heals.

The reason I think that is because I've been using a Joye 510 for a long time and that produces a pretty warm vapor. I didn't realize just how warm until I recently got a Joye eRoll. That produces a much cooler vapor and my tongue has been a lot happier. I still use my 510, but by switching off between the two devices, it's made a big difference for me.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Don't really know. It's one of these things that would fall under the category of "fun things" to research - for which no one will every pony up any funding.

My own supposition is that you start off with your bruised and battered smoker's taste buds. (You know what your tongue looked like from smoking. GACK!) And you have your initial impression of vaping tastes with that tongue. I know I read something about how many weeks it takes for the taste bud cells on your tongue to get completely replaced. And when you reach that point when your tongue has been fully recycled, so to speak, vaper's tongue hits. It's like your tongue has to learn about vaping sensations all over again.

My totally unscientific theory.

The good news is it happens less frequently as you go. I remember it happened early on for me. Then about six weeks later. And maybe once more 90 days after that. Now? I can't recall - it's been well over a year.

When it happens: strong flavors. Menthols, clove, cinnamon... stuff like that. Those were the only flavors that got through when my tongue went flat.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Yeppers it's a real thing for sure.

I'm also really sure it well NOT cause Mouth cancer, I'm not a doctor or a scientist, a neurologist or any such like them but from what I've read and such things should be read with a grain of salt is that Nicotine contains no carcinogens that cause Cancer.

Like I said this is what I've read only, and am simply repeating. Like many things, we should research them if needed.

Have a great day.

onion456

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Houston, TX
i dont think its caused by heat. i pulled hot cigarette smoke into my mouth for 28 years and never once lost my sense of taste. (altho the sensation does seem similar to when you burn your tongue on a hot liquid and cant taste anthing afterward). im also using EVODs and protanks, which are a much cooler vape.

yes im inclined to believe that there is nothing in the ejuice that will cause cancer... however other things can cause cancer too, like radiation. my tongue is about 1.5 inches from a glowing red coil, that is radiating heat... do i think thats the cause? no.

howbout a possible chemical burn? perhaps the PG... when you accidentally get some juice in your mouth, it can be quite peppery... or perhaps its the nic itself, suspended in this unique vapor concoction. do we know the PH value of ejuices? what if it is highly acidic, or highly basic? we know soda pop is very acidic and doesnt cause taste loss, but its also in liquid form.

i think this, being a very common side effect of vaping, should warrant a little investigation, dont you?

Wheezy

Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
OC
Fascinating! I'm new to Vaping, and am most definitely concerned about the health risks as it is so new. We all want to beleive that it's "better" than smoking; and in some regards I believe that it most definitely IS. However, there are clearly some side effects to which the cause seems unknown.

Couldn't agree with Onion456 more. This should be alarming to all of us and definitely warrants to investigation.

Rickg

Aug 17, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I'm going with chemical burn, since some people mentioned it seems to be more common with strong flavors. Something similar occasionally happens to tobacco pipe smokers and is called tongue burn. The standard remedy (and preventative) is Biotene mouthwash, toothpaste, mouth spray, and improved technique. Perhaps vaping less or using different flavors could also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread