Vapes on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonexistentman

Jun 1, 2015
One of the guys that works at my local vape shop went to the army recently and I heard something about him not being able to take his rda on the plane. They said that it was because wires were showing or something of that nature. Is this common? I'm supposed to go to NY soon so I'd like to know if it'd be possible for me to take my ipv4 and mutation x v4 along with extra 18650s and a charger.

Jack H

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
Kunming, China
Huh? Can't vape on a plane? Taken last March.......
plane vape.jpg

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I've flown with a messload of devices both in my luggage and in my carry-on. Never have I gotten so much as a question (although one TSA employee was concerned about the amount of coins/quarters/pennies/etc., in my bag).

As a sort of relevant aside: please don't vape on a plane. That's the kind of .... that'll ruin vaping for the rest of us, and get us pinned as "more inconsiderate than smokers" (something I've genuinely heard, and in certain circumstances, agree with). Among other things, you may cause a panic in the plane as other people see smoke and assume "something bad is happening."

Don't vape anywhere you wouldn't have smoked. Simple.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Huh? Can't vape on a plane? Taken last March.......
View attachment 468170

It is illegal to vape on a commercial aircraft.

Smoking of electronic cigarettes is already banned on U.S. air carrier and foreign air carrier flights in scheduled intrastate, interstate and foreign air transportation. See 49 USC §41706 and 14 CFR Part 252 (Part 252). Nevertheless, we plan to further address this matter in a notice of proposed rulemaking (sic) that would amend the existing general regulatory language in Part 252 to explicitly ban smoking of electronic cigarettes aboard aircraft. –Susan Kurland, Asst. Secretary for Aviation and International Affairs, USDOT, June 17, 2010.

Reactions: Kaezziel

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Have flown many times with vaping gear, never any problems.

You are supposed to carry any batteries with you in carry-on, not checked.
Liquids (and I include pre-filled tanks in that class) need to go in your quart baggie (or in checked luggage).

Interestingly enough, very recently I was flying on American. Both the flight out and the one back were very full, so they had to gate-check a bunch of bags. As part of the instructions, they said "Please make sure you remove any prescription medications, important documents <etc> and e-cigarettes before checking your bag". This is apparently now a standard message as they said exactly the same thing on both flights!

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
It is illegal to vape on a commercial aircraft.

Smoking of electronic cigarettes is already banned on U.S. air carrier and foreign air carrier flights in scheduled intrastate, interstate and foreign air transportation. See 49 USC §41706 and 14 CFR Part 252 (Part 252). Nevertheless, we plan to further address this matter in a notice of proposed rulemaking (sic) that would amend the existing general regulatory language in Part 252 to explicitly ban smoking of electronic cigarettes aboard aircraft. –Susan Kurland, Asst. Secretary for Aviation and International Affairs, USDOT, June 17, 2010.

Have flown many times with vaping gear, never any problems.

You are supposed to carry any batteries with you in carry-on, not checked.
Liquids (and I include pre-filled tanks in that class) need to go in your quart baggie (or in checked luggage).

Interestingly enough, very recently I was flying on American. Both the flight out and the one back were very full, so they had to gate-check a bunch of bags. As part of the instructions, they said "Please make sure you remove any prescription medications, important documents <etc> and e-cigarettes before checking your bag". This is apparently now a standard message as they said exactly the same thing on both flights!

Not only that, I've flown on Virgin America a few times. During the cutesy little flight instruction song before takeoff they show someone puffing (what appears to be) a Blu when they mention "no smoking or e-cigarettes." It'd be funny if they had someone chucking clouds with a mech.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
I dont see why this keeps coming up...is it really that big an issue? I dont find it that hard to go 5 or 6 hours without vaping. I just put it in my checked luggage, its not worth it to me to make a hassle for TSA and myself, have them confiscate my mod, take it apart and destroy it, or have to leave it or miss the flight or something...I just put it in my luggage bag. They dont know what it is, even if they do they dont know it isnt some kind of weapon made to look like a mod, why deal with that?

kkiet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
I've flown with a messload of devices both in my luggage and in my carry-on. Never have I gotten so much as a question (although one TSA employee was concerned about the amount of coins/quarters/pennies/etc., in my bag).

As a sort of relevant aside: please don't vape on a plane. That's the kind of .... that'll ruin vaping for the rest of us, and get us pinned as "more inconsiderate than smokers" (something I've genuinely heard, and in certain circumstances, agree with). Among other things, you may cause a panic in the plane as other people see smoke and assume "something bad is happening."

Don't vape anywhere you wouldn't have smoked. Simple.
I totally agree with you about not vaping on a plane.

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
Hes a bit of info i picked up on flying and how they screen ppl. If you order your ticket within a few days of flying thats a automatic screening they will pull you aside. If you buy a one way ticket yet again you are a suspected terrorist and will be pulled out of line. So if you fall into any of this may be wise to put your mod in you check in bag.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Hes a bit of info i picked up on flying and how they screen ppl. If you order your ticket within a few days of flying thats a automatic screening they will pull you aside. If you buy a one way ticket yet again you are a suspected terrorist and will be pulled out of line. So if you fall into any of this may be wise to put your mod in you check in bag.

What?

I've bought a ticket literally at the airport, the same day I was flying, and I received the "TSA pre-screen skip everyone in line" thing on my boarding pass (they usually give it to old fogies). And they don't consider you a suspected terrorist if you buy a one-way ticket.

The screening doesn't tend to be "random" but it isn't rigidly based on what type of ticket you buy.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Batteries must be in your carry on luggage.
Best to get info from the source ----> Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices | Transportation Security Administration
Liquids go in quart size ziplock with other liquids.
You can put liquid in your checked luggage, be sure to double or triple bag it.

There are no US based airline that allow vaping on board, all have info on their websites stating so.
The FAA has recommended to the TSA to not allow the Innokin coolfire 2 on board, it isn't rule yet, but I'd bet it will be shortly.

Reactions: twgbonehead

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
They used to pick one-way flights for special screening, but that was a while ago (and because the 911 guys all bought one-ways).

But I would echo what Topwater said. YOUR BATTERIES AND INTERNAL-BATT MODS SHOULD GO INTO YOUR CARRY-ON AND NOT BE CHECKED!!! There's a very good reason for this, so I ask you to please follow the TSA guidlines here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread