Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Add Zyban / Wellbutrin to the list.

Just as bad or worse based on my own personal experience.

Well, I was unable to take that, I had hallucinations.

However, for many people, not just for quitting smoking but for depression, etc. it works great and there are a great many people who CAN take it. My doctor said it is so mild that he can prescribe it for his pregnant patients.....it's an older drug w/proven efficacy.

The strange visual effects I got while taking it are, apparently, rather rare, but it IS in the literature. My doctor only had one other patient who ever had these visual effects so I guess I am rare.

Every thing you do is going to have "some" kinda side effect. I am not at all completely blind to fact that I don't believe inhaling food flavorings into the lungs is as good as breathing fresh air, and we do not know what the future holds for 2 or 3 decades of doing such things. That is why I consider vaping as harm reduction but not harm free. I certainly would not vape if I had not been trying to quit smoking.

That is why prescription drugs often help people stay alive, change a behavior, or possibly, harm them. It can go many ways. There is risks involved and everybody should weigh risk/benefit to their individual profile.

I just had eipidural shots in my spine, my herniated disks were just hurting so bad, to point of interferring with my daily living and ability to drive, etc. I was very scared, there are a ton of bad things that can happen once you have your spine "punctured" like this.

However, I received about 85% relief from my sciatica and pain, so I can get back to hiking and swimming and thankfully, nothing "bad" happened to me from having the procedure.

They make you sign this paper with a long list of all the things that can go wrong though. You have to make these decisions. MOST people have no problem.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Bottom line, you really have to be DETERMINED and WANT to quit in order to do so. Very few people have been lucky enough to quit by going about it half way serious.

You noticed my previous reply to this statement maybe ;) ... anyway I was one of the lucky ones, but I really think once/if you can cross a certain threshold with vaping it ceases to be much of a case of luck or determination.

The biggest reason I would probably have never been talked into Chantix is fear it would work! While on one level I wanted to quit, on another I really liked smoking. At the same time I don't really believe that somehow tricking your mind into not wanting something will entirely make all of your body's need or acclimation to a substance immediately go away.

Vaping broke that impasse. What I realized quite early on was how enjoyable it could be. At the time, that required a little more luck than in does now. What wasn't clear to me was how it could eventually surpass and replace smoking, but I could see a gradual, adjustable path ... leading off somewhere ... and some of its rewards.

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Hello there .. I'm new to vaping & I like it . Tried quitting with champix -dangerous stuff!! Vaping is helping a lot!
    Yeah. Been there. Got me locked up in a psych ward after a suicide attempt [emoji20]

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Its funny how common " well-butrin" is prescribed. Everyone Ive ever known that has been on it did not do so well.

Experience was as minor as just loosing their sense of humor and feeling like "spock" version of themselves to really a mess of emotions.

Now I see why there are a whole lot of odd people out there, wellbutrin/ stepford people.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    You noticed my previous reply to this statement maybe ;) ... anyway I was one of the lucky ones, but I really think once/if you can cross a certain threshold with vaping it ceases to be much of a case of luck or determination.

The biggest reason I would probably have never been talked into Chantix is fear it would work! While on one level I wanted to quit, on another I really liked smoking. At the same time I don't really believe that somehow tricking your mind into not wanting something will entirely make all of your body's need or acclimation to a substance immediately go away.

Vaping broke that impasse. What I realized quite early on was how enjoyable it could be. At the time, that required a little more luck than in does now. What wasn't clear to me was how it could eventually surpass and replace smoking, but I could see a gradual, adjustable path ... leading off somewhere ... and some of its rewards.

I can relate to the "liking" cigarettes.
    I started vaping and amazingly quick, I could not handle the taste and smoke anymore. I do miss the "act " of smoking, the way it feels in my hands, the draw, and yes, even the aroma.

I still enjoy when I walk past someone smoking and take in whiff of it. I do wish I could enjoy just a puff, but it makes me sick. I dont mind the smell of other smokers, though a very few people that smoke do smell bad. Dont know if its their brand or chemistry but only a couple people Ive known have retained the cigarette smell so strong.

Ibitz

ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2015
    Johnson City, TN, USA
    I don't remember which one of those stop smoking drugs my doc prescribed for me. It was about 20 years ago. She bugged the hell out of me to stop smoking, and since I wanted to badly, she finally succeeded in talking me into it. I was a waitress in a very fine Italian restaurant. Two hours before my shift I took my first pill. By the time I took my first order from a customer I had lost all of my short term memory. It went that way all through my shift....it was horrible!! I had to write everything down or I would not remember it by the time I got to the service station or the computer to put in the order. It freaked me out! I went home after work and flushed $50 worth of pills down the toilet and said never again. Smoking will just have to kill me I guess. Her answer to me when I told her it happened was that I should have called her and she would have told me to take it at night. Yikkes, no thanks! Thank God for vaping. I quit smoking 2 days into vaping and have been cigarette free for 3 years and 7 months :)

Reactions: MikeyConti

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Its funny how common " well-butrin" is prescribed. Everyone Ive ever known that has been on it did not do so well.

Experience was as minor as just loosing their sense of humor and feeling like "spock" version of themselves to really a mess of emotions.

Now I see why there are a whole lot of odd people out there, wellbutrin/ stepford people.

You can add memory loss with long term use to that list. It's actually a common side effect.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    You can add memory loss with long term use to that list. It's actually a common side effect.

Thats all I need....wonder if it made things worse. I have problems with short term memory and ticks , which are also a common side effect of made anti-depression meds. Many time its temp but its here to stay with me.

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Crap. Does memory come back, or are you doomed for life? My short term memory IS terrible.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread