Vaping 3.5 years, but have not kept up on vaping technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisKate

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Illinois, USA
Hand-holding needed :blush: I very recently came down with a serious case of "shinyitis", and within the next few days, about 14 pieces of vapemail is going to hit my mailbox. Now that my shinyitis fever has broken, I'm starting to feel those awful "buyer's remorse" symptoms coming on. I don't really regret buying new gear, because it's been a couple of years since I have. It's more a case of being worried that things have changed so much that I'll be in for a struggle to try and achieve a satisfying setup out of the pile of goodies that's on the way.

My vaping started out in '09, with the little white cig-alikes that lit up on the end. Then, after a year I went off-the-wagon and back on stinkies for a few years. Around the end of 2013 I checked out the vape gear again, and got an Ego type pen. Thought that was mighty fine at the time, but quickly advanced to iTaste VV3, and the MVP2's (had 3 of those) with mini Protanks. In February 2014 I quit cigarettes for good. Have not had even a puff since, although I confess to dearly wanting one on occasion. I learned to DIY my liquid, and learned to rebuild my protank coils. I've exclusively made my juice and coils for several years now.

After my MVP phase, I got a Vamo V2, and thought that was the bomb-diggity! I am on my third Vamo now, V6, with a Kanger Genitank, 1.8 ohms. I "thought" I was still in the loop with vaping technology, and kind of quit looking at different gear, quit visiting the forum, quit watching YouTube vids that had taught me so much. But s-l-o-w-l-y I began noticing that my gear no longer looked like what other vapers were using. I started pulling my head out of the sand, and realizing that people were vaping at unheard of (to me) wattages, and sub-ohm? What the heck was that?

So, that's when that shinyitis virus found a ..... in my awareness, and NOW I want to get up to speed! And so the buying binge began... But I have a very distinct way in which I like to vape, and I'm concerned that this new stuff may not please me after all. I know that vaping is not the same as cigarette smoking, but I'm not ashamed to say that I still want to get as close to that smoking sensation as I can. I don't go for the fruity flavors. I want to taste tobacco, with a hint of cool menthol. I want to have a slightly warm vape, with a little kick, but not harsh. I guess I am now classified as a MTL vaper. I don't care for a big airy, cloud-filled draw. It seems to me that a very airy, straight to the lungs, with huge vapor cloud is what a lot of people enjoy now. I just don't think I will.

The highlights of what's heading my way...
SMOK AL85 with TFV8 BB, and the RBA deck
Eleaf iStick PICO with Melo3
Sinuous P80 kit
Joyetech evic Primo mini kit
Vaporesso Gemini RTA

I will give these a try as they were meant to be used, BUT, if I don't likey, I am hoping that I can rip those sub-ohm coils apart, rebuild at a higher resistance, dial down the watts, and everything will work for me and I'll be a happy camper who is no longer so out-of-date with technology. I have a good selection of wire, and I'm not afraid to try lol. Will be lots of trial and error, I'm sure.

If you've read this far, thank you! And if you have any words of encouragement or advice, thank you a LOT.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
About six months ago, I found myself in the same situation: Experienced, off-and-on vaper whose technology was seriously out of date, but still enjoyable.

I still use my Protank II's, my Evods, my X10's and iClear16's (those are for testing). I still use my Vamo V3 and V5, my collection of eGo VV's and a Chi You clone.

Shinyitis hit me too. I now have three Pico's, two Subtank minis, two Baby Beasts, an Anyvape Sega that needs work, a Cleito tank that I never use, a Tron-S, a Tron-T, a Vaporesso Estoc and two Top Tank minis on the way.

I didn't think I'd like the big clouds either, but that style grew on me. A big, moist cloud kinda takes the place of the throat hit I get from a higher nic liquid in a Protank II and honestly, the necessary reduction in nic level stretches out my nic supply. Flavors are a little muted but not by so much that it's not enjoyable.

The gear you have on the way is tuned towards larger clouds, but there's nothing wrong with dialing down the power, closing the airflow and switching to a smaller bore drip tip. Some of that stuff, like the Smok kit, won't play very nice like that. But if you have a 510 tank and can build a 1-2 ohm coil in it, you'll be fine and you might be ok with an occasional cloud that grows on you.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Shinyitis can make for fun antiquing! This was when I first got the cabinet and no longer keep liquids in it because the top shelf is full of tanks

upload_2017-8-9_16-50-44.png

MisKate

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Illinois, USA
About six months ago, I found myself in the same situation: Experienced, off-and-on vaper whose technology was seriously out of date, but still enjoyable.

I still use my Protank II's, my Evods, my X10's and iClear16's (those are for testing). I still use my Vamo V3 and V5, my collection of eGo VV's and a Chi You clone.

Shinyitis hit me too. I now have three Pico's, two Subtank minis, two Baby Beasts, an Anyvape Sega that needs work, a Cleito tank that I never use, a Tron-S, a Tron-T, a Vaporesso Estoc and two Top Tank minis on the way.

I didn't think I'd like the big clouds either, but that style grew on me. A big, moist cloud kinda takes the place of the throat hit I get from a higher nic liquid in a Protank II and honestly, the necessary reduction in nic level stretches out my nic supply. Flavors are a little muted but not by so much that it's not unenjoyable.

The gear you have on the way is tuned towards larger clouds, but there's nothing wrong with dialing down the power, closing the airflow and switching to a smaller bore drip tip. Some of that stuff, like the Smok kit, won't play very nice like that. But if you have a 510 tank and can build a 1-2 ohm coil in it, you'll be fine and you might be ok with an occasional cloud that grows on you.

Thanks, Cowboy. Your reply makes me feel a lot better. I've already realized (too late) that people aren't as cracked on the Smok AL85 as some of the others I ordered. But oh well, I might be different and like it. It's good to hear that you are still a fan of some of the older stuff I've been using. I'm also happy that I will be able to use my new gear dialed down a bit! I feel more confident now that I will be able to find a sweet setup, and I'm anxious for it to get here!

Reactions: Letitia

MisKate

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Illinois, USA
Shinyitis can make for fun antiquing! This was when I first got the cabinet and no longer keep liquids in it because the top shelf is full of tanks

View attachment 678017
That's really nice, Steve. I've been considering various shelves/cabinets in my house to house my new, growing collection!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
That's really nice, Steve. I've been considering various shelves/cabinets in my house to house my new, growing collection!

At first it was a shelf in my Network Rack that I quickly outgrew so I started searching until I found this Danish Oak Curio Cabinet which I believe is almost 100 years old.

Lady M

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Oregon
When your looking at Mods take a look at the Smoant Battlestar , it is a very nice quality Mod and under 60.00 . I have the AL85 and the Pico which by the way is a good little mod.The Battlestar has features you may not want to use at this time, but as tanks evolve your Battlestar is going to fit right in with technology. This is an amazing Mod I have 3 because I am a Matchy Matchy type.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Thanks, Cowboy. Your reply makes me feel a lot better. I've already realized (too late) that people aren't as cracked on the Smok AL85 as some of the others I ordered. But oh well, I might be different and like it. It's good to hear that you are still a fan of some of the older stuff I've been using. I'm also happy that I will be able to use my new gear dialed down a bit! I feel more confident now that I will be able to find a sweet setup, and I'm anxious for it to get here!
Dosen't matter what others think, what does matter is that you find something you like, i for one have nothing against the baby alien mod, but the big baby beast tank i hate to the point i can't recommend it to anyone. Their coils don't seem to last very long even on clear juices, and don't like being chain vaped alot. I've used the rba section that comes with it though and even if it's better it's too small to even think about using full time (i basically would need a magnifying glass to make coils on it). Then again everyone might have different experiences.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... But s-l-o-w-l-y I began noticing that my gear no longer looked like what other vapers were using. I started pulling my head out of the sand, and realizing that people were vaping at unheard of (to me) wattages, and sub-ohm? What the heck was that?

Yeah... Things sure have Change over the last couple of Years. And things that would have been consider on the Edge of the Envelope (or even Off the Envelope) are Now the Norm. If not a little Bland.

LOL

But a Tank with a RBA is something that Never gets Old or goes Out of Date. Because you can Build it with a 1.8 Ohms Coil if you like. Or some Exotic, Multi-Wire Coils at Ultra Low Ohms that take Mega Wattages to fire.

SkuttleBug

May 8, 2013
San Antonio
MisKate our stories are so similar it gives me goosebumps. I love what I have and love how it hits. 1.5 ohm w/11W's and I'm am golden. I haven't got into the sub ohm stuff. Tried but just can't find what works to get me what I want out of it. Good luck in your search. I know I will need some.

I am using a KBox mini-c with a subtank mini and a 1.5 OCC coil. I was scared to get away from my vamo....but I love it. It is small and is easier to transport than the Vamo. Now I still feel like I'm out of the loop. Don't know if I want to try for the TC mods or not. Im torn because I really like what I got. I am looking for a different MOD just to get something new. soooo the search has begun.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread