Vaping after disaster with champix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasjas

Aug 26, 2016
Ah right called champix in UK & chantix elsewhere , anyway both same. Yes nasty feelings, took it for 6 weeks, then cut down to half dose as felt so depressed, then stopped it dead a week ago. Knew the risks/side effects but took it anyway. It got me off the fags but has messed with my head. Never felt so depressed in my entire life. Anyway I had been vaping with zero Nic for my quit but tried a tiny amount of 3mg Nic today and surprise depression has lifted a lot! Wondering if combo of no Nic & nasty champix caused these feelings .

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Congratulations on quitting @Jasjas.

I quit smoking before there was vaping, for well over 5 years using chantix.

Worked great for me.

5 years later went thru a stressful period where I started smoking a little again, by that time vaping came along, so i switched to vaping to try it out and avoid going back on cigarettes.

My brother who I tried to get into vaping had a lot of problems with it. He went on nicotine gum / lozenges instead and has been quit for 4+ years now.

The whole point of NRT and harm reduction is to get off the cigs. I really don't care what people use.

GLAD you found what works for you!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I tried just about every way possible to stop smoking, but vaping has been the only one that finally worked. I did have a friend successfully stop smoking with Chantix, so I decided to give that one a try too. I kept smoking while I lost all taste for coffee.

Sorry you had such a bad row of it. Some people can get quite depressed from it, so best that you did stop when you realized that.

Jasjas

Aug 26, 2016
I quit smoking before there was vaping, for well over 5 years using chantix.

Worked great for me. Went thru a stressful period where I started smoking a little again, by that time vaping came along, so i switched to vaping to avoid going back on cigarettes.

My brother who I tried to get into vaping had a lot of problems with it. He went on nicotine gum / lozenges instead and has been quit for 4+ years now.

The whole point of NRT and harm reduction is to get off the cigs. I really don't care what people use.
Yes ! It's what works for each individual in the end by the chosen method

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
It's an Innokin ( I think ) on charge at the mo ☺️
Nice, Innokin makes good stuff. I have their Endura T18 kit but I don't use it very often because I prefer rebuildable devices where I can make my own coil from a spool of wire and a roll of cotton, rather than keep buying the replacement coils for the Prism tank (that comes with the T18 kit). I have a few others but mostly what I use these days is a Vapor-Shark device, with a Kayfun Lite tank (one of those rebuildables I was talking about) on top. It's got some "battle scars" as you can see, but it's still my favorite :):

iQZTaYDl.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Jasjas. Welcome to the ECF.

Good to Hear that e-Cigarettes are Helping You. They helped me Kick a 20 Year Pack-a-Day Habit.

I have known 3 People who have used Chantix.

One tried it and it Didn't Work.
One tried it and Cut Down. But felt Strange and Stopped. And Started Smoking Again.
One tried it and after 4 Days decided that Jumping out of a 7th Story Window at 3:30am was a Good Idea.

Thank God she woke up her boyfriend as she started to climb out the widow. And he was able to Stop Her.

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome @Jasjas! Quite glad you have found something that is working better for you!

I wonder if the "approved" methods for quitting smoking kill enough people, they'll consider that "successful" methods of smoking cessation.

Oops - did I say that out loud? Terribly sorry!

Anyway - you're safe here!

Cheers!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Grats to quitting!! :thumbs: As everyone says, "Whatever works for you."

I was a pack-a-day smoker for over 30 years. Over the last 10 of those, I really tried to quit using the nicotine gum/patch/lozenge, Wellbutren, and even hypnosis (twice) -- none really helped at all. I gave up smoking when I began vaping on the first try. Not only was it a nicotine replacement, it simulated the behavior of smoking which the other methods did not, and which I believe was the reason for vaping's success for me.

I'll admit I had extra incentive to quit when I did. By sheer coincidence, the very week that I began vaping my mother (lifetime nonsmoker) found out that she had cancer and was dead within 2 weeks. That was a lifechanging moment in my life and I knew that if vaping didn't help me quit I'd be following her to my grave before my time.

A former co-worker buddy tried Chantix. He complained of night sweats and nightmares of chasing wife and daughter with a kitchen knife. He's still a smoker to the best of my knowledge. I couldn't get him to try vaping.

My ex-wife is a cop and a smoker. She has tried Chantix a few times over the last few years, unsuccessfully. I always thought to my self, being a cop she's the last person who should be on Chantix because of its potential side effects. I loaned her a couple of different vaping devices over the years in an attempt to help her quit smoking, but she's not organized enough to keep batteries charged in order to vape, so used that as an excuse to continue smoking.

Bottom line, you really have to be DETERMINED and WANT to quit in order to do so. Very few people have been lucky enough to quit by going about it half way serious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread