Vaping and dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
That's true... but since non of those apply to me (as far as I know) I have to attribute it to the only thing that has changed in my daily routine for the past 5 years (and it's probably been longer than that since I've gotten a leg cramp). That one thing that changed is me vaping rather than smoking. And that changed occurred about a month ago and it was just last week that I developed said cramp.

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
That's true... but since non of those apply to me (as far as I know) I have to attribute it to the only thing that has changed in my daily routine for the past 5 years (and it's probably been longer than that since I've gotten a leg cramp). That one thing that changed is me vaping rather than smoking. And that changed occurred about a month ago and it was just last week that I developed said cramp.

as noted on the first line of the Mayo Clinic piece ..

Most of the time, true night leg cramps occur for no known reason

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
as noted on the first line of the Mayo Clinic piece ..

AledgedlyMost of the time, true night leg cramps occur for no known reason

Fixed that for you.

I'm sorry but I know of nothing dealing with he anatomy or for that sake in life that happens for no reason. Cause and affect... Push pull... every action has a reaction ect... I've never gotten a cramp, had a stomach ache, head ache or anything else for no reason. There was always a reason... drank too much, didn't drink enough... ate something bad and on and on. I'd have to disagree with Mayo Clinic on this one but what do I know...

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Fixed that for you.

I'm sorry but I know of nothing dealing with he anatomy or for that sake in life that happens for no reason. Cause and affect... Push pull... every action has a reaction ect... I've never gotten a cramp, had a stomach ache, head ache or anything else for no reason. There was always a reason... drank too much, didn't drink enough... ate something bad and on and on. I'd have to disagree with Mayo Clinic on this one but what do I know...

the word aledgedly does not appear in the piece ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Oops!
Didn't mean for my 2cents about vaping not causing dehydration to cause such a fuss.

There is no fuss .. I simply don't care for information that is based on speculation .. there is no proven science that shows the e-cig causes any degree of dehydration .. and until there is, anything is pure guess ..

The science indicates the e-cig does not cause dehydration .. coming off an analog addiction is a different story ..

We should be more concerned on the effects of various liquids, burning cartomizers, etc ..

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
There is no fuss .. I simply don't care for information that is based on speculation .. there is no proven science that shows the e-cig causes any degree of dehydration .. and until there is, anything is pure guess ..

The science indicates the e-cig does not cause dehydration .. coming off an analog addiction is a different story ..

We should be more concerned on the effects of various liquids, burning cartomizers, etc ..

As has been stated previously, WHERE is the science to refute that vaping doesn't cause dehydration. What we do have is numerous accounts of folks that experience mild dehydration symptoms while vaping, and I want to see something to refute it as the cause. My own experience and body reaction is telling me that it is mild dehydration.

No, I don't have any science. All I have to go in is the accounts of others, and what I experience myself. I for one would like to know absolutely 100% scientifically based one way or the other. Just taking someones word isn't going to be good enough for me.

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
This is a spirited discussion, not a fuss at all. A very healthy discussion.

I totally agree. This is a very healthty discussion. I do I don't know one way or the other as there are no long turn studies that I've found on the matter. As said earlier all I can use to gauge this is my own body and personal experience. Those two things and those alone have told me that I need to up my water intake. If you listen to your body it really will tell you what's going on.

Nokosa

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Maryland - United States
www.youtube.com
I can attest to e-cigs dehydrating. While it may not cause a person to go into dehydration in the traditional sense, it does, in fact, exert more water from the body than not vaping at all.

When I first started vaping, over two years ago, the concept wasn't much of a concern. I vaped more, drank roughly the same, and noticed, over time, symptoms of dehydration. It caused me a rough bout of constipation (tmi, I know), which I quickly recovered by adding more water into my daily routine.

Never before was I affected by the amount of water I drank until I vaped - and vaped like a madman.

So, scientific proof it may not be, from my experience, vaping definitely does dehydrate.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I got into the habit of drinking a lot of water when I was trying to lose the 25 lbs I gained when I tried to quit smoking. It's hard at first if you aren't in the habit but it gets easier and you do feel better. And your skin does look better, I have to admit. I drink 4 of those water bottles that I refill either with plain water or green tea. That's 64 oz. I try to drink a glass of water for every cup of coffee I drink too. The dentist told me to do that so my teeth don't get stained. I also drink more when I'm working out.

I'm pretty much water logged and pee every 5 minutes like a puppy.:laugh:

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
OK, from a scientific standpoint PG and VG ARE going to make you FEEL like you are dehydrated with anything they come in contact with. In other words, they are very likely the cause of your sore throat, etc. Will they cause dehydration? The answer is no. However, the minimal amount of fluid that is absorbed is likely to INCREASE the FEELING of dehydration by people whose water intake is ALREADY lacking.

In other words, vaping is NOT going to cause you do BE dehydrated. But it CAN and WILL cause you to FEEL like you are dehydrated. I am just applying the known properties of VG and PG here. The physical affects of vaping on the body can only really be answered properly by a medical doctor. Which I am obviously (judging by the lack of fast cars, mansion, etc) NOT!

In this case, I really think BOTH sides are saying the SAME thing here. We KNOW that vaping will cause you to FEEL dehydrated if done without adequate water intake. We also KNOW that it will NOT cause you to BE the clinical definition of "dehydrated." You're both right!! However, if you are already dehydrated (which according to the clinical definition, most of the populous IS due to lack of sufficient water intake) PG and VG CAN exascerbate the issue in that it will make you FEEL more dehydrated.

Now! Everyone...GROUP HUG! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread